patrija

Newbie System Design

Hi. I'm researching a CCTV system for my house and could use advice. This system will have 2(+?) outdoor cameras overlooking my yard and have 1(+?) underwater cameras in a koi pond. There will be no indoor cameras. Don't believe I'll need PTZ cameras. I do want some low lux / IR cameras for some level of night viewing. Primary use of the system will be internet streaming. Secondary use is dvr security. I'm leaning towards a stand alone DVR and wired cameras for max performance and to limit any impact to my home network. Budget is around $1500.

I think that covers most of the questions I've seen when people ask for advice. If I missed something, please let me know, thanks!

That is a pretty low budget to accomplish what you want to do.

You might be able to do it by using a stand alone DVR? You would probably have to use cheap OEM cameras as well. And IR illuminators which would be needed to make a scene visible in total darkness costs a considerable amount of money.

Someone with experience with an inexpensive DVR should be able to give you a better idea.

Have you read through the forum thoroughly? There are numerous posts regarding all sorts of DVR’s and cameras.

Edited by Guest

You would need to look at something like the AvTech 4 channel DVR, something in that price range. Then for cameras, well Infrared wont do much if its a bullet so just ignore that part, but if you want color in the day and BW at night, the price goes up, if you can get away with just BW for the low light areas, then you will save some.

For the Pond Camera, that will be tough, there are some cheap so called Waterproof cameras, but how long they will last is the question. Extreme CCTV makes a PVC camera designed for underwater, like pools, etc. but its not cheap.

Basically $1500 will get you a budget System, any more information on the home lighting outside, where they will be mounted, kind of views you are looking for, what kind of weather do you have there, etc. will help some.

Rory

Thanks everyone. I knew this would be a stretch at $1500, but am trying to get something a bit better than Swann/Q-See. This is good input. I'm a bit flexible on the number, but one of the reasons I'm doing this is to watch construction of the backyard landscape and koi pond ... so that's where the vast majority of the budget needs to go.

For the underwater camera, I am initially looking at the Lorex Pro CVC-6991. A few friends have that in their pond and are happy with it.

As far as weather ... Atlanta tends to be pretty nice. For the pond, I expect to use 2 cams with overlapping fixed views under a first story roof eave. Furthest part of the pond will be about 30 feet from a camera. The third cam will be on the other side of the pond pointed back to the house for a "wide" view. A final camera will either be underwater or mounted high to get a top view of the pond - not sure which is better to see the koi.

Jason, for the koi pond, you need to really think about that Lorex CVC-6991 camera, its lux is at 0.1 lux , as opposed to the Visiontech i previously suggested which is at 0 LUX . price seems to be the same for either.

Thanks Spytown.

How do my options change if I went with a 4 channel DVR and only 1 outdoor camera color/bw for now? Same objectives of best viewing over internet. Same budget of approx. $1500. I would buy the other 3 cameras as $ comes available.

With a primary goal of internet viewing, I'm wondering if a video server would provide better quality viewing? Take a look at the following for the streaming quality I'm looking for. Does not appear all cameras are up. That underwater camera is the Lorex I mentioned.

http://12.111.130.38/view/index.shtml