Sign in to follow this  
Al Drake

Q-See 518 DVR login difficulties.

I tried searching here but I got nothing showing so if I did something wrong maybe someone can direct me to where I might find an answer. I just finished setting up and logging in to set the time and try to get familiar and everything went well until I tried to change the resolution. It seemed I was sucessful but somewhere in the process I was asked to login. I had never logged out but at the login window I tried to supply it with the correct name and password but it tells me it is not the right one. Can someone tell me where to go from here? I am afraid to logoff or shut down as I am not sure just what will happen next. Is there a way to simply reset to default even though I never changed it to anything other than the default name and PW?

Thanks to anyone that can offer me a fix.

Regards.

Al

I tried searching here but I got nothing showing so if I did something wrong maybe someone can direct me to where I might find an answer. I just finished setting up and logging in to set the time and try to get familiar and everything went well until I tried to change the resolution. It seemed I was sucessful but somewhere in the process I was asked to login. I had never logged out but at the login window I tried to supply it with the correct name and password but it tells me it is not the right one. Can someone tell me where to go from here? I am afraid to logoff or shut down as I am not sure just what will happen next. Is there a way to simply reset to default even though I never changed it to anything other than the default name and PW?

Thanks to anyone that can offer me a fix.

Regards.

Al

Ok, I am definately missing something here, besides a portion of my mind that is. I found some solutions but none work. One says to right click the mouse on a portion of the screen.

"STEP 1: On the channel display, right click and a small control bar will appear at

the bottom of the screen. Move the cursor to the “Menu” button and click it."

But this does not get me anywhere. No matter what I do all I can get is the login window and no matter what I try for a name and password it is not accepted. It seems I am locked out and can't figure out how to at east get back to where I was when I was able to do anything. Now I can't do anything PERIOD.

I am getting frazzled to say the least and simply can figure out what to do.

At the login screen, is your system ID all zeros? I believe it should be. I got locked out at first on my 408 when I changed this ID number, until I figured out that I shouldn't have- then I got back in. Also, have you changed the default PW? If you did you may have plugged in something other than what you wanted by mistake, in which case I wouldn't know what to tell you. On my 408, default settings is in the maintenance section of the menu, but if you can't do anything without being asked to login, that's a problem. Have you hit up support at q-see.com? Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope you get it sorted.

At the login screen, is your system ID all zeros? I believe it should be. I got locked out at first on my 408 when I changed this ID number, until I figured out that I shouldn't have- then I got back in. Also, have you changed the default PW? If you did you may have plugged in something other than what you wanted by mistake, in which case I wouldn't know what to tell you. On my 408, default settings is in the maintenance section of the menu, but if you can't do anything without being asked to login, that's a problem. Have you hit up support at q-see.com? Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope you get it sorted.

I just now decided I had no way out but to just turn off the power from the back. Something I wanted to do only as a last resort and it worked. I remember everything I did up to the time this "lockout" occurred and I tried to recreate the situation but it must have been a one-time glitch. I had read everything I found regarding password problems but found nothing like what I had. I started to get depressed when I read your solution about returning someone's unit so decided "what the heck!" So now I am a happy camper again. I viewed your videos again and can appreciate the work you went through to get where you are now. I like the way you deal with the spider webs. I have been fighting stalactites for the past few days created by water and temps in the low teens here in New Hampshire

My first thought was a reboot but I didn't want to suggest that unless you were at the end. Usually a reboot clears things. Hopefully this won't happen again. You should go to qsee and DL the latest firmware for your unit just to have it. Most times they recommend either reinstalling the firmware or installing the latest version. to clear glitches. Good luck with the weather- now it's your cameras that must hold up to what is thrown at them! And thanks for watching the vids. I'm just an amateur that did vids along the way, that's all. Good luck.

My first thought was a reboot but I didn't want to suggest that unless you were at the end. Usually a reboot clears things. Hopefully this won't happen again. You should go to qsee and DL the latest firmware for your unit just to have it. Most times they recommend either reinstalling the firmware or installing the latest version. to clear glitches. Good luck with the weather- now it's your cameras that must hold up to what is thrown at them! And thanks for watching the vids. I'm just an amateur that did vids along the way, that's all. Good luck.

I am used to working with computers. I had been considering a card for some time now but I had to know firsthand what having a DVR box was like. When I opened it up what I saw made me think of building a new system from scratch. I have been building computers for a hobby for some years now. They have handy options that I miss with this Q-See like cloning to a backup drive that can be swapped out in minutes and system restore and so on. The idea of what had just happened completely escaped me so I was caught unprepared. Thanks for the heads up on the firmware DL. I had no idea it could be installed over itself. The only FW I upgrade on my systems are the ones for my Crucial SSDs and as far as I remember it can only be done upward and not sideways. Is there a user forum for Q-See somewhere? I am wondering how you learned about their guidelines.

I have had these cameras last through several winters some being completely buried in snow, I have one mounted on my roof top, and a few encased in ice as there is no way to prevent this on the back of the building. I will soon be replacing a few and moving others so hopefully I can do a better job in placement.

Do you use any of the alarm features? I had been wondering about this when I see your driveway alert video. I have several inside the house to alert me of movement from within when I am home and don't have the inside cameras scheduled to detect movement and record.

I am trying to find others here that use wireless transmitters/receivers for anything. I have great luck with them allowing me to send a signal from this top floor connected to the video out to the kitchen in the front where I have a monitor on the counter allowing me to view all. I probably will add more to other places like my garage and basement but I still like your driveway motion detector.

What did you use to make your videos and add text? Nice job.

I use movie edit pro 17HD to do the vids. Great software and not expensive. As for alarms, I don't have any connected to the dvr as of yet. This spring I'll probably get to that.

I use movie edit pro 17HD to do the vids. Great software and not expensive. As for alarms, I don't have any connected to the dvr as of yet. This spring I'll probably get to that.

Great. I'll be looking forward to learning what you come up with.