mistabob22

What kind of system should I get?

I need some guidance on what kind of system I should get for my home. I planned on doing it myself to save $.

1. Should I get a regular DVR system w/ full D1 recording or an IP system? Not too familiar w/ the IP systems but from what I gather they are better quality?

2. What about outdoor cameras at night? Does the IP system offer good nighttime recording?

3. What about price? I gather that the IP is much more expensive? I don't want to break the bank but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm likely to be unsatisfied if the recording isn't good quality.

4. The whole point of a surveillance system is to ID suspects for the police so facial recognition is important.

5. Finally, ease of use. Is the IP system overly difficult to figure out? I would also like remote viewing on Iphone.

Thanks for any help.

1. Should I get a regular DVR system w/ full D1 recording or an IP system? Not too familiar w/ the IP systems but from what I gather they are better quality?

Go IP. I would highly recommend Avigilon. It ticks all boxes. And can do both IP and Analogue D1.

2. What about outdoor cameras at night? Does the IP system offer good nighttime recording?

It all depends on lighting, use motion lights or IR to better the image if its not good enough.

3. What about price? I gather that the IP is much more expensive? I don't want to break the bank but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm likely to be unsatisfied if the recording isn't good quality.

With Avigilon you can start with just analogue with their encoders and add IP later. If you go cheap and dont get the image you want, then why install cheap in the 1st place? Start with a budget and get a quote to that budget and see what you can get for it...

4. The whole point of a surveillance system is to ID suspects for the police so facial recognition is important.

correct. Dont go cheap and expect everything from each camera. Each camera should have at most 2 tasks to achieve. Dont expect 1 camera to do everything...

5. Finally, ease of use. Is the IP system overly difficult to figure out? I would also like remote viewing on Iphone.

Avigilon is the easiest VMS I've ever used. Their search features are amazing. I wouldnt recommend anything else. Also with the gateway you can view and playback on your phone.

Hope that helps

Thanks guys. From what I have seen that Avigilon system is very expensive. I just did a basic google search though. I'll have to see what I can do. Thanks again

Thanks guys. From what I have seen that Avigilon system is very expensive. I just did a basic google search though. I'll have to see what I can do. Thanks again

One of our honorable members shockwave199

sad following

Cheap is cheap, cheap is expensive.

I agree with him 100%

+1 for Avigilon

What you're better off doing is an in depth search here. Take a few days and read. TONS of info and threads asking your questions here. It's remarkable the wealth of info here. Take some time and sift through it. You'll fine tune what you really need and what will work best for you. Just by searching here, if you don't come out the other end 100% more knowledgeable about what you need and want, I'll eat all my cheap coax- with some sauce, cheese, bread, and wine of course.

Good luck. Now get reading.