Fajorey

Just bought a House. old system?

I just bought a house. (yeay me) and on my house are 2 Cameras. I know nothing about this. the house was a foreclosure so i can not ask the previous owners for info or what they used. around the house there are Coaxial hook ups. like Cable tv hook ups that say CCTV 1 CCTV 2. Ive tried to hook these up to my TV but nothing also tried using a screw to AV cable converter but still nothing(sorry i dont know the correct names of the cables). how do i know they are working?(can work) The house there is a maze of cables i dont know what goes to what and at the moment some areas i just cant get to, dont have a 20ft ladder. I do have some pics. if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

http://imgur.com/a/C4zso

ha ha ha the number of times I attended a client that said their system wasn't working and the PSU became unplugged. I stopped telling customers what I found I just tell em it's not a warranty issue and they only have to pay the a call-out charge. which includes the first half hour of labour. When I have told them it needed plugging in they invariably start tryingt invent reasons that I shouldn't charge them £75 + Tax for plugging in their DVR or cameras. They don't see that I must tax insure and fuel my van plus there is the loss of my time, none of that is for free.

To reiterate what best price has just said, verify the camera voltage and see if you can trace back the power supply unit or the power leads at least. If we knew the camera model numbers that might give us a clue as to the correct voltage 12VDC or 24VAC (or there are some 5VDC on the market)

I do not see a coax plugged into that camera in your photo album. Did you unplug it? As the others have said, invest in a multimeter

and make sure your camera is getting power. I appreciate DIY'rs, but if you have wires all over your house and your unable to figure

out what is what, it might be a good investment to have a all around low voltage guy come in as a free estimate and give you

an estimate to get things up and running, but while he gives you the estimate, have him tell you what is what in your new home?

You can use a wire tracer on one end and use the probe to see if you get a signal on one of the wires at the other end. You will be able to narrow down what wire goes where pretty quickly

184381_1.jpg

it was the power. it was unplugged. They looked like Phone power booster things (idk something my dad said when we were walking around the place). 2 transformers per camera. in the pics i took the cable off. but that was back on when testing. i hooked them back up to the TV and they work. thanks for the input though. What is the most cost effective thing? i have a 2nd PC that i can use. should i get a CCTV capture card? where is the best place to look?

No idea your location, but looking online for cctv capture cards should bring back a few results.

What are the specs of your 2nd computer that will be used for this?