mateck8888

RTSP with Dahua on AVerMedia

Hello:

Does anyone have any RTSP experience with the Dahua 2mp minidomes Ip cameras? I have set up the RTSP string, but the video pulsates back and forth from good, to pixelized. It will start out with fine, but then within a second, it has lots of nose in it. Then, it will get better over the next apx. one second. And if I wave my hand in front of the camera, it has a lot of ghosting as my hand goes across the frame.

I have tried on a system in the field, and one here at my office. The field one was a i3/16gb with Windows7, and the one here is an Core2Duo with XP. Both have NV6480 cards in them.

I'm hoping someone might have successfully done this, and can share the settings they used in the Dahua video settings section.

Thanks

Matt

Sounds like you're getting dropped B-frames and things clear up once there's another I-frame. I had the same problem when I tried it on a Vigil V6 system (the first version that included generic support for custom RTSP streams), and it got a lot better with V7's implementation. See if Aver has an update for their RTSP support.

Try playing with the framerate, bitrate, and CBR vs VBR, to see if it's a bandwidth problem, and try reducing the I-frame interval.

If the software has a pre-buffer setting (I'm not familiar with the Aver software), try matching the pre-buffer time to the I-frame interval; note that the camera specs it in number of frames, so for example, at 10fps, a 10-frame interval would equal one I-frame per second... so you'd want a 1s pre-buffer.

Thanks Soundy for the instructions. I will try that tomorrow. I did play with VBR/CBR, fps, compression rate, and I was able to get it a little better, but it is still kind of rough. It is no longer going from good to bad, but it is still rather grainy. Aver didn't return my call today, so I'll have to work on them more.

BUT...I happened to remember that I had a NV5000 system in stock, which is their small 4-channel card. This system has an i3 chip in it, and it ran RTSP just fine. Not perfect, but certainly acceptable. So my voice mail to AverMedia tech support was asking why it runs nicely in the cheap 5000 board, but rather grainy in the NV6480?

I'll report back any progress, and I'll check the buffering settings.

Keep in mind that a capture card has NO (direct) effect on the IP video. A software compression card may put excessive load on the CPU, but IP video does not use the card at all. I'd tend to suspect the difference in in the software itself, and its handling of the H.264 video.

Yes, I've often wondered why AVerMedia doesn't just sell a dongle. Most my systems today are all IP, so the card is just a big licensing key.

That would make more sense.

Vigil uses MAC-based software keys - when you install it, you're prompted for the card type, or you can select "NVR", which simply installs it without card drivers.

I tried RTSP on two software packages, works fine. I have a 1080P bullet from Dahua for testing. I used BlueIris, configured it as a generic RTSP camera and also with IPCam Viewer on my Android phone and it works fine.

I'll try and get a review done in the next week on the camera on my blog.

I would be interested in seeing that review. Dahua now has a new firmware update for me, but I won't be able to install it till later in the week... I'm on another job site for the next copule of days, but I will report back and hopefully get a photo snapped of my scene. The new firmware is supposed to improve the camera in low light.

Dauha sells under different brands in the USA. I'm not sure where you are from, but you should probably check with the dealer/distributor you purchased your cameras from. I purchased online, and so far the service and tech response has been speedy.

Matt

Dauha sells under different brands in the USA. I'm not sure where you are from, but you should probably check with the dealer/distributor you purchased your cameras from. I purchased . and so far the service and tech response has been speedy.

Matt

Yeah, too bad you can't tell anyone about it... no good deed goes unpunished, after all.