vector18

Wifi IP megapixel cameras

Does anyone have any experience here with Wifi Megapixel IP cameras? I'm looking to upgrade a system and

cannot run wires to some areas. We plan on going with IP cameras and an NVR. My questions are will the wifi camera

just join in on the network wirelessly with an IP and work just the same as a hard wired IP camera? What sort of

distance are we talking with these cameras? Is the image just as good as a hard wired megapixel camera? Will

the data from the camera bog down the bandwidth of the house?

I have two Zavio 1MP wireless cameras. The manufacturer states 10 fps, but really it's 3-8 fps which seems to be dependant of wifi signal strength, (not sure of this). A firmware update made the streams more fluent, used to be 1-3 fps. But still one has better fps than the other, same make, model and firmware version. I might try to avoid using these in strategic points, though. An Acti wired camera with 1.3MP works better (but it is a way more expensive camera than these Zavios). But yes, they work just like wired cameras once they are set up to use wifi. One VGA (Foscam) wifi camera i've had in use for a couple of months works fine for a distance of ~30 meters, a wall and a window in between.

Yes, i suppose better makes like Axis offer the frame rate they promise, but they do cost money. With cheap ones, the reliability and frame rate can be an issue.

I agree, i've heard good things with the ubiquiti wireless product.

What i would suggest is don't focus on a wireless IP Camera -- get a WIRED IP camera that meets your

specifications and use an actual wireless access point to send your video. Access points have the option

for stronger antennas to boost your signal where as a wireless camera usually has like a little 2dbi rubber duck

antenna.. not very good for going 200-300' or so.