Hitch

Would appreciate thoughts/comments on new cameras

Light performance will be worse (generally speaking) on a 5MP camera than a 3MP or 1.3MP camera. The primary reason you would spend the extra $$ on a P3367 is that you need to make facial identification from a further distance.

You can forget about more megapixels making license plate identification, you would actually be better off just getting a separate 1.3 MP camera and zooming it in with appropriate lighting for license plate detection (if that's what you want to do with the camera 4).

I'm a bit torn. Might put cam 4 at the door between 1 and 4 and cam 1 on the garage looking out. Either that or cam 4 in place of cam 1 but closer to the door so it can catch more of the driveway than cam 1 currently can and cam 1 in a different spot that is currently blind.

Thanks Kawboy!

My diagram is a bit misleading. The part of the house that is to the right of the garage is two stories high. Although the roof line from the left side (the garage side) starts at two stories, when it reaches the front of the garage it is only a single story high. As a result, the roof over the garage only obscures about 5 or 6 feet of the driveway in front of the garage.

I'l try to post of pic of what Cam1 shows.

You still haven't explained why you are after the higher resolution of a 5MP camera in that location, what is the extra resolution going to do for you?

You still haven't explained why you are after the higher resolution of a 5MP camera in that location, what is the extra resolution going to do for you?

Good question. That's part of what I am trying to figure out. My curiosity for the 5MP cam is largely based on what I have read on here. I've seen where some people are recommending 5MP for outside.

Here is what Cam1 (P3364-ve) shows on my screen here at work. For some reason, I get a larger field of view from home, but not a lot more.

Edited by Guest

You have a very large FOV for the front yard... so the main thing that 5MP would do for you is give you more detail at the further distances making vehicle/facial identification a bit easier.

Honestly though, I don't see that 3 or 5MP will be tremendously better than 1.3MP for your uses.

I tend to agree. I keep going back and forth on whether I should buy the P3364 or the P3367. Sometimes I think having one 5MP would be nice - just for the front yard. However, my mood on the topic tends to shift with the shifting price differential between the two.

I tend to agree. I keep going back and forth on whether I should buy the P3364 or the P3367. Sometimes I think having one 5MP would be nice - just for the front yard. However, my mood on the topic tends to shift with the shifting price differential between the two.

I'll put it to you this way. I have two Axis P3364 deployed, both in locations with very large FOV (one is in my front yard/drive-way area and the other is on the side of the house overlooking the side of the house and the street). The one thing that 3MP or 5MP would do for me is that if I needed to ID someone who was across the street (like someone walking along) then I would be able to do that. With the 1.3MP you could tell hair color, clothing, etc, but could not make facial identification good enough to stand up in a court of law.... 3MP or 5MP, in good daylight conditions would solve that.... however, what are the chances I need to make facial identification on someone across the street? Someone eggs my house or does a drive-by from 100 feet away? I am more interested in ID'ing someone who is on the property, and for that the 1.3MP can usually get the job done.

License plates however are a problem regardless of resolution... you really need a dedicated camera to get plate #s if that's your thing.

Would an Acti E73 work for you?

It's certainly an option. However, I am trying to just stay with one manufacturer. It may not be all that wise of a decision, but I think I am best off just learning how to use one manufacturer. If I had a professional installer, I probably wouldn't care as much.

voip-ninja, resolution is resolution, and you never know when you'll need it. If you don't have it, you don't have it. With the right camera you sacrifice nothing in low light. Sure alot of guys say why 5Mp when your TV is only 1080p; well, for digital zoom of course.

Hitch I just don't understand going with Axis when Avigilon is cheaper. If you want PM me, and I'll direct you.

voip-ninja, resolution is resolution, and you never know when you'll need it. With the right camera you sacrifice nothing in low light. Sure alot of guys say why 5Mp when your TV is only 1080p; well, for digital zoom of course.

Hitch I just don't understand going with Axis when Avigilon is cheaper. If you want PM me, and I'll direct you.

Generally speaking, the lower resolution cameras have traditionally offered better low light performance. Also, traditionally, Axis cams cost quite a bit less than Avigilon, especially if he doesn't want to spend the $$ on an Avigilon software license for his existing Axis setup.

Actually, comparing the prices I've seen for Axis, Avigilon is > $200 cheaper if you DIY.

And Avigilon is ONVIF, so any compatible software will work, including Exacq.

But Axis wants his money though. You have to pass a sniff test or something before Avigilon will take it. I'm sure the Avigilon problem varies by area but it is common for it to be unavailable even for homeowners with the desire and budget.

But Axis wants his money though. You have to pass a sniff test or something before Avigilon will take it. I'm sure the Avigilon problem varies by area but it is common for it to be unavailable even for homeowners with the desire and budget.

Well, I think a more accurate statement might be that Axis prices are readily available, and it's pretty easy to find genuine (new in box) Axis cameras that are heavily discounted. They are used in so many projects that there are always good deals to be had on eBay, etc, if you are patient.

Also, I don't know that Avigilon offers something like Axis Companion that makes managing cameras and edge recordings pretty easy without having to buy a DVR or software package.

voip-ninja, resolution is resolution, and you never know when you'll need it. With the right camera you sacrifice nothing in low light. Sure alot of guys say why 5Mp when your TV is only 1080p; well, for digital zoom of course.

Generally speaking, the lower resolution cameras have traditionally offered better low light performance. Also, traditionally, Axis cams cost quite a bit less than Avigilon, especially if he doesn't want to spend the $$ on an Avigilon software license for his existing Axis setup.

I originally chose Axis for various reasons, one of which was that I am using my Synology as my recorder. Synology has a list of compatible cameras and while Axis is on the list, Avigilon is not.

Since I decided to do the install myself, I tried to narrow down the possibilities that I would have problems. With how I am now using my Axis cameras (not through the Synology software, but just using the Synology as a storage location), I don't think it would matter if I had Axis or Avigilon. However, there are indications - unfortunately for a while now - that Synology will update their Surveillance Station software. If that happens, I am quite interested. I certainly like that it is an option.

So, in the end, I may have spent a few extra bucks on Axis, but I saved a lot by doing it myself, while trying to reduce the chances of headaches and/or failure. I posted in another thread about my parent's experience in having a system installed. They hired a guy who was in the business for about ten years. It didn't go well, and it was largely because of the guy that they hired. All of that was in the back of my head while planning this out.

I hope that make some sense.

Well, I think a more accurate statement might be that Axis prices are readily available, and it's pretty easy to find genuine (new in box) Axis cameras that are heavily discounted. They are used in so many projects that there are always good deals to be had on eBay, etc, if you are patient.

Also, I don't know that Avigilon offers something like Axis Companion that makes managing cameras and edge recordings pretty easy without having to buy a DVR or software package.

What if a fellow doesn't necessarily want used or heavily discounted new cameras and contacts Avigilon repeatedly to purchase software and a few pieces of hardware to add to an existing system and gets ignored (not turned down, ignored) after the size of the order is known?

There's no reason for Axis Camera Companion to not work in addition to Avigilon for use with the Axis cameras in the system. As far as I know though, Avigilon doesn't support Axis' edge storage at all. Or sound. Or have their own in-camera storage.

If your argument is that Avigilon is not well positioned for the small install DIY'er type, then yes I agree with you, it's not well positioned for that type of consumer, especially since you must engage an Avigilon partner in order to even get a price quote.

I'm fairly certain that you were the one who previously suggested that good deals can be found if you are patient. That's how I have picked up my cameras - watching prices go up and down and buying on the low side. The prices jump all over the place, even by the same seller(s) on Ebay, Amazon, etc. - by hundreds of dollars.

I ended up ordering a P3367-VE for $1,100. Probably won't have it until next week, so I'll install it the following weekend. My plan is to install it at the current location of Cam 1 (on the drawing). I'll move the current Cam 1 to Cam 4 and see how it works zoomed in closer to the front door. Depending on how that works, I may move it again to the backyard and buy a 12mm for the front door. That said, I really hope that I can leave the mounting bracket in place and just move the rest of the camera/dome.

I believe the housings and domes are universal in the same series, so I imagine you can remove the current camera unit and simply replace it with the cam unit in the new one you are getting... then install the new camera housing with the older camera unit at the new location.

I believe the housings and domes are universal in the same series, so I imagine you can remove the current camera unit and simply replace it with the cam unit in the new one you are getting... then install the new camera housing with the older camera unit at the new location.

That would be fantastic!

I ended up ordering a P3367-VE for $1,100. Probably won't have it until next week, so I'll install it the following weekend. My plan is to install it at the current location of Cam 1 (on the drawing). I'll move the current Cam 1 to Cam 4 and see how it works zoomed in closer to the front door. Depending on how that works, I may move it again to the backyard and buy a 12mm for the front door.

Much to my surprise, the camera arrived yesterday afternoon. Shipping was $10 and I received it the next day. Pretty nice! I'll try to get it installed this weekend.

To update the above, I was able to switch out the camera portion of the P3364 for the P3367. The initial mount and the bracket which holds the camera were left in place. The dome for the P3367 is slightly larger, so I swapped that and the actual camera.