Melissa2012B

UL listing of cameras

My sister lives in Florida and has had a flower shop for 34 years. Because the economy was so bad, they were forced to drop the insurance on it, late last year.

Then the day after Valentine's Day, an electrical fire started in a breaker panel and burned the place. They've been rebuilding since.

During this process, there has been an outpouring from the community, from all the friends and customers they've known all those years. Lots of people donated all kinds of things, and even money, to help with the rebuilding, even labor time.

Among those, one guy gave them a complete set of security cameras. I assume these are the kind like are sold it sets at Costco. The idea was that they could always keep an eye on the shop, from home, after it's rebuilt.

But now the county is apparently telling them that they cant use these cameras because they arent UL Listed. I found an old thread on this forum, at http://www.cctvforum.com/about19456.html but it seems unresolved.

Why the heck would they have to be UL listed, when all of them appear to run off of DC from AC adapter packs?

Is that something they should be fighting and challenging the County dictatorship with?

People might not like this, but here goes......

Don't listen to anyone here. Lawyers are all to happy to sit down with you. If you open your phone book and find all the lawyers in your town, at least half of them will sit down for half an hour with you and do a free consultation. Those guys will know all the laws and the cases involving such matters, how they went down and how to win. Good place for free tips. You might have to pretend that you might use them at a later date, but it's not that bad of a fib as far as fibs go. Just don't fork any money over. Some of the lawyers in my town charge $150 for a consultation, but I just kept calling and found out that over half will sit down with you for free to see if they can even do something. If they say they charge for a small 30 min conversation, just hang up and call the next person on the list.

Wish you luck.

Don't listen to anyone here.

WOW. such an easy thing to sort out without spending money on lawyers.

its not just the CCTV industry but over two years it has been on the top of the list.

UL and the likes of CE certification have been around for a long time and also ignored by most. one easy way around it is to use a ISO company.

as well as cctv or coffee makers / PC / mobile phones. all need to be tested and certified for the country they are going to be used in.

UL and CE certification have become a big problem with being counterfit. non traceable. its not a big issue but the likes of insurance companies they always look for a blame.

like i said its not just CCTV products.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/22/one-million-counterfeit-chinese-electronic-parts-used-in-us-military-report/

CE or ANSI is a place were you can check product listings if you buy from a ISO company then this will have already been done.

the amount of people who ignor certification i.e ebay sellers who import are at the moment are a insurance company nightmare

Phone chargers / imported game stations are also problems when they have by-passed UL or CE.

is that a must for adapter in US?

Don't listen to anyone here.

WOW. such an easy thing to sort out without spending money on lawyers.

its not just the CCTV industry but over two years it has been on the top of the list.

UL and the likes of CE certification have been around for a long time and also ignored by most. one easy way around it is to use a ISO company.

as well as cctv or coffee makers / PC / mobile phones. all need to be tested and certified for the country they are going to be used in.

UL and CE certification have become a big problem with being counterfit. non traceable. its not a big issue but the likes of insurance companies they always look for a blame.

like i said its not just CCTV products.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/22/one-million-counterfeit-chinese-electronic-parts-used-in-us-military-report/

CE or ANSI is a place were you can check product listings if you buy from a ISO company then this will have already been done.

the amount of people who ignor certification i.e ebay sellers who import are at the moment are a insurance company nightmare

Phone chargers / imported game stations are also problems when they have by-passed UL or CE.

is that a must for adapter in US?

hi. like every country its not a must with the power of the internet you can buy from anywhere in the world.

but are they fit to use in your country

Let it go. The cameras are not worth the fight. OTOH, if you wire for cameras during construction, you would be ready to install cameras at some time in the future.

Let it go. The cameras are not worth the fight. OTOH, if you wire for cameras during construction, you would be ready to install cameras at some time in the future.

Well they have these cameras that were donate. Not sure if they were the wired type or wireless. But now they have to hassle with more government regulations, instead of just getting their store back up.

I don't know what to make of all the above, but they have these cameras and I was looking for something they could use to get Big Brother off their backs.

Well they have these cameras that were donate. Not sure if they were the wired type or wireless. But now they have to hassle with more government regulations, instead of just getting their store back up.

I don't know what to make of all the above, but they have these cameras and I was looking for something they could use to get Big Brother off their backs.

If the Inspector wants UL listed devices you have exactly zero chance of talking them out of it. If the cameras you have are not UL listed and you want cameras, buy new ones. It would be cheaper than the legal costs of fighting with the Inspector. Besides, if that really is an all in one set, those cameras are not good.

"Good" can mean VERY expensive. I'd personally love to have 8 cameras around here, that would have PTZ and 1080p full-hd with optical zoom, but no one seems to make them in the $100 range, they're all between $3000 and $8,000 each. Who can afford that, except big corporations?

And there's no reason that cameras like that cant be made for $100 each, the technology isn't that expensive. It's just that no one does it!

This is correct miami dade county is enforcing not only the cameras have to be ul but also the dvr the poer supply and the cables

When did Miami-Dade start doing this? While they were always difficult when it came to fire alarm, I never remember having to get CCTV inspected (this was a couple years ago).

UL at electric power device, wire and relatives is strickly required for USA regulation. If you can gain official foresinc evidence which is uncerticated UL or fake label, it means you could claim compensation to any where you bought in USA even ebay.