SpyGuy10

Recommendations for a megapixel IP box cam ~$500

I'm seeking a megapixel IP box cam with lens to go into an outdoor housing; budget for the camera body and lens is about $500. (May be able to go a small amount over that if it will get us a significantly better camera.)

This is for use at a small private airport. Initially, the cam will be used to monitor a construction site to prevent loss of materials. After that project is complete, the cam will be relocated to the runway area to provide pilots a view of weather and runway conditions (via web site feed), with the additional benefit of capturing any mishaps or other unusual circumstances. When in service at the runway, there will be no auxiliary illumination for the cam: the only light will be natural light and the runway lighting. Therefore, good low-level light capability is preferred.

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

It will be difficult to find something that does REALLY WELL with low light, for that price range. One of the best I've seen so far is the Axis Q1604, but its street price is about three times that budget. IQEye's 7xx series are pretty good TDN cameras for low light, but those too will run into the four-digit range.

There is a Dahua 3MP cam I've used that's "pretty good" with low light, that can be had for $500 with lens... don't know the Dahua part number offhand, I only know it under another unmentionable brand name...

One of the best I've seen so far is the Axis Q1604, but its street price is about three times that budget.

That Q1604 does look impressive, based on the photos you posted in the "images" thread, as well as the Axis datasheet for the camera. A search turned up the Q1604-E at Beach Audio for $1,285. That is quite a bit more than what we were planning for, but maybe I can make a convincing argument. One of the other features I like about this cam is its WDR capability. Our runway has a heading of 40/22, and the cam will be pointed ~045 deg., so the camera will be looking into the sunrise every morning.

There is a Dahua 3MP cam I've used that's "pretty good" with low light, that can be had for $500 with lens... don't know the Dahua part number offhand, I only know it under another unmentionable brand name...

Unmentionable? Why? I'm not familiar with the "politics" of this industry.

Not the industry, just this forum. See your PMs.

It will be difficult to find something that does REALLY WELL with low light, for that price range. One of the best I've seen so far is the Axis Q1604, but its street price is about three times that budget. IQEye's 7xx series are pretty good TDN cameras for low light, but those too will run into the four-digit range.

Soundy,

Would sure like to see some DAY/NIGHT stills using that 3MP Dahua (Dahua) camera. Do you have any stills available there that you could post?

If you do, please tell us the Mfg/type of lens that you put on it, ok.

Thanks Matt,

Den

So doing some comparisons, it appears the Dahua model number for the 3MP cam you mentioned is the IPC-HF3300. However Dahua has a new 2MP box cam listed on their web site with better specs: the IPC-HF3200. This new model has a larger imaging sensor (1/3" vs. 1/2.8") and better color low-light capability (0.1 lux vs. 0.2 lux). However, a quick search of the Internet failed to turn up anyone selling this cam. Do you know of Dahua distributors in the US?

Not the industry, just this forum. See your PMs.

What Soundy failed to mention is that he gets "compensated" by the site he referred you to. And, as a result of his dedication to his job(s), one of his employers is slowly being removed from this forum.

I am more than willing to let this rest but apparently he wants to be all passive aggressive about it.

What Soundy failed to mention is that he gets "compensated" by the site he referred you to. And, as a result of his dedication to his job(s), one of his employers is slowly being removed from this forum.

Thank you for the clarification. I have no objection to a person being compensated for his advice or recommendations, provided that the recommendations are sound. Nevertheless, in fairness to the recipient of the recommendation, such compensation should be openly disclosed.

That being said, I have always found Soundy's posts to be quite helpful and very informative. So I hope this situation gets resolved amicably, because I think we will all lose if Soundy stops being an active member of this forum.

If by "compensated" you mean they've sent me equipment for review, then yes... but if I recommend something, it's because I think it's a good product, not because I didn't pay for a sample.

Case in point: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31392&p=196290&hilit=tenvis#p196290 - they also sent me a free camera for review, and would love nothing more than a glowing recommendation... but I can't give one, because the product falls short.

You want me to recommend another supplier... I can't, because I don't know who else sells the same unit. I couldn't even tell you the original Dahua model numbers. Like MANY OTHER users here, though, I can recommend this particular supplier because of outstanding service and support. Whether or not I see "compensation" is irrelevant though; numerous other users have tried to praise this supplier's service, and had those posts edited or removed as well. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

Hi. for a airport application i dont think a fixed MP camera is the way to go. its a lot of money just to have 1 field of view. in your case the runway, which might be all you need. but to have an option to move the camera gives you greater options on money you will be spanding.

just watching a runway 24/7 its doing its job if you have lots of flight in and out in a day. but if you are only looking at say private flights only a few a day then your camera is not working for you.

use a PTZ and not only will it watch your runway but you can also have it do security work.

most airfields have display or open days again your investment will work for you there.

Sony have a very good PTZ for not much more than your budget if you want to have a play with a live camera PM me and i will send you the link

Thank you for the clarification. I have no objection to a person being compensated for his advice or recommendations, provided that the recommendations are sound. Nevertheless, in fairness to the recipient of the recommendation, such compensation should be openly disclosed.

Unfortunately, that would be an all out free-for-all of worthless responses because who would determine what is "sound".

You want me to recommend another supplier... I can't, because I don't know who else sells the same unit. I couldn't even tell you the original Dahua model numbers. Like MANY OTHER users here, though, I can recommend this particular supplier because of outstanding service and support. Whether or not I see "compensation" is irrelevant though; numerous other users have tried to praise this supplier's service, and had those posts edited or removed as well. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

Other posts were edited in direct response to your actions and it sounds like you are still on the payroll. Your being compensated for recommending a specific brand and referring members to a specific retailer IS very relevant and I can't believe you don't realize that.

Case in point: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31392&p=196290&hilit=tenvis#p196290 - they also sent me a free camera for review, and would love nothing more than a glowing recommendation... but I can't give one, because the product falls short.

They sent me a request too and I politely declined for obvious "integrity" reasons.

That being said, I have always found Soundy's posts to be quite helpful and very informative. So I hope this situation gets resolved amicably, because I think we will all lose if Soundy stops being an active member of this forum.

I agree, Soundy is very knowledgeable about this industry and as far as I am concerned this matter is over.

I'm currently reviewing the ACTi KCM-5611 which may do what you want, not as cheap as $500 but a lot less than the Axis q1604. It has WDR, it has really good autofocus, it has 18x zoom, it did well, better than comperable cameras from Brickcom and IQEye in day color mode 24/7 but has a night mode with IR illuminators and it's 1080P. It's a box camera that is sealed for outdoor use like a bullet, so no additional enclosure needed. The 18X zoom may be good in your situation to get close in on aircraft on the runway landing/taking off since it's linear and pan/tilt may not be needed. This just came out, got one out of their early shipments. You can also add pan/tilt capability with a 3rd party gizmo should you want to in the future. ACTi provides NVR software for free that is quite good.

Another box camera that does well is the Axis M1114, 720P, about your price range, can be ordered as the M1114-E for outdoor use. Is a day only camera, but does well in low light because if it's large varifocal lens. Review is on my blog. Some Axis cameras can use their free Camera Companion software, but not this model so you may need buy NVR software for recording.

Both Axis and ACTi provide very good support and service, something that may not be there if you buy something just because it's cheap from China.

It does not have support in the firmware for the SD card slot yet.

Thanks. I hope AcTi gets this feature enabled in the KCM line soon. Their cameras seem like a good value and I'm very interested in trying one out. Maybe I'll splurge for a TCM.

It does not have support in the firmware for the SD card slot yet.

Thanks. I hope AcTi gets this feature enabled in the KCM line soon. Their cameras seem like a good value and I'm very interested in trying one out. Maybe I'll splurge for a TCM.

Their knowledge base says - TCM-series: version 4.12 or newer (from June 2012); KCM-series: version 5.08 or newer (from July 2012). They were on track for the TCM-7811 but towards the end of the month, could be they will be on track for the KCM series at the end of July. I'll ask them next time I talk to them.