riggz

8 Ch DVR + Cameras for under $600?

Looking for a quality DVR with 8 Ch (BNC) to replace the current old junk EverFocus that meets the following requirements:

Motion recording (only records when it detects motion)

PTZ cruise recording

Smart phone access

I currently have 1 PTZ dome camera that will be used with the new DVR, and will need cameras that do the following:

2 - Indoor cameras that cover 800-1200 sq ft each (2 separate rooms)

2 - Outdoor cameras that have a range of about 130 ft. (good enough to read a license plate at about 100' day or night)

1 - Outdoor camera that has a range of about 60 ft.

Looking to keep this under a $600 budget if possible. I already have a hard drive so the DVR can be w/o a hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Sir,

My name is George Boyle from Dxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx CCTV. I have a bunch of great products I think you would be very much interested in and in your budget. Please give us a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx and we would be pleased to help you build a system for your home.

Thank you,

George Boyle

[mod edit - no selling on the forums; please read the rules]

[mod edit - no selling on the forums; please read the rules]

My name is George Boyle from Dxxxxx Wxxxxxxxx CCTV.

George. this is your 6th log in name in 2 weeks. you do know you can keep using the same one ???

Not interested in anyone selling stuff to me. Looking for opinions from consumers using similar equipment.

hi. $600 is not going to get you much.

2 - Outdoor cameras that have a range of about 130 ft. (good enough to read a license plate at about 100' day or night)

thats $400 gone already to get licence plates day and night. with two cameras.

again another $400.

this is before you have bought a good D1 DVR

So how much for a good DVR? Was looking at the Q-See QS408 for $169 but not sure on the quality.

Picked up a couple of the QS-408s at a CompUSA in FL. Installed one today at my work shop and was very disappointed in the fact that it does not work with IE. I chatted with their tech support and was informed that the plugin for IE crashes. I asked if there was any fix and was told "no." So the only way to view it remotely is with FireFox by installing an IE Tab plugin. Quite the PITA. Probably going to return them both and look for something else.

Looking for a quality DVR with 8 Ch (BNC) to replace the current old junk EverFocus that meets the following requirements:

Motion recording (only records when it detects motion)

PTZ cruise recording

Smart phone access

I currently have 1 PTZ dome camera that will be used with the new DVR, and will need cameras that do the following:

1 - Outdoor camera that has a range of about 60 ft.

Looking to keep this under a $600 budget if possible. I already have a hard drive so the DVR can be w/o a hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Based on your budget, it may be a little tough to find the solution you are looking for, but let's take a look at what the current market has to offer.

1. The DVR -

Does it have to real time? What is your desired recording resolution and rate? What Everfocus model were you using? There are 8 channel DVRs that are being sold for around $100, but that's not likely going to get you all three functions you need. You will pretty much have to give up either smart phone access (older MPEG4 based DVRs that are being liquidated), or give up the PTZ cruise recording. I don't know what you mean exactly by cruising, but most mid level DVRs offer preset, scan, pattern and tour programming and recall through the DVR - something "el cheapo" 8 channel will not be able to do. Motion recording is pretty much standard with any DVRs so you don't have to forfeit that.

If you provide more information as to what you desire, then I may be able to give you more accurate price ranges.

2. Cameras

2 indoor - you can get away with a simple fixed lens dome camera - anywhere from $60 to $100 each

2 outdoor 100' range license plate reading - here you're not going to be able to cut corners. A decent license plate reading aid camera (by all means they are not perfect) at 100' will need a 5 to 50mm varifocal lens, adaptive IR brightness, DNR and DSS to kick in but not to blur the field of view too much. These cameras run anywhere from $200 to $450 based on the number of IR LEDs, lens configuration and brand name.

1 outdoor camera 60' range - you can get away with a simple IR LED bullet style camera $70 to $120

Good luck!

Picked up a couple of the QS-408s at a CompUSA in FL. Installed one today at my work shop and was very disappointed in the fact that it does not work with IE. I chatted with their tech support and was informed that the plugin for IE crashes. I asked if there was any fix and was told "no." So the only way to view it remotely is with FireFox by installing an IE Tab plugin. Quite the PITA. Probably going to return them both and look for something else.

I have a QSee QT528 DVR. Works great with IE, FireFox, Android, etc. No issues here except that I'm quickly running out of channels. Have one left

My QS408 works with IE8. You're probably talking about problems IE9. On one pc I use chrome/IE tab and it's easy and fine. I mostly prefer chrome over IE anyway. But really what I prefer is MCS software, much more than web application for the 408. MCS should have come on the disc included with the dvr. The 408 will do all you've said you need from a dvr. Whether it's better than what you have is your call.

There is another dvr that I would mention and it's....it's....well it's....

DARN. I have to be good and follow the rules!