JacFlasche

Can I turn Sony EVI-D70 into a netcam?

Greetings all,

I recently purchased a Sony EVI-D70 on ebay. It just seemed like a lot more camera than most of the ip cams that were for sale for less than $200.

I was wondering if there is a reliable and inexpensive way to turn this into a wireless cam that can be controlled remotely from my computer over the internet?

Here is a link to the specs if interested: http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/mkt/indauto/Brochures/is-1174-a.pdf

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Greetings all,

I recently purchased a Sony EVI-D70 on ebay. It just seemed like a lot more camera than most of the ip cams that were for sale for less than $200.

I was wondering if there is a reliable and inexpensive way to turn this into a wireless cam that can be controlled remotely from my computer over the internet?

Here is a link to the specs if interested: http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/mkt/indauto/Brochures/is-1174-a.pdf

TIA

Have you checked with Sony to see if they offer a wireless Ethernet adapter for your camera? If not, I'd get a Wi-Fi bridge (and range extender) from any electronics store. Plug in the IP camera to the bridge and have the bridge connect wirelessly to your router.

Greetings all,

TIA

Have you checked with Sony to see if they offer a wireless Ethernet adapter for your camera? If not, I'd get a Wi-Fi bridge (and range extender) from any electronics store. Plug in the IP camera to the bridge and have the bridge connect wirelessly to your router.

I just realized that this is a normal camera with remote control. You can always add a video server to turn this camera into an IP camera.

Thanks for the response.

A video server sounds expensive I will look into them on the web.

Sorry for the ambiguous wording, I can see why you thought my camera was an ip cam.

The camera has RS-232C or RS-422 Serial Control

(VISCATM Command)

I was hoping that I could just buy a wifi adapter and cast it to my wireless router.

But that won't work huh?

I think if I can connect it to my router with a wifi device it can be used as an ip cam with the right software, or am I dreaming?

I am now wondering about the PTZ functionality, do I need a specific type of video server to allow that or will any one do?

I am now wondering about the PTZ functionality, do I need a specific type of video server to allow that or will any one do?

If all you need to see is video and be able to control the PTZ, I'd use a wireless video and serial command transmitter, which can also be quite expensive.

How far is the camera from your viewing location? Depending on the distance, you would be able to get away with just running the video cable to your monitor and utilizing wireless IR signal repeater to control your PTZ - something I believe will be the cheapest solution.

If not, there are laser video signal transmitters (requires line of sight) that you can use to transmit video up to 1000 feet or so. But this device does not transmit serial commands.

As far as video servers, you should be able to find a decent video server (Full D1, H.264/MJPEG dual stream, de-interlaced) and so forth for around $200 or so. Before you buy any video servers, verify if your camera supports Pelco D or P protocol. Then you'd either add a wireless option to the server, or use the wireless bridge...

Good luck.

Thanks,

I am not anticipating any problem viewing or controlling this camera when I am home.

That is basically what it is made for, plus I don't have a lot of distance between my router and computer and were the camera will be positioned. I haven't found the detailed manual yet, but I know it is online somewhere, I did come across it once but hadn't yet purchased the camera so I didn't book-mark it.

I do believe it has several dual twisted pair options, and I think one of them is a generic name for firewire, I think it can also use straight up CAT5, and the usual computer video input, no HDMI though I am sure. So that part is covered.

I will probably run some wires from the camera to the video server that you suggested, that seems to be the most straight forward way to be able to control it remotely over the web. I think it is set up for pelco commands, pretty sure anyhow.

I do believe that with some patients and creative web-shopping I will be able to get a video server that can handle three cameras (only need one now) and give me all the functionality I would like. It doesn't have to be new, but it does need to be inexpensive.

I should have joined this forum before I took a flyer and bought the camera. I saw a video on YouTube that was a test of it(

) and the picture was so clear and the PTZ was so smooth that it far exceeds what I need, then I got one that literally looks brand new and has a two year warranty, and it was $170, you will probably think this is funny, but that is twice what I originally budgeted for my Patio cam. If I had it to do over again I would just spend the three hundred to get a camera that can already do all this stuff over the web. Of course this Sony may have a better picture than a comparably priced IP cam -- I really don't know.

I usually ask a lot of stupid questions when I start one of my projects, but I usually get the technical stuff right the first time, if not the shopping part.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hi. it might be worth you just buying a DVR with remote viewer and that has good Iphone and android apps.

then you have full control of your camera from anywere and be able to record also.

Hi. it might be worth you just buying a DVR with remote viewer and that has good Iphone and android apps.

then you have full control of your camera from anywere and be able to record also.

yes, the DVR maybe help.

You are so right. I am looking into the DVR option and like what I am seeing. It seems to cover all the bases.

Yep,

look at any Analog DVR as IP server on steroids

Hey, thanks for the suggestions,

I looked at that Axis video server; I thought I needed a way to connect with RS422 nine pin?

There is a little detachable plug on the back of the Sony that has nine holes that you can clip wires into. From reading the product page I had the impression that you had to use this RS422 connection to control the PTZ functions.

Is that wrong?

I have been looking for a DVR with the same RS422 connection.

So far I have only come across models that have an RS488 connection, but have read that they are interchangeable to a certain extend -- so I am not sure that RS488 is entirely compatible with The Sony (VISCA)/RS-422 (9-pin) control.

If I don't need this it would be great, but from what I read it seems like that is the only way to control the PTZ.