Hitch

Would appreciate thoughts/comments on new cameras

That's the position I am in. I am a little concerned that the seller told Amazon that it was shipped a week before the shipping company says it was shipped. Hopefully it arrives in new/working order. The price was certainly right.

I'm not sure how old you guys are, but I couldn't help but think of "Oregon Trail" when typing my post above. I think it was the first PC game I ever played - in the mid 1980's.

Amazon UK back in December

after seeing a report on amazon its not hard to understand why products are late or slow ........ there is no such company as amazon uk. its only a web address they own.

most goods from UK are shiped direct from outside of uk to avoid tax

same with america 90 billion and little taxes

Amazon quietly started charging sales tax in California this month, so now that gives an edge to smaller e-tailers or eBay that don't charge sales tax.

Amazon UK back in December

after seeing a report on amazon its not hard to understand why products are late or slow ........ there is no such company as amazon uk. its only a web address they own.

most goods from UK are shiped direct from outside of uk to avoid tax

same with america 90 billion and little taxes

You are probably right... the item shipped out of Germany via some kind of "DHL international post" operation.

Nonetheless it was shocking to see a six week delivery time for any item, media mail or not. I order things via China all the time that arrive via air mail within 1-2 weeks and shipping is typically just a few dollars.

Still waiting for it to arrive. I appears to have been sent via stage coach. At last report, the decision was made to circle the wagons at about the Mississippi.

I can sympathize. I ordered a box set of Blu-rays from Amazon UK back in December (before Christmas) and they are expected to be delivered January 24th. Apparently delivery by steam trawler is still an option.

maybe they're using carrier swallows. european, of course, as the african swallow's not migratory. and the cameras would have to weigh less than a coconut.

Still waiting for it to arrive. I appears to have been sent via stage coach. At last report, the decision was made to circle the wagons at about the Mississippi.

I can sympathize. I ordered a box set of Blu-rays from Amazon UK back in December (before Christmas) and they are expected to be delivered January 24th. Apparently delivery by steam trawler is still an option.

maybe they're using carrier swallows. european, of course, as the african swallow's not migratory. and the cameras would have to weigh less than a coconut.

I'm suddently thrilled with my stagecoach carrier.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail! I love that movie!

Well, late Monday I checked the tracking information and was pleased to see an expected delivery date of the 15th (yesterday). That date came and went without a package. I checked the site again this morning and the package is still shown to be at the same location as Monday. I decided to call.

I was told that the update scans are not required to be done. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. I don't know what information they are relying on, but I was assured that the package is moving along. They told me to call back next week - they won't do anything until then.

Maybe I'll go rent Monty Python. In the meantime, I am now realizing how much I appreciate Amazon's (corporate) shipping speed.

I feel your pain, nothing worse than buying a new toy and having a long wait before you can play with it.

However, seeing as it took 11 weeks for the car I ordered to show up (from Germany) and the Mac I just ordered won't even be built for another 3-4 weeks, I'd say that waiting a few weeks for a IP cam is pretty small potatoes!

A man with lots to eat has many problems. A man with nothing to eat has only one problem.

give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. teach a man to fish, he will never go hungry.

personally, i prefer this version:

build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

personally, i prefer this version:

build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Continuing on with the Python theme, are there some who call you... Tim?

Well, had a bit of a scare last night. Was in bed trying to fall asleep when the dog starts to bark (unfortunately, we didn't hear her bark the night that the neighbor's house was broken into). Anyway, I'm half out of it when I recall that incident. Now, I'm wide awake. Then I hear something bang rather loudly against the house. Time to get out of bed.

Got downstairs and immediately notice the flood lights (with motion sensors) have turned on. The dog is fired up, barking, her hair is standing straight up and she wants to get outside. Checked the house, went back to bad and fell asleep a while later. Tired today.

Meanwhile, my IP camera is now spending its fourth full day at a sort facility. Seriously considering ordering my next couple sooner than anticipated and from someone with faster shipping.

Although I own guns, none are currently in the house. However, if anyone did come in the house, I figured I could "fart in their general direction."

I could use some help regarding a camera for the rear of my house. I would certainly want to stay with Axis and would probably get the P3364-VE. For the front of my house, I bought the 6mm. For the back, I am wondering if I should get the 6mm or the 12mm. I tried to use the program on Axis, but, frankly, I found it a bit confusing. I found some other pictures on the web which show the difference. As a result, I think I would also get the 6mm for the rear of the house.

The back yard is not very large. Because of the layout of the house, the camera would be mounted under the soffit of the roof above the second floor. It will be almost directly over a door that I would like to be within the camera's view. From the back of the house, it would only need to go out about 30 feet. From left to right, it would only need to cover about 30 feet, as well.

Any thoughts/suggestions on whether I go with the 6mm or the 12mm?

You almost never want 12mm unless you are mounting the camera a distance off and want a good shot of a doorway that is quite a ways away.

For just about any residential type application you would want the 6mm lens.

The 6mm will do a 105 degree FOV. The 12mm will do 82 degrees at its widest. I'd go out back with a 90 degree right angled object (carpentry square, or book, or whatever you've got) and sight down the 90 degree angle and pretend whatever is inside it is my FOV for the camera. If you think you need a bit more than 90 then go with the 6mm. If you've got everything more than covered with the 90 degrees then consider the 12 if you want really narrow field of view but more detail at the back of the yard but give up most of the house coverage. I suspect that with one camera covering your whole backyard then you'll want the 6 though. For more detail at a distance with the wide field of view then you'd need more megapixels than any of the 3364s will give you rather than the higher "zoom" of the 12.

I think most people would get the 12mm, don't know why the 6mm unless you are in a small tight area. The 6mm option gives you a varifocal lens from 2.6-6mm and the 12mm option give you 3.3mm-12mm varifocal. The varifocal on these cameras is motorized, so you can set it from the comfort of your PC as well as setting focus.

199333_1.jpg

Here my lay out would ya recommend for da front Axis p3346-VE 3mp or p3367-VE 5mp? There is street light right next to driveway.

The back of house is basically dark unless neighbors lights on or full moon. Was hoping to use p3364-LVE but when the hell will it ever be aval?

Would yall recomend 6 or 12 mm for my needs?

Any input welcome. Thx in advance

Also thx buellwinkle for all your advice and patience!

I think most people would get the 12mm, don't know why the 6mm unless you are in a small tight area. The 6mm option gives you a varifocal lens from 2.6-6mm and the 12mm option give you 3.3mm-12mm varifocal. The varifocal on these cameras is motorized, so you can set it from the comfort of your PC as well as setting focus.

Thanks, all, for the help/comments/post. Much appreciated!

These are excellent points and something that I, unfortunately, missed during my research. Big miss. I bought a 6mm for the front yard. Upon further review, put another way from the quoted post, the 6mm runs from 105° to 49°. The 12mm runs 82° to 24°. I didn't understand that difference....my fault.

What I am confused about - still - is the practical difference of the two. Although both operate across a fairly broad range, the range of the 6mm is much more broad, isn't it? The 6mm covers wider area, correct? I don't understand why I would want the 6mm for a small tight area. Wouldn't the 12mm operate within a smaller area? Or, more zoomed in?

Thanks, again, all!

The 6mm will do a 105 degree FOV. The 12mm will do 82 degrees at its widest.

what size sensor are you calculating for, aps-c?? on a 1/3" sensor (which i believe that axis uses), 6mm will give you 43 degrees horizontal; 12mm gives you 22 degrees.

The 6mm option gives you a varifocal lens from 2.6-6mm and the 12mm option give you 3.3mm-12mm varifocal. The varifocal on these cameras is motorized, so you can set it from the comfort of your PC as well as setting focus.

keeping in mind that you probably won't be changing the focal length much once it's installed - you can't move the camera remotely so you can only ever zoom in on the center of the frame.

What I am confused about - still - is the practical difference of the two. Although both operate across a fairly broad range, the range of the 6mm is much more broad, isn't it? The 6mm covers wider area, correct? I don't understand why I would want the 6mm for a small tight area. Wouldn't the 12mm operate within a smaller area? Or, more zoomed in?

the *range* is broader... but the 6mm model will go wider overall. at its 2.5mm end, it will give you an 85-degree horizontal fov; at its widest of 3.3mm, the 12 will only give you around 70 degrees.

in other words, don't worry about the range the lens is capable of... worry about the area you need to cover and the lens required for that. looking at your drawings for cameras 2-4, you could use either because you need to cover a fairly narrow angle. camera 1 is showing close to a 90-degree coverage angle though, so you'd definitely want the wider lens. don't worry about the tight end of the range (6 or 12), you're not likely to go anywhere near it in these applications.

as for the front of the house with the streetlight, i'd prefer the p3384-ve - it's wdr and supports 'lightfinder'. it's only 1.2mp, but it will handle the lighting a lot better.