CCTVDude

GeoVision w/ 2 Network Cards?

Has anyone sucessfully setup a GeoVision with 2 Network Cards. 1 for local traffic and one for Internet? Can the Geo handle 2 IP's???

sure, the Geo has nothing to do with your network structure, the box itself does with Windows. You just assign one NIC for the Geo to use for WAN/LAN remote applications.

Scottj

I should have been more clear:

I want the Geo itself (not just windows) to work w/ the 2 NIC cards and IP addresses, so if I'm accessing it locally I want to use 1 IP address and via the internet use the other IP address. Im want to do this to route local traffic through a different router then internet traffic.

just set up a different internal IP for each network card. In the 2 routers port forward to those IPs.

You would need 2 static IPs or 2 DDNS names, 1 for each router, port forward in each router, router 1 to IP 1, router 2 to IP 2, both using the same Ports.

That said, you will still have the same amount of traffic to the Geo System, it would be like having 2 connections is all.

For the local traffic dont even need a static IP, i dont think, maybe someone else can clarrify all this ..

just set up a different internal IP for each network card. In the 2 routers port forward to those IPs.

You would need 2 static IPs or 2 DDNS names, 1 for each router, port forward in each router, router 1 to IP 1, router 2 to IP 2, both using the same Ports.

That said, you will still have the same amount of traffic to the Geo System, it would be like having 2 connections is all.

For the local traffic dont even need a static IP, i dont think, maybe someone else can clarrify all this ..

I'm trying to get the Geo to respond on 2 different IP's via 2 different NIC's. The rest of it I got!

True it doesn't effect Geo processing, but it does allow you to balance your network and keep local users from bogging down the internet performance. I'm not trying to use it for this, but you could also potentially use it to combine bandwidth on 2 DSL lines...

And yes, since local traffic is direct, any IP address is basically static (as long as you don't have a DHCP server on the local network assigning the IP's; in which case it is basically the same as having a non static Internet address)

so whats the issue? Seems like you know how to do it ..
I can setup the network no problem, I just dont know how to tell the Geo to respond to either IP/NIC. In the Geo network setup, you have to choose 1 address/device to bind to. ?????

Okay yea just noticed that ..

cant you do it with 1 network card and 2 routers?

Then just let the routers control the bandwith, both routers would have the same settings, except one will come from the cable modem. and the other will be the local network. Then use a hub or switch for the DVR..?

Best wait for the network guys to jump in at this point . .

Why not just switch over to gigabit gear instead? If your local users can jam up that pipe I'd be impressed.

Why not just switch over to gigabit gear instead? If your local users can jam up that pipe I'd be impressed.
I'm trying to please one of those 'knows enough to be dangerous' customers. He used to own a PC shop that did office networks and thinks he has the soution for everything...

So I'm guesing it can't be done by multi-homing the Geo (2 NIC's). I will recommend one of the other solutions.

Thanks guys!

Honestly why is it an issue at all? I don't know Geovision but as long as 20 mb/s is left free how would the local view ever affect the remote?

I agree Thomas, the only need I see here is to keep a customer happy that claims he is an "expert". Every once in awhile you run into a person that just plain knows everything, even Moses couldn't come down from the sky and convince them otherwise.

I recommend you upsell him a bunch of equipment he doesn't need and just make him at peace with himself. If anything it will pad his ego as he will think "I told ya so" in his mind.

Scottj

The problem is that 3-4 of the big shots of the company want to monitor the system from different spots around the building for hours at a time. But when they do this + the normal traffic on the LAN it really bogs down their 100mb network even w/ a decent Cisco router. When this happens you see the effects th most online... Much slower...

This might be a feature to recommend for a future software release. To be able to bind to multiple IP/NIC's simultaneously.

ISC West dates were anounced for those that go. Apr 5-7. We usually go for a week. Work hard/play hard! Hope to meet some of you out there!

That makes it sound like a network bottleneck...and twelve NIC's won't help with that. Or does Geovision use that much bandwith?

No the Geo doesn't need that much bandwidth. It has built in simple bandwidth management, but if it is not used the system will try and own your network. We have never had an issue on a LAN, 100MB is a massive amount to share without any problem if it is configured with routers and switches that do not cause the congestion themselves.

CCTVDude, Have you tried setting a maximum bandwidth limit allowed per user in the Geo Web Server settings? If you leave it at default the system will just try and own any bandwidth you feed it. Give it a setting of 784K and then test it out. The individuals who wish to see the live video for hours at a time will not notice a difference in the quality, but you will see that the network is not burdend by the DVR any longer. Give it a try and give us some feedback and your opinion.

Scottj

That makes it sound like a network bottleneck...and twelve NIC's won't help with that. Or does Geovision use that much bandwith?
Exactly. It's a network bottleneck for sure.

So the idea was to split the networks in two (LAN & WAN) so no matter what happens on the LAN it can't effect the internet performance. Problem is the GEO has no way to deal w/ 2 IP's. I guess it was too much to ask...

I've setup networks this way a few times in the past for differing reasons and it works well. It's also an easy way to bridge 2 networks.

Thanks for the input though guys!

No the Geo doesn't need that much bandwidth. It has built in simple bandwidth management, but if it is not used the system will try and own your network. We have never had an issue on a LAN, 100MB is a massive amount to share without any problem if it is configured with routers and switches that do not cause the congestion themselves.

CCTVDude, Have you tried setting a maximum bandwidth limit allowed per user in the Geo Web Server settings? If you leave it at default the system will just try and own any bandwidth you feed it. Give it a setting of 784K and then test it out. The individuals who wish to see the live video for hours at a time will not notice a difference in the quality, but you will see that the network is not burdend by the DVR any longer. Give it a try and give us some feedback and your opinion.

Scottj

I will definately look into that, but remember that there are 3 or 4 useres at a time, so I would have to set it < 250K to still leave room for other traffic? The limitation might be noticable. And it still doesn't leave much room for other traffic.

I just don't see how you can be experiencing a bottleneck CCTVDude. We have a banking customer who uses a 16 channel real time machine at each one of their 9 locations. They have a ATM Fiber network set at OC-3 (155Mbps) from point to point, or location to location that they use for their private network between each branch. The IT Administrator set the DVR equipment up to only be allowed 6Mbps point to point. The Branch Manager at each office is able to view any of the facilities cameras remotely and localy on this network and they leave it up and running in their office generally al day long. Each facility is also linked to a CenterV2 server that is offsite and ALL the video feed is stored remotely in a secure data center facility for long term archiving.

The bottonline is that they are able to have multiple managers logged into the systems in addition to backhauling al the recorded video for remote storage across 6Mbps with no notice of degraded service for their banking operations. Even the IT person was surprised that in effect only about 4Mbps was needed to remotely transfer the video for storage. The additional allocated bandwidth for each point to point connection was allocated for the branch manger to have live feed pumped into their office so that the DVR could remain in their secure server room back through one of the vaults.

Scottj

The problem here is that the Geo was introduced to an already burdened network. The IT guy said it had periodic lag before we got there. But now with the DVR it's maxed out.

So I take it that the customer has multiple networks then in house?

Because if not, what good would adding an additional connection do? I may be a little confused on this, so bear with me as I am trying to visualize the installation in my head. It sounds to me though based on your last comment that the problem is not yours, rather it is the customers inferior or problematic network?

Scottj

So I take it that the customer has multiple networks then in house?

Because if not, what good would adding an additional connection do? I may be a little confused on this, so bear with me as I am trying to visualize the installation in my head. It sounds to me though based on your last comment that the problem is not yours, rather it is the customers inferior or problematic network?

Scottj

First off, the 'problem' is definately theirs. They aren't blaming us, we're just trying to help.

They only have 1 network right now, a typical 10/100 w/ a fractional T1 for the I-net. We were considering a second network w/ a dedicated line to the T1 w/o going through the router for the GEO's internet traffic. The multi homing would allow the GEO to respond on either network w/o the bandwidth bottleneck effecting the Internet traffic.

I can make a quick sketch if it's still confusing.

Move it to a second network, add NICs to the bosses machines and then pass back the port forwarding onto the second network for remote access. But how the hell are they flooding a lan connection?

Ok, I understand completely. If you use a Multi-Hominf router you can just add the second network to it and map the Geo exclusively to use that and stay off the other network that is lagging. That would be a simple and low cost fix for the issue, and still only requires a single NIC in the Geo unit.

Scottj

I will look into a multi-homed router. I haven't had a chance to play with one. Are they big $$$$$? Any specific model a good choice?

I might also suggest to them bitting the bullet and going to a Gig network as was previously mentioned. Especially since the Asus MB we use has an integrated Gig NIC.