Sign in to follow this  
tonyvlx

Costco, Lorex or "Q"See ????

Im thinking of installing 6 cameras for my home. I know the Costco Cameras/DVR pkgs are not the best,but i have $800 credit to spend at Costco. Out of the two brands Lorex or "Q" See which is the better??? Pro's and cons??? Thank you

I've seen the Lorex cameras and I did not like how the pictures were so bad. The image quality was poor, IMO.

I like the Q-See cameras, especially the QM6006B. Very good nightvision and comes with IR cut filter.

Spend the costco credit on something else. Avoid Lorex. Q-see is fine, but it's better to pick one of their dvr's and buy it separately and then pick and choose your cameras for each location you'll need. The boxed kits are never a one size fits all and you'll be spending more after the fact even if you think everything is right in that box.

What is the specs of the q-see boxed kit? I'm curious what package they put together.

If you dont mind take a look at www.costco.ca and tell me what system would be the best quality. Thanks for your help

The only brand I'd consider there is q-see and none of the packages would be appropriate overall. Not one of the packages I looked at in your price range has a varifocal camera. Every package had a fixed 5mm lens and all of them were bullet cameras. One package had a laughable ptz. As I suggested, buy all items separately and you will get more flexibility, better quality, better results per camera location, and actually save money. You mention nothing about what you actually need out of a system, how many cameras, or anything. You need to figure out specifically what you need and what you need to look at. Otherwise you're surly headed for the typical mistake of buying a package thinking you can't go wrong and you'll be the one person the package will work for, only to set it up and look at the shots and THEN understand what the deal is. Know what you want to monitor, understand what you need to accomplish that well, buy what you need accordingly. Otherwise sure- pick a package and toss the 800 credit away.

ok thanks for the info. Basically im new to all this. I need 6 cameras to watch over my residence. Im thinking 3 cameras for frontal coverage and the remaining 3 cameras for both sides and rear of my home.Id like to be able to monitor my property at night and also while im away via internet. Can you recommend me a camera and DVR maufacture i should stick with??? Keep in mind i am on a budjet. Thank you

Have you seen the New IP MP system they have for sale at costco?

It's also under your budget by a hundred.

Its 4 1.3MP 720P cams and a 1TB NVR. 400 ft of cat5 included with everything else.

heres the kit

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-4-Channel-HD-Digital-NVR-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-720p-IP-Cameras.product.100003211.html

Here's the 10page thread about them in the ip sub forum.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32694

This system is much better than any Analog system they sell, or you could buy for the same amount I would think.

If you can hold off another month or so, Costco said they will be releasing a larger IP MP system, 8ch or more

and they would be 1080P etc... I'm trying to sell my analog system for one of these. Great Value.

Here's some sample pics from the kit.

203617_1.jpg

203735_2.jpg

NOTE: THEY ARE NOW SENDING 8 CHAN UNITS FOR THEIR 4 CHAN.

Yes, I had to yell. LOL, Their sending 8 Chan DVR's out for those who buy their 4CH. I think it's just a firmware update

allowing them to do it. Still only 4POE but now can add 4 more Non-POE