illnino999

4 cables No box can someone help?

Hey!

Moved into my mates house few months ago, ive noticed he has cctv I asked does it work he said his brother set it up it used to go into a box and come out of a small tv on top. Cut a long story short he has now gone and we have no box. What would the box of been? I know the cameras are years old have the connections changed? Im good at building computers could I build one so these cables can go into it and record?? Any help would be appreciated, Ill upload some pics of what is here.

202210_1.jpg

202210_2.jpg

What do those lovely neat labels say? Those connectors are not usual for CCTV systems however they could be the leads to the cameras from some proprietary kit that was made to sell out of a chain store and wasn't supposed to be anything other than a stand alone system. Those look like DIN plugs.

Unless you know what's what, it isn't worth messing with the cables to put your own connectors on and replace the missing box with a DVR. The only advantage I can see is the cables can be used to pull new cables through and then supplu your own CCTV cameras to replace the ones already there.

They just say cam one cam two. My mate said the white plug used to go into the box. Which had a vhs recorder. So do you think i could get a dvr... with 4 din inputs plug it in and away we go? Lol

They just say cam one cam two. My mate said the white plug used to go into the box. Which had a vhs recorder. So do you think i could get a dvr... with 4 din inputs plug it in and away we go? Lol

hi. it is possable but some things to look out for before you spend money. DIN systems are old so they will be poor quality cameras or even B/W only.

also the power for these systems to camera was 5 to 8v. cameras now are 12/24v so you will have problems powering them.

if you want to try using your cameras you will need to take a picture of camera and also take one apart and take pictures of inside so we can workout a rewire for them to work. you can try and see them working first before you buy a dvr.

Hey!

Moved into my mates house few months ago. I've noticed he has cctv. I asked, "Does it work?" He said his brother set it up. It used to go into a box and come out of a small tv on top. Cut a long story short he has now gone and we have no box. What would the box have been? I know the cameras are years old. Have the connections changed? I'm good at building computers. Could I build one so these cables can go into it and record?? Any help would be appreciated, I'll upload some pics of what is here.

Those connectors on the camera cables are 6 pin DIN. The original system may have been made by LOREX. Lorex now makes adapter cables that adapt the old 6 pin DIN cables to use modern BNC or RCA connectors. That way, the existing cameras can plug directly into modern DVR systems.

Here are links to the two versions of adapter cables:

http://www.lorextechnology.com/security-camera-cable%2C-BNC-cables%2C-security-camera-adapter/6-PIN-DIN-to-RCA-BNC-and-Power-converter-cable-for-cctv/2150.p

http://www.lorextechnology.com/security-camera-cable%2C-BNC-cables%2C-security-camera-adapter/RCA-BNC-and-Power-to-6-PIN-DIN-converter-cable/2149.p

Edited by Guest

Ok thanks for your help. It seems abit to technical for me to take on. As far as i can see it. I need to buy 4 adapters converting the din to a modern plug. Which have power adapter on them that goes into another box to reduce the power down from 12v but what that power adapter is called. Who knows . Might be easier to buy a whole new system lol

Lorex has a pinout of the DIN connectors on their website support section:

http://www.lorextechnology.com/support/self-serve/Camera+Cables+and+Connectors/2900032

that all assumes it was a lorex system before. there've been a number of manufacturers that have used this type of connector for cheap package systems over the years... few of them use the same pinouts, or the same voltages. you may be feeding 9v into a camera designed for 5v, or sending power up the camera's video feed - even if it doesn't kill the camera and/or dvr, it simply won't work.

numb-nuts is right, your best bet is to just pull new cables and install new cameras... if you're lucky, the old ones aren't strapped to anything and you can attach the new cables to the end and use the old ones to fish the new ones through.

illnino could you post a photo of the actual camera so as to give members a chance of saying which manufacturer they are from.

You are amazing thankyou. Ill have a lool

I will second that, NOW YOU'RE IN BUSINESS if the pin-outs are the same if not you could be the proud owner of a pool of molten plastic If the cameras have a brand name on the label somewhere and they say Lorex, you could be in business.

Otherwise it's replacing the lot, but I agree it would be satisfying to use the existing cameras