jisaac

Upload blues

The problem from the ISP's end is that end users generally don't need it. And thier fear is P2P which is alot more common then DVR's. But there are some ISP's that might be helpful. Speakeasy is one I've heard good things about. They tend to be geek friendly.

There is one issue to look into. Most of DVR software including client software have frame transmission limit. You must contact manufacturer to see what the limitation is. Total frame number that can be streamed is usually between 10 to 60. It depends on manufacturers.

YES! I am glad someone has confirmed this. I use digiflower cards and I would LOVE to be able to either bypass or get rid of this limit altogether for use on a 100MB/s LAN, but I can't seem to do it! Anyone know of a mfr that allows for a way of setting these limits manually??

well in this application there are two 16 channel dvr's. So it is not pushing all this through one dvr. But ya you are right about that. They do max out.

I was just reading in the December issue of PCWorld that for most consumers in Japan they are paying $30 or less for 50mbps download speed.

I wonder how fast the upload speed is.

And I thought my 4mbps home connection was fast. The upload is only 384kbps.

People would be curious to know what other parts of the world are getting faster broadband than the United States for their consumers.

Anybody else have some examples of up and down broadband speeds available in countries outside of the U.S.?

Here's some info I found:

France: 20Mbps for about $32 USD

Hong Kong: 10Mbps for about $19 USD / 1Gbps for about $215 USD

Japan: 100Mbps for about $50 USD / 1Gbps for about $90 USD

Sweden: 100Mbps for about $40 USD

The U.S. is definitely behind.

Do you recall any of the upload speeds associated with any of these plans?

Thanks for reply.

Bahamas: Cable (i wont even mention DSL!)

Residential

Unlimited Lite - 512kb/s upload speed 2Mb/s download - $36.95

Unlimited Rock - 1Mb/s upload and 4Mb/s download speeds - $69.95

Businesses: Start at: $99.95 per month for basic package, which is slower than the residential. You can pay around $500-1000 a month for a 512kb/s upload for a business, and they have leased lines and much faster stuff too, big $$. ALl this PLUS cable TV itself for residential is $30 a month, $50 a month businesses.

Has anyone been able to get a DSL ISP provider to give you more upload speed if you give back the equivalent in download speed?.

Probably not, but I had to at least ask the question because I don’t know for sure.

My client has SBC Yahoo for their DVR. They have 1.2mbps downstream and only 300+kbps upstream.

What a waste.

I've requested this from a number of ISPs, both DSL and cable. They seem reluctant to do this as they know that people who "really" need the upstream speed are probably willing to pay for it. I have heard of this happening but it seems rare.

On a good note, many ISPs will be offering greater speeds in the near future. For example: beacuse of some systems integration work we have done, my comany will be a "beta tester" for a new 12 megabit *synchronous* broadband product (cable provider) to be offered next year. No official word on pricing yet... Stay tuned.

Comcast finally got around to increasing their download speed from 4mbps to 6mbps. The upload is still capped at 384kbps or around 44KBps upload. This is a consumer account though.

Prices should be dropping for high speed internet, which will have many more people considering buying a DVR, knowing that they can remotely monitor and playback video. People might spring for higher upload speed if the price comes down into a more attractive pricing structure.

It will in time. Just hope that time is soon. It will make many things much more possible.

Finally an Internet service provider rolling out with some good upload speed. Do a search on Google for more detailed information.

Verizon Fios

Here is the current planned price structure that I saw in a press release dated January 19.

* 5 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Suited for Internet surfing and

basic computer functions. $34.95 a month with an annual service plan.

* 15 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream. Appealing to families that have

multiple computers and various needs such as media downloads and the

ability to access or share large files. $44.95 a month with an annual

service plan.

* 30 Mbps downstream and 5 Mbps upstream. Designed for communications-

intensive power users with significant bandwidth needs, such as

telecommuters or work-at-home households and avid online gamers. $179.95

a month with an annual service plan. Promotional pricing is available

in some markets.

Speed test just do not work. If you want a real test find someone with your same provider and have him download from your p2p or ftp and then you will know your real upload speed.

Check out how much my scores vary.

SBC

Download = 17.675 Mbps

Upload = 8.316 Mbps

Test my Net

36975 Kbps (about 37 Mbps)

You downloaded at: 4514 kB/s

Speak Easy (most accurate to what I pay for)

10 Mbps Down

8 Mbps Up

Bandwith Place

2.5 Mbps Down

Speakeasy is the one I use.

That is some great speed if that is a consumer account? Who is your ISP?

BandWidthPlace has the best results for us down here ... 1.7 down .. accurate as Im supposed to only have 1.5, my friend has 2.5 and it got it around 2.4 ..

Rory

Speakeasy is the one I use.

That is some great speed if that is a consumer account? Who is your ISP?

I wish

It is a direct fiber link to the atdn.net

Oh.

That's AOL's Transit Data Network. Well I guess your lucky to have access if your in Houston or Dallas. Hopefully you aren't paying too much.

The newer services rolling out by SBC (AT&T again), Verizon and others can't some soon enough. Speeds seem to be finally increasing though for the same price and in some cases lower pricing. I know SBC is offering a 14.99 DSL account for new customers.

Those high upload speeds look attractive for DVR's.

Luck to have access in Houston?

Check out the map http://atdn.net/network_map.shtml

3 Continents with 150 Gbps speed.

Yeah I have seen the map.

Still better than being out in the country. I'm jealous of those fast connections also, but location, location, location. Or maybe I am missing the point of other services avaible in that area that are quicker but probably more costly.

Some small company in my area did that already. I will be checking out how much upload speed they can offer in the country part of my area. Currenlty can only get 384kbps upstream.

This wireless service, very small maket area is 2mpbs upstream, ideally and up to 5mpps upstream. Would be nice. 384kbps is just not enough for streaming video, even if heavily compressed.

Just passing on this information about Comcast's Hight Speed Internet.

After running accross a post on the internet I became aware their was an unadvertised plan where you can pay an extra $10 per month and up your upload speed from 384kbps to 768kbps.

You also get an addtional 2mbps for a total of 8mbps download speed.

I have ordered a 1.2mbps symetrical service from a local wirelss ISP and am looking forward to seeing how that works out as Verizon has not rolled out in most of the areas I have been looking at.