ClosedCircuitCom

GeoVision Server

If you want a larger hard drive that performs almost as well as the Raptor buy a Seagate 400GB (SATA or EIDE) drive as they have broken the 100GB per platter barrier. They use 133GB platters which speeds up data transfer rates.

I own the Hitachi 500GB drive SATA drive as well and it just uses and additional 100GB platter to increase the capacity to 500GB. The Seagate 400GB 7200.8 (8th generation) drive performs better. If you need the Native Command Queing features than the SATA version is your best bet. The Seagate actually outperforms the Raptor in a real world benchmark test conducted by Maximum PC.

I bought an inexpensive PCI card for SATA support which provide onboard RAID 0 support if you want to increase your hard drive throughput performance. Let me know if your interested and I will get you the information on the card, it is a combo card with Firewire 1394A and USB 2.0 support as well.

I use several drives through daisy chaining external firewire drives, though in the near future external SATA drives will be introduced with all the benefits of SATA.

In addition the Hitachi drive runs hotter and the Seagate has a longer warranty.

that 4.2ghz system seems a little over kill .. i mean if you are going to spend that might as well get the best video card out also.

I running a 2.0Ghz with 512MB and a 128 card, and im streaming 30 cameras from multiple "slow" geo sites, in a test environment also. I dont have any issues, when you go over 30 though may be an issue, ill know soon enough.

ClosedCircuit,

Have you figured out whether you need the dispatch server or not as I don’t see that answer provided here?

I am going to install the CentralV2 on my DVR system and was wondering if you had figured out what you needed to do in order to enable what you’re trying to do? I figured you read through the manual and it didn’t help so I figured I won’t bother reading it either.

I will be doing it the hard way also, trial and error. Although I may just stick with remote playback, but what you’re trying to accomplish would be good to know.

I’ll will set the situation up to test it if I know what software I need to install. I can’t emulate all the clients that you want to handle though, just the basic function.

Let us know if you have come up with a solution to your question or are still looking for some help?

And using the CentralV software installed on the DVR PC you were able to retrieve video files to your client PC?

Any special software needed on the Client PC in order to receive the video and process it into directory or whatever it does?

Well I read a little bit anyway. It looks like CenterV is really setup for atachements? If you are recording video from the DVR site to the PC it must be degraded somehow. It would take enormous bandwidth to record live video streams?

Edited by Guest

just install it on the server and install it on the client, enter the client's IP address into the DVR server, and have Center auto connect on start, it will keep trying to connect several times in the background if it cant connect.

I did that, but I can’t connect. I have the DVR computer setup and it is binding to 192.168.1.103, my computer the client is .101. I get cannot connect message. The DVR computer is connected to my computer via a linksys router and has an active internet connection so I know the DVR PC has connectivity.

Should just work, make sure the client PC doesnt have the windows firewall enabled.

If you can load VNC on it i can get on and get it running for you.

Rory

I checked the firewall already. I don't use the crappy one that comes with windows. I use Sygate firewall.

I can disable that and if you tell me what the heck VNC is I can figure out what I am supposed to do to let you log on.

Probably missed something in the configuration?

Thanks for the remote assistance Rory.

You were so fast it looked like a remote script was executing. I barely saw my cursor!

Not bad for a guy who has been up all night.

no problem. ...

Maybe I should write a program that does it all automatically

And i hear your CPU usage is only at 11% now

I keep getting the following message from Client Side of using Center V2, ver 7.05.

"The connection of Center is abnormal" - What a helpful message.

What can cause this message to be generated?

I have a low bandwidth connection (384kbps) in which I am trying to stream 1 camera back to the client. 30 seconds of video every ten minutes. 640x480, lowest quality, 5 fps, 2 secs pre, 3 seconds post.

Can somebody confirm to me that this is related to bandwidth or what else might be causing this problem?

The despatch server is for deligating where the video data will go to, for example you may have several Geocenter sites and therefore several ISP's to go through, the despacth server is usually on a higher grade connection and it polls the center sites for connectivity, if the site is overloaded and can not take any more connections or if it is down it can buffer it to another site.

You will not have too many issues with bandwidth if you stick to solid state motion detection...IE use the GVIO relays in conjuction with an alarm to activate the streaming, this can also be latched via an alarm panel..

An example would be that you put your pincode on your keypad to arm your alarm, this would cause an closed circuit on the GVIO board, this then tells the software to log in using your account user name and password to the center site and shoul also be used to set your schedule for night time recordings, entering the PIN again will disable the connection.

I would imagine the reason you can not connect is because you need to create the account first in the Center V2.. it is not unlike an alarm monitoring station, the customer does not simply connect, first it needs to be programmed in... make sure your account user and password match both on the Center V2 and the DVR.

My suggestion is to (only for demo) run it on one box and use a twin view video card for testing... you can easily set your dvr to connect to the Center V2 by making the DVR connect to 127.0.0.1 (local host) then you can wire into the I/O board and try it out without having to run between two machines.

You can stream on alarm,motion,ftp or constant, the last option is going to chew your bandwidth to bits!!!!

Actually, I am sure everyone knows but some may not..so please excuse if you already do...however,

You can always demo any geo software including webcam, from the same machine that has the card in it, when i do a demo I connect to 127.0.0.1 and then can show the webcam or any other application even without a netwrok...granted though it does not represent speed, but at least you can show them how easy it is to configure and use!!

yep, or localhost also ..

also you can have mutiple servers on different ports ..eg Geo on 81, IIS on 82, etc .. not that you'd want to do that for clients though..

ID and Password, not an issue, the DVR and the Client PC are the same.

I might just have to accept the fact that I have an “Abnormal connection to the Centerâ€

Are you still receiving images, when you receive this message?

I would suggest that you check the following:

Make sure that the routers at BOTH ends have the releveant ports forwarded.

i.e

GV Client 5546 - 5549 forwarded to the LAN IP of the GV system

Center V2 5546 - 5549 forwarded to the LAN IP of the V2 system.

Cheers

Yeah the ports are forwarded correctly on both routers.

What happens when I receive the message is that human intervention is required to restart the CenterV2 client software. And no the video ceases to transmit. I answer yes to to close the connection and then it restarts automatically when the CenterV2 on the server end makes contact with the Client PC.

Then I get about 3 video clips or so and then get that dreaded message. I thought it might be caused by someone logging on to the WebCam at the same time a video transfer was taking place because I saw the problem happen at that time. But it also happens when no one is logged on using WebCam.

Also tried running CenterV2 and no WebCam server and the didn't make any difference either. Stumped at the moment.

Where can you get CenterV 2?

Is that the software within the geovision setup CD? What does centerv2 do?