rikky

GE CMOS Camera

Has anyone got information on practical results of the GE CMOS camera, which seems to be quite a revolution in CCTV world?

I can give the theory and background but not practical experience. New technology, the chipset is from a company called Pixim Inc. based in the USA. The technology is called the Digital Pixel System (DPS). It is (hopefully) one big advance for CCTV. The main advantage is the increased dynamic range. Each pixel has its own analogue to digital converter (ADC), conventional CCDs have one. DPS can read out any pixel independantly from the others. DPS reads out the pixels at 5 different exposures field. This greatly expands the dynamic range. After that it has a number of other advantages that come from it being a progressive scan imager. It isn't the be all and end all though (yet). It isn't as sensitive as a 1/2" exview. Put it in a room looking inside and out on a sunny day and nothing will hold a candle to it. It has a dynamic range well beyond any current wide dynamic camera.

There will be other manufacturers releasing cameras with this. JVC TKC-WD310, Baxall HyperD, GE and possibly two more.

Hi,

The camera is was thinking of is the GE Security Ultraview camera.

As stated above, technically, it should be a very good Wide Dynamic Range camera.

But untill now, no one could give me hands on experience with it.

its brand new, no pricing on it yet. I imagine it will be for sale after the show, along with other new CCTV products from GE.

2 other new products are the 15" LCD 500TVL Monitor, and a Day/Night Zoom Camera.

Trust me, once its released for sale ill have one here at my office

Rory

I've heard that the Ultraview won't have a backfocus ring on the camera.

Is this standard with any CMOS camera?

Does every camera has a backfocus ring?

What if it does not?

- a pitty i cant win a green card!

Data Sheet and Brochure on it should answer your questions.

[link removed by rory, reason dead link]

As for the back focus, not sure without trying one or emailing them, doesnt look so, but it has on screen settings, and also preset modes which is pretty cool. I've ordered one so should know by next week.

Edited by Guest

rory, you are in the wrong side of the business.

go ahead and work for GE as a international sales rep, I think that you would do pretty good.

rory, you are in the wrong side of the business.

go ahead and work for GE as a international sales rep, I think that you would do pretty good.

no thanks, because I sell Extreme CCTV also, but noone has asked any questions about them yet! ))

by the way I just ran over one their domes in my jeep, and it did not break, and we used a sledge hammer over and over, and nothing, but it did scrape! Well worth buying the housing even if only that, then you can add your own board camera.

I also sell Provideo and push them over Eclipse, Everfocus, or other cheapos. There is a need for different brands, there is basic, moderate, and high end, prices I mean!

Just had a quick look at a Ultraview demo.

Quite astonishing in backlight environment!

Has anyone else got any experience with this camera?

Please let us know.

Many thanks

I would like to hear about your test on this camera as well. Looks nice!

I thought I'd mention the JVC TK-WD310U camera. Awesome camera! Can handle any lighting condition but, not so sensitive (1.9lux).

I also use the Panasonic 474 cameras for tough lighting conditions but, if looking at an area with high activity (motion) the picture is horrible (i.e. smears). The camera cannot seem to handle all the changes in the scene.

This JVC camera, on the other hand, handles that problem flawlessly. And, it's not badly priced for this type of camera (around $400 from distribution).

ok, no prob, its on my list for demos for the new store im opening, soon.

Rory