patt

Viewing my DVR from the internet which is connect to ADSL

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me how to config. my DVR for my ADSL connection so that I can view using IE explorer(DVR support) or the remote software enclosed, access from WAN PC?

Questions:

1) Is ADSL possible and what thing to look out for?

2) Do I need to add/change to a router to my current using ADSL modem ?

3) Do I need a static IP or DDNS?

4) If possible provide the concept or procedure will be best and appreciated?

Hope anyone out there can advice. Thank you.

regards

pat

What brand/model DVR are you connecting?

What brand Router, etc.?

Once we know these things, we can walk you through it fairly easily.

scottj

Thanks for replying.

It is a 4ch network DVR(non PC based).

To be connected to my home prolink hurricane 8000 ASDL modem. My internet connection need to dial up.

Can I able to view through WAN in such connection?

Things that I know of is that you need static IP or DDNS

may be router inorder to made a complete setup and link up.

Would like to know how will be the connection like in term of hardware connection and configuration/setting for the DVR.

Thank you.

Patt

Assign the DVR a local IP address (ex: 192.168.0.120, depends on your Router Gateway address).

Configure the Router to maintain and hold your ADSL connection. There is generally a section in the Router that will ask "Never Timeout" or something of this nature.

If your router supports DDNS Management, then you can choice a service for which it supports. (ex: www.dyndns.org) You will need to go and setup an account for this service which is free for Dynamic DNS service. Enter the account information into your Router under the DDNS section under Advanced Features.

Refer to your DVR manual and verify which ports are needed to be opened through the router to allow for data, video, audio, etc. for remote viewing. Now go back into the Router and either Port Forward these to the DVR address, or create a Virtual Server to the DVR address. This will open those ports to the DVR for WAN remote viewing etc.

Some ISP services have been know to block certain ports. You may run into that problem, especially over port 80 (http:). You should be able to utilize another available port redirection such as 8080, 8081, or 81 for example instead.

Give this a try and let me know ifit was helpful.

scottj

Questions:

1) Is ADSL possible and what thing to look out for?

2) Do I need to add/change to a router to my current using ADSL modem ?

3) Do I need a static IP or DDNS?

4) If possible provide the concept or procedure will be best and appreciated?

1) Yes you should be able to use DSL

2) I don't think you need a router. but I could be wrong?

3) A static IP address is always preferable over a dynamic IP address that keeps changing on you, some ISP's will charge an extra $5 for a static IP address

4) I think Scott got you covered on that end. I am not sure I fully understood what exactly you were trying to do, anyway I tried to help.

If you don't need the protection of a hardware firewall (Router) or other features such as port forwarding, etc. A router will just complicate things for you. On the other hand if you do need a router I recommend a Linksys as they are reliable and very user friendly and almost everyone has one, so you can ask questions and a lot of people will be able to assist you.

Thanks guys! for your generousity sharing of your experience and knowledge. Your advice indeed a great help to me.

Looking at my DVR, I think I will need a router and will open a free account at dyndns.com website. Remote viewing by means through DDNS. This service is free.

By the way I am using Aztech router which currently I have right now.

Any advice on how to config. my type of modem? I know 2 things which are important are setting up DDNS client and port forwarding to DVR IP address.

Firewall setting what do i need to set for my situation? And other thing more?

Thanks & Regards

patt

dial-up? if you are trying to view it while you are out you'll have a problem, maybe...........I used to do the dial-up using scheduler to connect the modem and then had the no-ip updated right after. Scheduler will allow for the starting and stopping of at specific times so you can plan to view.

just thinking outloud........

Hi VST_MAN,

I am subscribing ADSL limited usage plan. Therefore need a dial up. Regarding Scheduler?? I am not familar, I am interest to know more. Can tell me more.. Thanks

Patt

it's in win xp. you schedule a program to run, certain days &times. I used to schedule internet explorer to run every 2 hours which automatically enguaged the autodialer....therefore connecting the server for me at specific times so I could view it. no-ip was already running so it updated my IP and I then had a way into the server.

kinda "clunky" to do but when I only had dial-up and did not want to tie up the phone while I was gone it worked ok..............

Thanks VST_MAN for the info..

Hi ScottJ,

I will subscribe for unlimited plan in the future.. I am not a heavy user usually I only log on to the internet for retrieving my email. It will be 15 USD more in my country.. quite a big different..

Patt

Patt,

If your current plan is going to be charging you based on actual bandwidth usage or KB totals, I would not be surprised if you exceed the usage limit very rapidly with video. You might find yourself going far past your included plan allowance and wind up with a very expensive bill. Just use caution as video will eat up the bandwidth and KB of passed data.

scottj