pahanorlando

Need couple advices

Hey, I had couple questions.

First of all I noticed that you guys always recommend Dahua (or whatever the brand is) to everyone. I got my eye on Defender brand, which I've seen selling for under $400 with 8 cameras. So why is Dahua better?

Another thing I wanted to ask you, whats the difference between analog and IP camera? Only quality? is IP camera always 720p?

Do you think 600 would be good quality?

I was looking into spending under $500 for a system with 8 cameras.

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203267390/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=defender&storeId=10051

Pros and Cons would be appreciated. Thanks

Just about ALL DVRs do the job of recording & retrieving video footage OK. The big difference is the other functions provided. I have found that the cheaper the DVR the less friendly is the user interface, some to such an extent that actually downloading & removing footage is a nightmare. The other BIG thing I ALWAYS look at is the warranty, I won't touch anything that hasn't a 3 year warranty. You won't get a 8ch IP system with 8 IP cameras for your budget of under $500. Even an analogue system with 8 cameras for under $500 you will get crap hobbyist cameras that are useless.

The biggest factor that a cheaper DVR will be is what resolution it will record. The less resolution it records, the less detail

in the picture. A DVR that records EVERY channel in D1, the highest analag, will be more expensive than one that won't.

I can't even find the specs on that DVR you want to buy from home depot. And more than likely, those cameras will give you

a not so good picture at night time. So, when you ask why is Dahua better, it's because at the quality it has, it's the best deal around. I know plenty of people that has purchased that ''KITS'' for under 500 with 8 cameras and a recorder and they ended

up ripping it out because the quality sucked moose balls and ended up buying real cameras and a quality DVR.

Dahua is the Toyota of the DVR world, inexpensive, reliable and a good value. Not the best by a long shot, but the best value. Anything cheaper is likely to have some real compromises. There is also a ton of 3rd party stuff for Dahua.

Thanks a lot.

Quick follow up question, is Q-see always Dahua?

There is a long discussion on this. It is very similar but I believe is different firmware or embedded differently because my dahua cameras will not work on the Qsee iPhone app.

And keep in mind, there are higher quality and lower quality products in every manufacturer. Some dahua dvr's do not record in D1 so they are less expensive. Do not just google for dahua and buy the cheapest price. Do some research first on what something can or can't do and than when you know what you want it to be able to do, search for the product capable of doing it, THAN search for the cheapest price for THAT product!