pal251

Dome camera mounting options

I got my Dahua 650 dome cameras on Friday. I do not currently have cameras installed at my residence and I was planning on installing them on my wooden eaves. My eaves slant downwards at a fairly extreme angle. I went to put my camera up there to test the video and I cannot view my driveway (when I put it directly in front of my driveway) unless I pull the camera about an inch from the eve and point it more downwards. I think if I put a space such as a junction box on the eve and then screw my camera to that then it will work.

What other options do you guys have?

If I move the camera down the residence a little bit towards the middle I can get a video but its to far away for my liking

How about against the wall facing out and down. Slanted eaves can be tough and by the time you rig up something to get the field of view you're looking for, you may as well just mount it to the wall. Place it in such a way that it's on the wall but almost behind the bottom of the eave, if you follow. Generally, as high on the wall as you can before the bottom of the eave cuts off the view. Good luck.

True I was thinking the junction box would allow me a place to put the balun and such though. they are ugly though.

Depends on the style of junction box... try an outdoor octagon or something:

194723_1.jpg

We just used Wiremold round boxes as mounts for Dahua 2MP domes:

194661_18.jpg

How about against the wall facing out and down. Slanted eaves can be tough and by the time you rig up something to get the field of view you're looking for, you may as well just mount it to the wall. Place it in such a way that it's on the wall but almost behind the bottom of the eave, if you follow. Generally, as high on the wall as you can before the bottom of the eave cuts off the view. Good luck.

Sorry for the late reply Shockwave. I would like to mount it on the wall but its brick and I don't want to have to start doing that. I think I am going to just put it at an angle and actually put two cameras side by side. One looking at the front door and one looking towards the driveway. My house is a one story ranch style house with a steep incline roof so its not very tall. In fact if you jumped most people could touch the camera without any tools if you put it on the eve but thats high as I can get it.

I think I'm going to try the octagon outdoor box thats either metal or plastic and put it outside. I'm going to try to spray paint it red which would match the house and hope to make it blend in. Has anyone ever painted a junction box before thats plastic or metal?

Hi Pal251. have you looked at these brackets. most domes internal or external mount to them. they give a lot more options for mounting plus has good cable management without having to also install connection box.

around $16.

195162_1.jpg