andyh747

CCTV Distribution in House

I currently have a satellite multiswitch (Triax TMP 5x16) which distributes the satellite signal to all TVs in the house. I'm currently not using the 5th input on the switch which is usually used for Freeview or/and DAB via a modulator. All the TVs I have are new TVs without an analogue tuner. I had envisaged being able to connect the TV Out from the DVR to the switch and feed this to all TVs in the house but apparently this won't work as none of them have an analogue tuner to be able to tune the correct UHF channel in.

Currently I have two coax, two CAT6 and one CAT5 to each TV point. I want to be able to display the CCTV on any TV. I understand there are digital modulators now which will allow you to tune in the Freeview tuner within the TV but this is expensive and not ideal as switching from Freesat to Freeview on the TVs isn't a simple process.

Can anyone suggest the easiest way to achieve what I'm after given the above information? Ideally I'd like to feed the DVR output into a spare HDMI input on the TV or use the composite connections.

Any help appreciated.

Others may have a better idea, but I would use the two cat6 cables you have and connect an HDMI over Ethernet kit. Search amazon or I have had good experience with Monoprice for this part. Let's you use two cat5 or 6 cables to pass full 1080p video over cat cable.

The kit features two wall plates with an HDMI port on front and two Ethernet ports on back. Then, as you mentioned, you can connect DVR to an open HDMI input on tv. There may be other options available, but this will, certainly get you the highest resolution possible out of your DVR. Coax isn't going to get you HD output from any DVR I am aware of!

If you're wanting to connect to multiple TVs, you'll also need an HDMI splitter for as many TVs as you will be connecting to.

Be glad you already have so much extra cable running to each tv. My customers always want DVR connected to all their TVs, but they have a single coax that is already connected to their digital TV source. Nothing you can do there besides pull new cable!

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion would certainly work but I'm not sure if it's overkill for CCTV. Certainly for one TV it would be fine but for multiple distribution it may be going a bit far.

I'm trying to think of all options. Someone else has suggested using an analogue distribution amp with baluns at the TVs to convert to composite for connection to the TVs. This would still utilise the CAT6 cables I believe.

Is there any way to utilise the satellite switch 5th input though? This is usually fed with a UHF signal which is then tuned into a suitable channel at the TV. However as the TV doesn't have an analogue tuner this won't work. However is it not possible to have a box to convert the RF to composite before connection at the TV? I suspect though this may be a messy solution. What is technically stopping you sending another signal through the satellite switch. Will it only distribute UHF?

DVR is analogue or is it NVR? Well, it should have VGA (D-Sub video out). You can use it to divide the signal by a device simmilar to this:

http://www.wholesaleelectronicscheap.com/img/p/m/vga-splitter-1-input-2-output-2828-1.jpg - VGA multiplexer

and then You can convert the video to UTP by device like this - VGA to UTP converter.

This solution has a minus: anyone will see the same picture. And they will have to change video source on TV to PCin every time they want to access preview.

Hi. if you have coax or cat5 to every tv then £46 will buy you a 1 in 8 out dis amp. tv out from dvr to box gives you upto 8 outputs and boosted.

196456_1.gif

Hi. if you have coax or cat5 to every tv then £46 will buy you a 1 in 8 out dis amp. tv out from dvr to box gives you upto 8 outputs and boosted.

196456_1.gif

Except you already are using the coax for your satellite/cable, aren't you?

Except you already are using the coax for your satellite/cable, aren't you?

Currently I have two coax, two CAT6 and one CAT5 to each TV point.

Thanks for the replies.

So to use the distribution amp, I'd utilise one of the coax runs to each TV and bypass the multiswitch. That would work but would then not allow me to have two sat feeds to each TV allowing PVR recording. Not a great loss as I was hoping to centralise the Fresat PVR anyway and access it from each room as needed.

However after some investigation, I discovered that the TVs I have actually have three internal tuners. One Freesat, one Freeview and the other analogue. That means I can utilise the multiswitch with a standard modulator on the TV Out from the DVR. However I assume in future manufacturers will gradually remove these analogue tuners as the full digital switch over completes. It would then mean utilising the CAT6 cables or one of the coax for CCTV distribution.

If the TVs are network-able (ie. "Smart TVs"), you may have other options... if you have a DVR that supports browsers other than IE, you could probably access the DVR through the TV's own web browser. Or if your TV is Android-based, you could use the appropriate Android apps to access the DVR. Not quite as convenient as just switching channels, but...

The other option is along the line of the HDMI extenders, but if you used VGA baluns, you'd need to use only one UTP line per feed.

TVs are Internet connected but the quality of the CCTV on a large screen would be noticeably poorer than using any of the other methods. The DVR I have also only supports IE I believe and requires a plugin to be installed which is normally not possible on the browsers on TVs.

Using a VGA balun is another possibility but looking at the pricing this would be expensive and has other disadvantages. You'd need a separate balun pair for each TV which raises the cost.

Having now discovered the TVs have analogue tuners, the easiest and best option is to utilise the multiswitch to send the CCTV signal throughout the house. The only extra I need is a modulator before the multiswitch as all TV points are already fitted with Triplexer plates.

Actually... you could also use Tom's BNC distribution box above, and send the signal over one of the UTP to each TV using a standard composite-video balun - cost, about $5-10/pair. Resolution would be the same as you'd get through the modulator, and probably a little clearer because you're eliminating the RF stage.

Basically the same idea Tom gave, except you're using a UTP instead of the second coax.

Another good suggestion and one I've considered. In the meantime I think I'll stick with the RF route through the multiswitch simply because I have all the equipment needed and it's a zero cost option for now. I realise the quality will be reduced but I can live with that for now. However I'm upgrading my DVR shortly to a 16 channel unit which has an HDMI output as well as standard TV Out. When I install this I may look to use the HDMI output over CAT6 using a splitter and HDMI baluns. This should in theory provide excellent quality at each TV.

Another good suggestion and one I've considered. In the meantime I think I'll stick with the RF route through the multiswitch simply because I have all the equipment needed and it's a zero cost option for now. I realise the quality will be reduced but I can live with that for now. However I'm upgrading my DVR shortly to a 16 channel unit which has an HDMI output as well as standard TV Out. When I install this I may look to use the HDMI output over CAT6 using a splitter and HDMI baluns. This should in theory provide excellent quality at each TV.

The catch with HDMI extenders is that the single-cable ones are REALLY spendy... on the order of $300+ per set. However, most of those also support return IR, so you could have a remote for the DVR with each TV (or use something like a Logitech Harmony) and send IR codes back to control the DVR.

Alternatively, there are HDMI extenders that use two UTP cables that can be had for $30-$40/set, but I haven't seen any that support return signals... and of course, they use up two cables.

If you're spending the money for the good stuff, you might look at something like this, which combines 2-in switcher, 8-out distribution over UTP: http://www.dintek.com.tw/lan/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=668&category_id=174&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=93

That's why I ran two CAT6 cables as I knew the single run Baluns were very expensive. I like the unit you linked to and it's certainly worth thinking about. Controlling via IR isn't really a big problem as I was intending to install a full IR distribution system for controlling other devices in the central node. I'd just add another IR channel for the DVR control. That would mean not needing IR pass through on the baluns. However controlling the DVR isn't a must from each room. It would be a nice to have but not essential. I currently use a Smarte unit for transmitting the VGA signal over a single CAT5 to a summerhouse. This has IR control which has come in handy for controlling the DVR.