Hey guys,

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. several years ago I bought a good quality cat5 crimping tool and a box of connectors

for a networking job I had. I've made up several cables with good success. Problem now is, I made up a cable about 80ft long

for one of my ip cams and I can't get it to work. I have tested continuity at the connectors with my ohm meter and its telling me

I have a good cable. It just wont work. is there a limit as to how long a cable I can use? any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

^That was my first thought too - make sure you're using proper T586-A or -B wiring (doesn't matter which, just make sure it's the same at both ends).

wiring-T568-cable-DIY.jpg

Thank you so much, guys!

Soon as I looked at the example in that link, I knew what I had done wrong.

Funny how a few years can play havoc on the ol' memory....

Well, it was about 12 years ago when I made my last patch cable.

Thanks again, the cameras working fine now!

John

PS. can anyone suggest a reasonably priced lens, say a 5-50mm that will work nicely with the IQeye 852?

Thanks again,

I try to stay away from 5-50 lenses.

I have a difficult time getting good picture quality out of them.

I either use a 3.8 to 12 or a 20-50 to cover most applications.

It's a long-standing rule of thumb in the photography world, that the larger a zoom range a lens has, the greater the sacrifice in quality. The more complexity you have, there more room there is for something to go wrong. On the whole, a "prime" (fixed-focal) lens has the fewest elements, the least glass, and thus will TEND to give the best results.

I've been trying a variety of lenses on my IQ832N, and the one I've left on for testing is the Arecont MPL4-10 (F1.6, 4.5-10mm, 1/2") that came with one of my Arecont cams. It's not super fast or super sharp, but it's compact, the quality is decent, and they're not expensive ($100-ish).

I have a couple of long 1/2" and 2/3" zooms, including a big, heavy Rainbow H6X8-II 8-48mm F1.0, but quality's not the greatest, the depth of field is very finicky, and focus is tricky.

Getting an MP rated lens in a long zoom with decent speed will be costly and bulky.

I've been trying a variety of lenses on my IQ832N, and the one I've left on for testing is the Arecont MPL4-10 (F1.6, 4.5-10mm, 1/2") that came with one of my Arecont cams. It's not super fast or super sharp, but it's compact, the quality is decent, and they're not expensive ($100-ish).

I have a couple of long 1/2" and 2/3" zooms, including a big, heavy Rainbow H6X8-II 8-48mm F1.0, but quality's not the greatest, the depth of field is very finicky, and focus is tricky.

Getting an MP rated lens in a long zoom with decent speed will be costly and bulky.

hey Max,

I know just what you mean, I'm using one of my Rainbow 8x48 on my Arcont 5mp and it works great at the long end but, the wider

I go with it the harder it is to get to focus!

Thanks for all the tips, guys, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

John