CYANiDE

DVR System for Small Retail Stores

Hey All,

My father own several small retail locations. We would like to place some 4 or 8 camera DVRs and there are so many different options (from some Bosch 500GB units at about $500 for just the DVR, and some Sony cameras or something with decent quality 540TVL or above - looking at over 1200 per site). Our budget is around $1000 per site and a few requirements:

Looking for DVRs that will allow us to have at least one or 2 PTZ cameras under our control.

4-8 channels (no audio needed).

Will need 2-3 cameras per site that are both good in daytime and night time (when do I need IR illuminators?)

Access all locations via Internet for live viewing and controlling of PTZs.

Motion alarming (this is done on the DVR itself correct?)

Sorry for my noob questions.

I've read some okay stuff about Dahua, Zmodo, etc. I need something with decent RMA process or Tech Support if needed. Any recommended sites would be cool too.

Hi. Problem is your budget .......PTZs will take up your budget alone.

Okay, so let's remove the PTZ and just replace with additional cameras. What is a good DVR to use? So many options..

Too many issues and options to advise on. If you have 15 individuals advising on this or that, you will end up with 15 different thoughts. I would advise just to buy what you can afford for the features that you absolutely need. Just bought a new DVR for my home. Could have spent $800.00 for a top of the line DVR, but didn't need it. Bought a Zmodo for $125.00 and am totally happy with it. Does everything and more that I needed it to do. I am not advising that you buy a Zmodo, just an example.

Dennis

What minimum resolution should I be looking for? 480TVL, 600TVL more?

What are some reputable sites to get cameras and a DVR?

What are some reputable sites to get cameras and a DVR?

I need something with decent RMA process or Tech Support if needed. Any recommended sites would be cool too

*sigh*

People don't come to an international forum looking for local sources. They especially don't come here looking for recommendations about local installers if they are DIYers. Price balanced with quality plus the hope of a little help if things don't turn out perfectly.

Besides box stores, I know of three local places that deal with CCTV stuff. I've seen partial pricelists and I can buy cams/dvrs cheaper online than THEY pay from their suppliers. One is a parts-only industrial electronics shop and stocks mostly cables, baluns, connectors, and Galaxy cams. One is a computer place that does quality installs with name brand equipment but has very little stock for demos (only cheaper noname stuff kept in stock). The other is an alarm company that'll hang cams and run wires but doesn't demo and is incapable of inspiring confidence that their stuff is even half a notch above a box store special.

I can see why people go to the web for references about stuff that'll get shipped to their door and hopefully not leave them completely out in the cold. Too many middlemen in the local market for a customer to hope of getting a reasonable price on hardware that isn't on a Costco/Walmart shelf. The best hope for an installer seems to happen when a homeowner or small business DIYer screws up an install (equipment doesn't work, eventually dies, or can't ID what needs to be IDed) and calls a pro in desperation.

it's a little over budget, but it's possible to get into a dahua-made 4-camera high-def setup (four 1080p ip cameras and 16-channel nvr) for around $1500, all in (cables, switch, etc). that's where you ask yourself if it's worth spending a little more to get the higher resolution and (plenty of) future expandability.

i know dahua has a four-channel nvr with built-in poe switch coming out soon, that will simplify installation even further. no idea what the price point will be yet.

the nice thing with the dahua setup (and others, but this is what i'm familiar with), since you have multiple locations, is the ability to configure them all in the one remote client interface so you can easily view, search, and playback all cameras from all sites in one place.

the one thing missing is that we don't know where you are... so we can't suggest any local suppliers, or even online suppliers. if you're in the uk, there's no point suggesting any australian vendors, for example.

it's a little over budget, but it's possible to get into a dahua-made 4-camera high-def setup (four 1080p ip cameras and 16-channel nvr) for around $1500, all in (cables, switch, etc). that's where you ask yourself if it's worth spending a little more to get the higher resolution and (plenty of) future expandability.

i know dahua has a four-channel nvr with built-in poe switch coming out soon, that will simplify installation even further. no idea what the price point will be yet.

the nice thing with the dahua setup (and others, but this is what i'm familiar with), since you have multiple locations, is the ability to configure them all in the one remote client interface so you can easily view, search, and playback all cameras from all sites in one place.

the one thing missing is that we don't know where you are... so we can't suggest any local suppliers, or even online suppliers. if you're in the uk, there's no point suggesting any australian vendors, for example.

Good point. I'm located in New York USA. I know it seems difficult to get something with good tech support or decent returns because a lot of it is Chinese made products. It seems to get the best deal I will need to purchase it online.

Now, the issue I've heard with NVRs and IP cams is the fact that you need some decent bandwidth to run these at decent quality. The stores only have really basic cable connections (10mb down, 1mb up).

I'm looking into getting a rebranded dahua (GenIV Tech maybe?) -- is there a better place to get the rebranded dahuas from? Or a site most guys here prefer?

Also, I see a lot of guys like the CNB cams - is there a preferred site to get those as well? What about the baluns - preferred brands or anything off of Amazon?

Now, the issue I've heard with NVRs and IP cams is the fact that you need some decent bandwidth to run these at decent quality. The stores only have really basic cable connections (10mb down, 1mb up).

only relevant when it comes to remote viewing, and these systems can all use a 'substream' for the remote feed, which is lower quality at lower bandwidth. the nvr still records its local cameras at full quality, it just (optionally) uses the substream for the remote viewing.

What about the baluns - preferred brands or anything off of Amazon?

main thing is to make sure you're getting actual baluns, not just 'twisted pair to bnc adapters', which seems to be happening to a lot of people lately.

Edit:

Also, I see a lot of guys like the CNB cams - is there a preferred site to get those as well?

only *certain* cnb cams - the "mona lisa" series in particular, are great for low light. but these are analog cams; if you with an nvr system like suggested above, these won't work - you'd need either an analog system, or a hybrid to use them in conjunction with the ip cams.