UMDRanger

TV repair

I have a RCA 32" TV that decided to stop working. When I came home from shopping the other day, my GF said the TV is broke. It had been on, but then the screen went blank and the only audio was a high pitched squealing noise from the back of the unit. She then smelled electrical components burning and unplugged the TV from the outlet (I am actually surprised she realized to do this). Upon plugging it back in, the high pitched squealing kicks in, and I unplug quickly. A google search said to check the resistance accross the Horizontal Output Transistor, and that is should be at a certain level. But I don't know what that level should be. It is now at 20 Ohms... I think. (my electronics are pretty rusty and while better than most of the population, not on a technical level). Upon poking around, checking the resistance, etc, I powered it back up and have a slightly different noise, still high pitched, but on a different part of the circuit board.

Anyone have any experience with fixing these types of problems? If it is as simple as replacing a few components, soldering is something I can do.

Thanks.

Junk it and buy a new one. But if you insist on doing it then do not touch the tube under any circumstances. It's a massive capasitor.

yeah I agree with Thomas, you could easily spot weld a screwdriver across that tube, if not blow your boys off in the process....BE CAREFUL

Scottj

That is the hardest working transistor in a monitor. But the problem is that unless you have a fairly good understanding of electronics and specifically monitor repair, you are better off having it repaired by a qualified technician. And if the tech has experience with that particular chassis board or one similar they should be able to quickly identify the problem.

The reason being is you could replace the transistor yourself, but you need to know what is causing it to fail. If it was just typical monitor problem you might be able to identify the weakness of this board and repair it. But that information is not typically available on the internet. Many times if you can solder fairly well and you can find out what capacitor, resistor or diode commonly fails on the particular board you could fix the problem yourself.

I used to repair several types of monitors but they change so often and each one has it's own type of flaws that cause them to fail. I gave up and started sending mine in for repair. It’s just not worth the time and frustration you will go through.

Forgot to mention that it is very dangerous. You need to remove the wire leading from the high voltage unit to the tube by means of sending the stored juice to ground. I used a screwdriver and pry off the high voltage wire and I have a wire attached to my screwdriver that is grounded to the metal frame that surrounds the monitor chassis.

If I were you I wouldn’t mess with it, even if you have some type of electronics background. If you accidentally bump into the yoke the monitor can implode. Or you can get a shock you won't forget if you don't discharge the high voltage stored in the monitor properly.

Thanks Jasper.

Its an old, bulky and heavy SOB so I was trying to find a way to not have to carry it down the narrow stairs myself. I suppose having a tech look at it would probably be more expensive than buying a new one, such is the way of technology today. Thanks for the good advice guys, will take.

That's the truth. If you took it to a repair place they more than likely would just send out for a new chassis anyway. Nobody wants to try and solder on these tiny new PCB's, not to mention the time involved.

It is more cost effective theses day to just to replace it. Hopefully you got some use out of it before it failed. And when you get the new one everything will be brand new again, instead of having a new board and a used tube.

Yeah, I got one of those 36" paper weights out in my garage. It just had a capacitor go out, but I got 7 years of heavy use out of it so I’m happy. And if you replace one capacitor on a board it is a good practice to replace them all. So when I find a place I can take it to that doesn't charge me too much to dump it, it is out of here.

Those suckers are heavy, mine weighed close to two hundred pounds and very bulky. I replaced mine with an HD, they are very light, I like light.

Yea no doubt about the weight. It has taken quite a beating over the years. I moved it up stairs by myself with a dolly and lots of rope and pillows. lol. My college roommates (200lbs each) could barely carry the tv for longer than 50'. They didn't make any good handholds on this, and the bottom corners were so sharp.

Eh, the GF's brother said he'd buy her a new TV, but I'll believe it when I see it. Oh well, as long as my 13" holds out.

Anyone know a good place to take this? Or costs they will charge? I know I can't just toss it in the dumpster.

You can search the internet and see if there is an electronics recycling place in your area that will take it.

Some will take it with no fee, others will charge a fee, which varies. I found a place near me for my tube, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I would suggest getting rid of it right away or you will end up storing it like I am.