Are there any free ddns services these days that do not require the monthly renewal process? I'm having trouble finding any...

Thanks

thanks for the recommendation. however, on two different windows 7 machines I get this error after installing and trying to login to the windows update client. doesn't seem to work

dnserr.jpg.d6888a026b83b8570c69b85394a8eaba.jpg

What are you trying to install that is not working? All you have to do is register at nvrdns.com and enter a domain name and than enter that info

in your DVR.

I need a DDNS update tool for Windows, not a standalone dvr.

OH, because your first post was that you were looking for a free ddns service, which nvrdns.com is free. So, your windows did not give you

that error mssg with no-ip?

Will nvrdns.com track your ip address and self update? My current ISP is changing my ip address almost every week? If it doesnt self update what is the best free/paid dyndns site to do this?

Thanks.

Your DVR is supposed to update your IP address not DBMS server. That is why you enter your the DNS servers IP and login info in your DVRs ddns setting. I use Nvrdns for multiple clients and when their IP changes sometimes it takes a few hours sometimes it takes one day sometimes it takes five minutes to update.

i have entered the information into the section on the dvr control panel:

DDNS Type: Dyndns DDNS (other options are private DDNS, NO-IP DDNS, CN99 DDNS)

Server IP: freedns.afraid.org

Port: 80

Domain Name:

Username:

Password:

Alive Interval: 300

But still when BT change my IP every week, it does not track, I have to manually log into freedns.afraid.org and update the IP address in there.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks.

Your DDNS is not supposed to 'track' your IP, something in your home is supposed to send the update to your DDNS. Think about it, if your IP changes, how is the DDNS supposed to find your modem? Why are you using windows to update your IP anyway?

Shouldn't you be using your dvr? And if you register in nvrdns.com, you can actually download a windows program that will update

your IP for you to nvrdns.com. You have to install it in a computer running in your network and keep it running in the background.

my preferred way to do this is using a router that supports user-defined ddns services, such as one running dd-wrt firmware (a few others do let you define your own ddns services as well). this way it doesn't rely on the dvr or a computer on the network being up or running properly in order for the ddns entry to be updated.

206524_2.png

if that's not an option, you can run dynsite (http://noeld.com/services.htm) on any windows machine on your network.

it really doesn't matter whether the ddns updater runs on the dvr, a pc, or the router - it's updating the ddns server with the current "public" ip of your connection, an ip that all devices on the lan share.