beardog

Blueiris/Exacq/Avigilon vs hardware NVR

I'm going back forth trying to decide between a software solution or just going with a hardware NVR like a Dahua (Qsee) for a residential install (8 cams).

How do the software solutions compare when reviewing footage? From what I've read, it appears Avigilon offers the best package, but it sounds the most expensive. I'd appreciate a PM with Avigilon Core license pricing.

Are there any tricks to building a custom NVR? I'm used to gaming desktops, so I would guess reliability is more important than performance.

I'm going back forth trying to decide between a software solution or just going with a hardware NVR like a Dahua (Qsee) for a residential install (8 cams).

How do the software solutions compare when reviewing footage? From what I've read, it appears Avigilon offers the best package, but it sounds the most expensive. I'd appreciate a PM with Avigilon Core license pricing.

Are there any tricks to building a custom NVR? I'm used to gaming desktops, so I would guess reliability is more important than performance.

Where are u located ?

California

And another question, what limitations on fps do the software packages have, or is it based completely on the hardware? I always see the standard NVR spec at 120fps at 720p (or similar).

California

And another question, what limitations on fps do the software packages have, or is it based completely on the hardware? I always see the standard NVR spec at 120fps at 720p (or similar).

On Avigilon Spec servers you have a recommended limit of 250mbps

You can use that however you want.

19 Avigilon 5mp cameras in Jpeg 2000 @ 5ips is about 235mbps

What cameras do you have or plan on buying? If it's Dahua, not sure Avigilon software will work with it. Also, what's your budget as a Dahua NVR costs about $200 + hard drive, that will be hard to beat just buying a PC, let alone putting software on it.

Dedicated hardware will be more reliable, require less care and feeding (OS updates, maint and other issues), and use less power.

Dedicated hardware will be more reliable, require less care and feeding (OS updates, maint and other issues), and use less power.

Agree, and PC solutions are more flexible and upgradeable. My old dedicated boxes ran for years without any intervention at all, but I'm liking PC based systems these days, despite the OS update issues and security concerns.

Performance depends on the solution. I'm fond of Blue Iris as a low-cost solution, but it requires a fair bit of horsepower if you're going to be running more than 6-8MP total at 10 fps (2nd gen i5 or better). This is mostly CPU power with reasonably fast hard disks, and not so much video power as a gaming pc would require.

What cameras do you have or plan on buying? If it's Dahua, not sure Avigilon software will work with it. Also, what's your budget as a Dahua NVR costs about $200 + hard drive, that will be hard to beat just buying a PC, let alone putting software on it.

Hey there. Where exactly did you find a Dahua NVR for 200? I have several HDDs laying around so I was hoping to get an affordable NVR and Dahua has come on the radar several times, but I have not found any for less than 400-500.