Sign in to follow this  
mds1256

Multiple IP Cams with live feeds over the internet - Project

Hi

I am looking to have around 5-8 IP cameras for Pet Kennels.

We want pet owners to be able to log on to a live stream of their pet.

We need this as cheap as possible but also to give the owners of their pets just a stream and no ther controls over the camera itself.

Can any one recommend a solution for this. the cameras need not be wireless and can be wired if need be.

Cheap and easy:

Camera: TCM-4511 from ACTi - 1.3Mpixel, H.264 - cheap and rly nice

Recording: Exacq START - licence is not expensive, and you can install it on LINUX. Clients can use any system - Windows, MAC, Linux, also they can use client program, or just web browser.

We need this as cheap as possible but also to give the owners of their pets just a stream and no ther controls over the camera itself.

hi. it depends on what you call cheap. you dont need to use IP cameras if you are on a budget. for the area you are covering in each Kennel

lots of standard DVR will do what you need. you just need to setup some admin rights >>>

USER name >>>> admin

password >>>> kennel 1. ..... will only allow user access to cam 1 kennel 2 .... cam 2 and so on.

one thing to look out for is the number of logon users the DVR allows and a DVR that allows you to enter a lenth of time a customer can logon for. just so as they dont stay on 24/7 you can make them re-log back in

but yes it can be done at a good cost.

the aver nano 8 is a good start. but i would say look at the aver nano 16. if you are going to the expence have 8 other cameras protecting your business.

Panasonic makes a Pet cam exactly for this purpose. It has a built in web server that streams video or jpegs with guest access. They are about $80 on amazon.

Another thing to be concerned with is bandwidth. I don't know the amount of upload bandwidth at your business, but if you have several incoming connections at once it can possibly slow the network to a crawl.

Along with tomcctv's suggestions about limiting the camera channel(s) a user can view, the number of users that can be configured in the dvr and length of time a user can stay logged on, I would also look for a DVR where you can set the amount of bandwidth used per channel. The Aver nano mentioned can do all this. It's also a hybrid that can use both analog and IP cameras.

You don't really need a DVR for this, though it would be handy for potential liability issues. Blue Iris, at $50, is the value leader in DVR software, if you've got a decent PC or laptop to run it on - very powerful and flexible.

Any IP cam that's supported by IP Cam Viewer (and that's quite a few) can be viewed over Android and iPhone once you've forwarded the port for it. The app is $4, is quick and easy to set up, and each owner could be connected to their dog's cam.

There are other cheap and free viewer apps out there, but ICV has been very reliable and robust for me on iPhone.

Hi.

If you anticipate a lot of usage by customers you could get a separate ISP account connection (additional cable modem, fiber optic internet connection, etc) just for streaming your IP cameras. While you will have additional monthly cost involved for the additional account, your business internet connection for your work computers, office terminals, etc should be more reliable, faster, and less trouble some.

Another thing to be concerned with is bandwidth. I don't know the amount of upload bandwidth at your business, but if you have several incoming connections at once it can possibly slow the network to a crawl.

If you limit the connections to one person per camera is it very easy to do the bandwidth calculations so you can get the correct size WAN connection. I don't think HD is needed so you will not be using a lot of bandwidth so a second WAN connection will not be needed.

I have had a look at the pet web cam and looks like exactly what I need. Thank you all for your very helpful comments and recommendations, I will investigate them all to make sure I get the right solution.