40th Floor

Dahua, Dohua overly-shilled,PLUS my free opinion

This brand is overly shilled here

It's a dead-end camera brand (wait)

Just my opinion, of course

And these are not good shills - way too obvious - no spidey senses needed

What are your specific problems with Dahua? I don't care about overly shilled if the price is right and the performance is good for the price.

What do you prefer for the same price range?

The post right before mine

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32021

and in general here.

And for Carl, who never can quuuuite get these things

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8369/dahuaipchdb3200c704x480.png

but that's not the point (dawho has no docs on how to make its cameras work -- even the guy who gave me this stream URL didn't know how to get it to 2 MP mode, from his browser, ... well, here, read yourself

http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/forums/about6729.html

As for CK2, it is where it has been for the last few years. Runs 24/7/365/3 years now. Same version. If it weren't for SPs and long power outs, it would be over 1000 days of 100% uptime. But, that really is OLD news. Anyway, soon to replaced. What? You didn't know.

but that's not the point (dawho has no docs on how to make its cameras work -- even the guy who gave me this stream URL didn't know how to get it to 2 MP mode, from his browser, ... well, here, read yourself

The 2MP stream is here: rtsp://guest:guest@71.198.38.41:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0

subtype=0. You're going to kill my bandwidth though...

Goldserve, from my understanding you installed newer firmware and that fixed your problem, no?

As for RTSP, I've used the camera with BlueIris via RTSP, the url is common knowledge. 40th, do you need help getting it working with Castlekeeper? I can give you remote access to the camera so you can test it. You have to learn to snuggle not struggle.

it working with Castlekeeper? I can give you remote access to the camera so you can test it. You have to learn to snuggle not struggle.

Nope, don't need it. I've already shown the stream in the last post I did. He has that running 15 FPS. Not interesting. Anyway, CK2 works with any standard camera, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. But you have to know what you are doing. Remember when you asked me why (anyone) would use MPEG4/H264 when it only saved JPEG? You thought that was the way everything worked because all you know was Blue Iris. And that was recently!

Hey, what's with this? To focus a dawho? How hard can that be?

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:09 am

I would contact the people that sold it to you for instructions on focusing the camera.

For network camera articles and reviews, visit my blog at http://www.Network CameraCritic.com

On a side track now, thanks to you. Here we go.

I've given you ideas on how to do a critique before. I don't call what you do shilling since people reading your stuff know you get the stuff for free. The post here saying "there's a shortage", by two guys using the same sort of name, here for a few days, linking to a particular store. Yeah, that's overly-shilling. But you took that personally. I wonder why? (And what are you doing in that very same thread? Isn't that ironic.)

Since you are into this sort of thing, how about starting all 'reviews' with this, in plain sight, like the first sentence:

"This is a review I did on ________, which was sent to me by __________ for the purpose of writing this review."

Hey! Try it. And how about using it for a few weeks or more, before blogging. You can't find problems, like the guy here whose recordings self-erase, after a day or two.

The end

P.S. Nice that you keep the nwcamreview site from turning into a dustbowl. True, they are posts about your new blog reviews, but that can get a few things going. I don't follow here much so I can't say how dry things are, but when I see nearly the whole of the index showing dawho, it's probably a shill job. And I am right.

You know, you could easily make your point by showing a few youtubes of the same shot with a similar priced Dahua camera and YOUR favorite brand. Day shots, tricky lighting, and then some night shots.

That might make a strong argument. Claiming that people are shilling... not so much.

Because I help someone with a camera problem or can't find where to buy doesn't mean I profit from them buying it. I have no financial relationship with any camera manufacturer. Just about all camera companies lend me cameras to do reviews. I paid for every single camera that I use at my house.

Don't know your software, but I tested Dahua with NVR+ software that worked very well, got the full 30fps at 1080P in live view and recordings. BlueIris gets 30fps at 1080P in live view and recordings but they are working on a problem with some dropped frames in the recorded video. The reason I'm actively testing NVR solutions with Dahua cameras is because I really like the camera and want to use them at home to replace some of my aging ACTi cameras that are over 3 years old and have a mix of both. And not so much because of price, I just find it to a good camera period. When I buy Dahua cameras, I do it like anyone else. Dahua that lent me the camera won't sell to me directly. Same with ACTi, I get cameras on loan from them, but I still have to go to my distributor and buy them.

I get it, I didn't believe any camera from mainland China would be any good. I thought the buzz here over Dahua was just people getting excited over a low cost product, like Foscam that so many people buy. So I asked them to send me a demo camera for a review and I was very surprised that indeed it is a good well made product that rivals cameras costing 2-3x the price.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32021

and in general here.

And for Carl, who never can quuuuite get these things

As for CK2, it is where it has been for the last few years. Runs 24/7/365/3 years now. Same version. If it weren't for SPs and long power outs, it would be over 1000 days of 100% uptime. But, that really is OLD news. Anyway, soon to replaced. What? You didn't know.

I'm not sure I see any serious problems in these links, except the usual "how do I make it do this..." and poor dox issues, which are pretty common across IP cams of different makes. What are the actual problems with the Dahua cameras? Sounding a bit like an axe to grind, but I'm still not clear why.

What's CK2? Teh Google comes up with Crusader Kings II and casein kinase 2. Sounds like you're talking about software, though, so let me ask again, what cameras do you like in the Dahua price range with similar performance and no problems?

Troll? Sure, I'll tilt at windmills for a little while. Maybe get some actual info at some point, maybe not.

CK2 is how he refers to NVR software he sells called CastleKeeper2. You would think he would see an opportunity to make his product compatible with a camera brand that's received a lot of attention where more popular NVR software maybe unaware of Dahua although Milestone is on top of it. Instead he attacks it without having tried it. I can tell you that on my blog, for all the cameras I've reviewed, Dahua get the most hits and it's not just because it was my last review.

Goldserve, from my understanding you installed newer firmware and that fixed your problem, no?

As for RTSP, I've used the camera with BlueIris via RTSP, the url is common knowledge. 40th, do you need help getting it working with Castlekeeper? I can give you remote access to the camera so you can test it. You have to learn to snuggle not struggle.

Yes, the new firmware fixed the auto exposure problem and you can see at night, i can get decent videos of cars going by.

CK2 is how he refers to NVR software he sells called CastleKeeper2. You would think he would see an opportunity to make his product compatible with a camera brand that's received a lot of attention where more popular NVR software maybe unaware of Dahua although Milestone is on top of it. Instead he attacks it without having tried it. I can tell you that on my blog, for all the cameras I've reviewed, Dahua get the most hits and it's not just because it was my last review.

You'd think that updating his product to work with the latest popular cameras should be pretty high on the list of things to do to keep competetive.

Sounds like he could also use a bit of SEO consulting, if his own descriptive terms don't allow Google to place his product on the first few pages of hits.

I actually mentioned in a thread a couple of months ago that I was looking for some better low-light cameras and was looking into Axis, etc, and someone PM'd me with "why not Dahua, Dahua is a great price".

So, if that's not spam/shill I'm not sure what is.

The Dahua cameras look like a very good value, but I'm skeptical that they will meet my requirements.

Damm. Nobody PM'ed me trying to sell me on Dahua. They must like you.

Here's what I got. Even after I explained that my NAS NVR does not support Dahua cams;

Hi.

Just wondering why you settled on Axis. Dahua can be had cheaper no?

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/pr ... ss=0&&id=8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290740459685

Subject: Can I ceiling mount a P3344-VE?

If that's not shilling I don't know what is, other than maybe someone really enthusiastic about a product. Even if I like a product I don't go to the length of sending people a PM about it (pssss... your BMW sucks, buy a Honda, why you wasting money), etc.

If that's not shilling I don't know what is,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

A shill, plant, or stooge is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that he has a close relationship with that person or organization. Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom he is secretly working. The person or group who hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members to purchase the goods or services (or accept the ideas being marketed). Shills are often employed by professional marketing campaigns.

Heh! I believe one or more members were recently banned for shilling Dahua, which may have been related to the PM you got. That doesn't mean that Dahua's no good, of course, which is what the OP was saying - shilling implies bad camera.

I've seen both here - people who really believe Dahua is a good solution, and the shills drumming up business. Anyone with much IP cam experience will figure out the difference pretty easily, as you did. Even the shills posted real-world video that made a pretty compelling case, though they're less likely to tell you about the warts, as Buellwinkle does.

Looks to me like Dahua's an up-and-coming player in the mid-range market, with good features and decent quality for the money. Long-term reliability and support are still question marks, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about them from users.

I've got a few 1MP Vivoteks that I could replace with the 1080p IR bullets and give me lots better nighttime performance, based on posted vids. Once the price drops a bit, or they include WDR in the same price range, I'll probably test one out.

All I know is that there are lots of posts of Dahua camera screen captures taken in excellent lighting conditions, but I have seen very little in the way of video clips, stills, etc, of night time performance. I also don't believe that they have heaters so they are kind of worthless to me as it gets below freezing for 3-4 months out of the year here.

I am sure that for some applications they are great cameras, especially considering that at their price they are effectively disposable.

I'm all for a budget solution that will work, but there's probably a reason that most of the cameras that do what I want/need cost $500-$1000 not $150-$250.

At least for one model, I show day & night images and video, complete darkness night and street light dark in a typical suburban home scenario. The trick some vendors do is show night video in an urban environment which is much brighter.