CSG

WizKid WZ15N

I installed a WZ15N D/N IR Bullet cam. The daytime image is great, the image in near total darkness leaves much to be desired. The specs call for 35'-40' illumination, I barely get 15, with very bad halo effect.

This is the daytime image:

www.consumers-energy.com/ebay/wz15n.jpg

This is the image with no light. The subject is 15' out from the camera

www.consumers-energy.com/ebay/wz15na.jpg

WZ15N Features

Sony 1/3â€

Wow. That's not exactly perfection, is it?! Thanks for posting this, I'll be sure to think twice before purchasing one of these. Has anyone has the same experience with this camera?

There really isnt much of a comparison there, one is indoors in 100% pitch dark with nothing to reflect off of, and the other has the ground and stairs to reflect off of, and is outside where it perhaps will pick up additional lighting.

Also, the CVC-7706DNV is twice the cost of the WizKid WZ15-ZN.

Regardless, the indoor garage is too large to expect anything from any IR bullet camera. IR needs something to reflect off, even if you use a UF500 it needs something to reflect off of, and flood the area, well actually that will work in that garage area as it will shoot well past the distance of the walls from the camera.

Dont expect performance such as the UF100 and especially not the UF500 from an IR bullet camera, any of them.

Anyway, I wouldnt suggest any IR bullet camera for that garage application as it just wont do much. You would need something like the UF100 at the least, to flood the area with 30 degrees or better 60 degree beam. The 7706DNV will perhaps go further than the WizKid Bullet due to the additonal IR LEDs, and ofcourse you are paying double for the camera.

Rory

PS. The Specs you posted are for the WZ15N, which is not the camera you are using. The WZ15-ZN is not a true day night camera which is why it is half the cost of the CVC-7706DNV, and that also means it wont have as much IR pickup as the WZ15N which is a BW camera with IR.

I'm going to take a "shot in the dark" here.

- what power supply are you using. how many camera's and types?

- what type of wire are you using to power the IR camera's?

garage camera; replace power supply with a outlet type and see if the difference is seen.

if you can without voiding the warranty, pull the lense off/out and check the difference. Before you do, clean the camera lense well.

halo = reflected from lense(s), smears on lense(s), camera case cover

your night view looks "weak" at best, compared to my 7706's. Mine don't halo unless dirty and the IR is ok with no reflection. I can let you view my Server video if you'd like. You'll be able to review the recorded also. PM me.

the above may not work...........and call Provideo as they will troubleshoot this problem for you via the phone no problem.

The cable is rg-59 siamese with 18 ga power wires. The Power Supply is a large 12v Altronix (12.7v by my Fluke DMM), connectors are Amphenol 3 piece crimp, cable runs are about 75 - 100 ft.

that image from wz15 actually there are two problem there

1. halo issue..

that caused by the donut around the lens is not complete attach with window so the ir sneak into the lens

2.poor image in the night shot

wz15 is d/n camera the ir distance will reach around 40' but if there is no object on the front of camera it is really hard to see the whole landscape image.. but this is not the problem of camera this is because d/n camera use ir cut filter on the ccd they can't receive 100% ir in the night the only way to improve such d/n camera you need extra IR beside the camera they you may see better night shot in the night but is you can rid of the ir halo issue the image will improve least 20%

good luck

The WZ15ZN doesnt have an IR Cut Filter.

Im with you on using seperate IR though, it is always the best.

I dont know how they make them, but they must disable them then, cause they have no active IR Cut Filter, as it is not a True Day Night camera.

I asked them when or if they would implement an IR cut Filter in their wizKid line anytime soon, but they say they dont plan to, they are investing that time and technology on their Extreme CCTV cameras, in the MX versions.

I have one of those cameras and there is no IR filter on it.

And you can easily tell by looking at the color distortion the camera will produce.

Those cameras have a software IR cut filter, plus you are using an inferior chipset (Super Had vs ExView vs HQ). The halo is a common problem on IR cameras, especially when they don't have anything to reflect off of. So the only light you see is what reflects off the plastic lense cover.

I agree the chipset isn’t as good as Exview, but it is half the cost.

Software IR filter?

I see it is IR sensitive, but I don’t see anything about an IR filter.

Where did you get that information? Post a link if you have one.

As far as the IR Halo some cameras are worse than others.

This one wasn’t too bad. I would rather have external IR illumination to prevent the Halo, but if you’re budget doesn’t permit it then this cameras IR is better than no IR.

WZ15-ZN is actually a Color/BW camera.

The original poster posted the model number of the BW on accident.

actually its just a color camera that cuts off the chromo digitally, has no IR cut filter which is why it is cheaper, does less work

Well after installing 2 more N600H1's I found out something about the halo issue.

The N600H1's come in a black housing and these wizkids are white.

WZ15N_MED.jpg30096_1.jpg

So trying to make my 600's blend in to my white vinyl trim on the house I used some white vinyl used to make signs and I covered the camera with this. Looks great.

However....when I used the white on the underside of the sun shield, then the halo appeared.

This could be the problem with these wizkids.

he he .. black, white, doesnt matter, i have black and white IR bullets at a place here ..they all have IR glare issues when they are dirty.

Well that may be true about the dirty lens.

But I just know for a fact that the white sunshield made a halo and when I removed it, no halo.

Which I thought maybe if they had black under the sunshield of the wizkid maybe it would help.

From what I saw of the pic, that is the way mine looked till I removed the white vinyl.