voip-ninja

Recommended budget/residential NVR software?

I thought buellwinkle was going to post a review of the Avigilon software on his blog? I'm also looking for a good NVR solution for small residential installs.

Could one of the Avigilon reps PM me with pricing info and a way for me to try out the software? Much thanks!

I would love to see a review as it saves me the time and trouble of trying something out that may or may not be a good fit.

Not sure if the mobile viewing part will meet your needs. But I use netcamcenter with Axis, sony and vivotek to record videos (some D1, some mega pixel). I run it on my work PC on 2nd monitor, works well for me. The software is easy to setup.

Offered to do a review, nobody including Avigilon stepped up to the plate and provided me the software to try out.

Me thinks it's a secret society, a cult if you will where they want people to know they exist and they are superior for being in their circle. You have to be invited/recomended by a current member to join. Like Masons, Knights Templar or Illuminati.

Information like pricing are very closely guarded. They talk about how great Avigilon is but you can't have it or it won't work with YOUR camera closely mimics Seinfield's Soup Nazi where they limit accessibility to people they like and use language to discourage non-believers.

Avigilon have a very good reason why they operate that way...it is a pro software.

And are world leaders in what they do.... Putting out into DIY market makes it not a pro product.

Avigilon have a very good reason why they operate that way...it is a pro software.

And are world leaders in what they do.... Putting out into DIY market makes it not a pro product.

Just what I would expect an elitist secret society to say. They hold their head up high and put themselves in a catagory of their own inferring that Milestone XProtect Enterprise, ExacqVision Pro, Luxriot Pro, NUUO, Geovision that share pricing and offer trial downloads to anyone with a computer are non-pro software that are not worthy, yet they fail to show any evidence of their superiority.

Just what I would expect an elitist secret society to say. They hold their head up high and put themselves in a catagory of their own inferring that Milestone XProtect Enterprise, ExacqVision Pro, Luxriot Pro, NUUO, Geovision that share pricing and offer trial downloads to anyone with a computer are non-pro software that are not worthy, yet they fail to show any evidence of their superiority.

Ok I'll put it another way............ There has to be security products that NEED to stay out of the public domain. Or you can't call them hight security products.

Avigilon do and will alway be used in high risk areas America . Canada . Uk.

You do blogs on security...........if you can't understand why avigilon sell the way they do or protect there software.....and the reason why then you need to sit back and think.

Avigilon products Have to be protected...and for good reason.

buellwinkle Your readers are not Avigilon's target customers so they have no need for you to review it.

Well, he reviews quite a few mid-level cameras that people deploy in a small business or residential setting. So, with this in mind, I'm wasting my time looking at giving Avigilon a try?

buellwinkle Your readers are not Avigilon's target customers so they have no need for you to review it.

Well, he reviews quite a few mid-level cameras that people deploy in a small business or residential setting. So, with this in mind, I'm wasting my time looking at giving Avigilon a try?

Check your PM

Cameras I review can cost several thousands of dollars, used in commercial high security situations. The risk to national security can't possiby rest on the shoulders of Avigilon. I know of camera brands that are exclusively sold to government agencies and actually they offered to provide me cameras for reviews. Not to mention, why would the U.S. risk it's national security on a product not made in the U.S.?

So you say it's not for home or small bunsiness use, yet most of the people on this forum are looking for security for just that and you recomend Avigilon. Sort of a contradiction, no? Don't they make a lower end product just for this purpose? Or is it for national security of smaller countries like Liecthenstien?

Check your PM

I will try to call you tomorrow depending on my schedule. Sorry for the delays, super busy here for the past week or so.

The national security thing is a bit over the top. They're pimping out demos to everybody with a screen name and the possibility of a profit. The unpublished price structure has only one purpose- a sliding pricing scheme where they can overcharge entities that can afford it without it being gouging while still enabling sales and profits in situations where pockets aren't infinitely deep.

As for getting an unbiased review, all someone would have to do would be to log on here with a name other than buellwinkle and say they were interested in spending money. Ka-ching! Suddenly a pm would be sent without a background check. I bet a credit check would be higher on the list.

The national security thing is a bit over the top. They're pimping out demos to everybody with a screen name and the possibility of a profit. The unpublished price structure has only one purpose- a sliding pricing scheme where they can overcharge entities that can afford it without it being gouging while still enabling sales and profits in situations where pockets aren't infinitely deep.

As for getting an unbiased review, all someone would have to do would be to log on here with a name other than buellwinkle and say they were interested in spending money. Ka-ching! Suddenly a pm would be sent without a background check. I bet a credit check would be higher on the list.

would u sell product for free ?

would u like to do review ?

You have any proof I am "piming out demos"? If your accusations where correct wouldn't I want buellwinklie to do a review so everyone would just start emailing me their credit card numbers.? I have given demos to qualified people only and I could count the customers I have on this forum on one hand. Stop with the BS

The national security thing is a bit over the top. They're pimping out demos to everybody with a screen name and the possibility of a profit.

would u sell product for free ?

would u like to do review ?

I most definitely would not support my family trying to sell a product for free on here and neither should you. Unless, of course, it was a top secret national security product that was exclusively for military or homeland security. Which, of course, Avigilon's products aren't, but then I'd charge the gov't through the nose to ensure that I stayed in business and eager to provide future support. That's the benefit of capitalism. I used the language I did with Tom to show that his language was inaccurate when describing buellwinkle's situation and the reasoning behind him being denied a copy of software (or whatever else) appropriate for a homeowner or businessperson monitoring their property. I bet Avigilon has products that would fit nicely into a budget of $2000 or higher. Buellwinkle reviews products and systems in that price range or quite a bit higher in multi-camera installations.

You guys are on here to promote your products, make money, and hopefully give the general public some advice in areas that you have expertise in. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not in the market for an Avigilon product at this time. Perhaps later.

You have any proof I am "piming out demos"? If your accusations where correct wouldn't I want buellwinklie to do a review so everyone would just start emailing me their credit card numbers.? I have given demos to qualified people only and I could count the customers I have on this forum on one hand. Stop with the BS

I'm not surprised you missed the purpose of the extremely colourful language I used to illustrate my point with Tom. It wasn't a personal insult. There is no need to "prove" that you're offering demos on here to those you think are potential customers. You are and I'm fine with that. It's a public service, more or less. No troubles at all. The trouble would be if you were offering up national security secrets for money to anonymous people on a public forum, which again you obviously aren't, but that is a conclusion that could be drawn *IF* Tom's language and some of your actions were combined. You must agree that Tom was obviously in error, right? You DO sell products that are a good blend with average people who have a budget over a thousand dollars, correct?

As far as posters go on here who are obviously doing business, you definitely don't push your stuff like many of the first-time posters do on here. Some of them are as bad as some guy hawking fake Rolexes out of his jacket on a streetcorner.

My issue with Avigilon's business strategy is that I'm not comfortable dealing with individuals I don't know and paying them whatever they think I can afford. That is how I interpret unpublished pricing. That's fine when dealing solely with large business and/or government-only products that are sold exclusively by sealed bid but, IMHO, isn't suitable for the average guy who wants to shop around because there isn't an Avigilon corner store near him to see things in person. Avigilon's reps would therefore have to be EXTREMELY professional and trustworthy for me to be able to judge whether or not I wanted to do business with them. I'm sure that there are others on here that feel the way I do and whose need and budget fits with a system that isn't sold in a dollar store.

My issue with Avigilon's business strategy is that I'm not comfortable dealing with individuals I don't know and paying them whatever they think I can afford. That is how I interpret unpublished pricing. That's fine when dealing solely with large business and/or government-only products that are sold exclusively by sealed bid but, IMHO, isn't suitable for the average guy who wants to shop around because there isn't an Avigilon corner store near him to see things in person. Avigilon's reps would therefore have to be EXTREMELY professional and trustworthy for me to be able to judge whether or not I wanted to do business with them. I'm sure that there are others on here that feel the way I do and whose need and budget fits with a system that isn't sold in a dollar store.

Again to my point this forum is not Avigilon's target customers. Now can we please go back to Q-See / Dahua products.

Again to my point this forum is not Avigilon's target customers. Now can we please go back to Q-See / Dahua products.

The problem with that statement is that I started this thread asking for residential options for NVR software if I wanted to get something that was in some ways "better" than the Synology NVR that I am currently using, and as a point of comparison I mention that I tried to configure Milestone which has a 4-channel small business system license, including mobile server for about $199... and that's when the discussion of Avigilon as an alternative came up. I understand things are all secret with you guys, but if $199 is not in the ballpark then you are correct, it's not worth my time or that of some of the others here.

If $199 however IS in the ballpark then I think you are wrong, there are many residential users who would consider paying a bit more for what would hopefully be "superior" software to the real budget offerings that are out there.

For what it's worth, a 4 camera license pack on my Synology was about $125 which also puts it in the "ballpark" for home security enthusiasts like myself. So I'm very interested in what else is on the market that is in the $150-$250 type price range.

If you search online you can find the Avigilon pricing easy enough. Bing and Google have found full price lists for me to go through at my leisure. Usually it has been found for me in the supporting documents for state bids where info has to be public it appears?

I just looked at one example a few seconds ago to refresh my memory, and with what New York State is paying I'd say Avigilon is not in the ballpark.

There are some good options out there, when I was looking for my company I would have had 4-5 really good options other than a couple of specific features we needed that were unusual. In the end we went with Exacq and it has worked perfectly for us, Avigilon would have been our second option but pricing was too high compared head to head.

Download some trials and play with them to see what works for you. Only you know really what is right in your case, with your brand cameras and all.

EDIT - Exacq would work with your brands it appears, and would be $50 roughly a camera. Free one camera trial download is out there, might be worth a look at least. Has apps, has a nice web client built in. I use both daily. Almost caught someone breaking in today actually as I got an email alert of video loss from a site 90 miles away. Cut two cameras at 9am, but they were gone when cops showed up 10 minutes later. Likely coming back tonight so I'll be using the apps tonight keeping watch you can be sure!

Edited by Guest

I just want to comment that Alex was really helpful. I have an idea of what the pricing is and can make my determinations from there on if I want to demo the solution.