swindandy

Residential CCTV and youtube

Hi, I am having chronic problems with my neighbours. Due to this i have installed CCTV, front and back of my small terraced house that is directly onto the street (no front garden). To cut a long story short, they are at least as bad as those that make it on to TV programmes. Their housing association has issued them with a notice of eviction if they do not comply to set conditions. This was four weeks ago and the police have been there around six times since then, even on Xmas day. He is on a tag and awaiting prison.

I went to put my bin out tonight and found my gate nearly smashed through/halved. I went back, looked through my CCTV footage and found that 3/4 guys had tried to kick my gate in and come in my house and give me a kicking. Luckily my gate is strong due to owning a motorbike, that i will now have to hide at a friends house. The problem is that it was dark and they where behind the gate in the entry so not visible, but they do not know that i have audio. I could clearly hear them planning and speaking (i recognise the voices) the gate wouldn't break and they where coming back later for me they said (drunk/high/loud). they where even hard faced enough to walk straight round to the front of my house and knock on next door, on the front camera.

My problem is that i want to put the footage i have of antisocial behaviour and put it on youtube for all to see and maybe that will make them socially conform (peer pressure) till/if they are evicted. For the record, they want to give me a kicking because they know i am the main complaint against them to the housing authority.

This is all very stress full and 3 neighbours have moved since they moved in, but we own our house and cant afford to move. I am on anti depressants due to this and i am not the type of person who gets depressed. My partner worries about going to the shop alone and we are not getting much sleep. (parties till 6am). I know i might get advice on how to deal with these people but my main concern is getting an answer to the youtube question, as i don't want to break the law. I believe that if some body misbehaves in the public street then i can film them and do what i like with that footage? i may be wrong and that is the reason i am here to find out for sure. They already called the police when i put it up and they came out and asked me where it was pointing. it points directly at the pavement in front of their door, because that is where all the anti social stuff is happening, anyway after the police went away and checked what law i explained to them as i understood it they said everything was OK but if things get worse it could be construed as harassment. Its me who is being harassed.

All i want to know really is,

1: can i put this footage of antisocial behaviour only on youtube and not just footage of everyday life (just from the front camera/public highway)

2: can i make mocking comments on who i think they look like in the video description.

3: Can some one guarantee that i am breaking no laws if this is possible.

I need them to move and its the only thing i can think of, they try to look respectable to some people (usually the authorities) so if people they know see what dirt bags they are and maybe even if they see it them selves they might realise. As it is at the moment, i am expecting a group of fellows round any time now, but equipped to get in this time, they said they where coming back. yes i am calling the police tomorrow, but it has taken me 7 hours just to find the footage because it was only audio i could look for, the gate being kicked. I am shattered and need to go to bed, will add more if i need to.

If you read this and know the answer and don't have time to reply a simple yes or no would be appreciated just to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Where are you located? Laws are different everywhere. I would advise that if you want to avoid getting stomped even worse later on, putting mocking videos of them on YouTube isn't a good way to go about it. You might need to have CCTV warning signs up to avoid legal problems even if you don't post defamatory comments in with the video.

Offsite evidence might be a good idea. If you've got good pictures or videos of them, mail them to your friends and tell them why.

I'd be sleeping with a loaded shotgun beside me. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I hope you live in Texas. Good luck.

99% your in UK

Not a good idea to post any footage on internet, you need the Police and Local Authority to sort this out once and for all, every time theres a part get on to local council enforcement office they are meant to be on call 24/7 then ring the Police

Its disgraceful in this day and age people cant live in their own homes in peace

I hope you get sorted mate

Hi and thanks, yes i am in the uk, signs notices and regs only seem to apply to corperate/council cctv and not private cctv as yet, though this is under review. i just wondered if anyone knew the law in detail. i am in contact with the authorities, but just wanted to know if i would be breaking the law.

I'd be sleeping with a loaded shotgun beside me. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I hope you live in Texas. Good luck.

Ditto on the shotgun but I'm guessing he's in the UK. I'd keep recording and when you don't feel safe, call the police, everytime.

Regardless of the laws on posting cctv footage where you are, slander and libel are illegal just about everywhere. I'm not in the UK and I'm not a legal expert, but at minimum I wouldn't post anything other than "here is my neighbour breaking down my gate". If he protests it, at the very least it would be an admission of guilt if you didn't get an excellent face shot. He doesn't sound like the kind of fellow to get a lawyer for civil charges, but if he complains to the police they might be forced to do something on their own.

Someone from the UK I'm sure will chime in on whether or not you'd be breaking any privacy laws. I'd also make sure that your house was well covered with cameras. If he sees that you've just got a couple, he might be smart enough to come in from the side or back. Or wear a mask. Or disable the cameras first.

And I was serious about the shotgun thing. If someone breaks into my house after announcing ahead of time that they're going to hurt me and my family they're going to get greeted inhospitably. I'll worry about the courts later for that kind of threat. You ARE allowed to hunt and buy shotguns there, right?

Hi, and thank again. Yes i really need someone from UK to chime in. As far as i understand it if i stick to explaining what is happening (the facts) no names etc, that is for someone to comment on if they recognize any of them. I don't want to slander anyone defame anyone, but as long as i just post the truth, then this should be legal?

I am talking about videos of them arguing in the street at 4.30 am, booting their own front door in at 3.30am, drunken arguing and fighting at all hours. not deformation, this is what they do on the public highway outside my house.

As for guns in UK, yes you can own them, but need firearms certificate/police check/secure storage,sep ammo/and permission to use it on someones land, very hard to get.or gun club member. For shotguns its a lesser cert but you need secure storage/police check.

I had a shotgun when i lived in Scotland but could not get renewal when ran out due to living in caravan/trailer.

I just thought someone on here would know the answer, but the UK is a small country. As far as i know, i can do this, but just want to be certain i don't break any laws.

If nobody knows here where would be the best place to find out. Cheers.

I'd ask either the local police or local cctv retailers/installers. Don't settle for one opinion, ask around and see who you believe if you get a number of opinions. Find a barrister if the opinion is worth the money to you.

you need to ask the citizens advice bureau, if thats still around, they normally have free legal advice.

isnt there those tv programs that you could send the footage off to and make some money on the side?

I would move asap because even if they move they still know where you live,

Is it still legal to own a air rifle in the UK? you can modify the pre-charged ones to put out alot of energy these days, not that im advocating anything.

I live in a little sleepy city with some of the toughest gun controls in the world, and yet where i was renting last year, within 100 metres and between a few months i had a drive by shooting and a big fight between bogan/redneck/chav neighbours where one guy came out with a shotgun and started firing it.

needless to say, im not living there.

Hi. No dont do the youtube video. just hand it over to the police .....

I could clearly hear them planning and speaking (i recognise the voices) the gate wouldn't break and they where coming back later for me they said (drunk/high/loud).

if this is on your recordings then police and local council will have them removed

You could try the Neighbours From Hell forum.

http://www.nfh.org.uk/

I would strongly advise against publishing your recordings in any way. It could jeopardise a future prosecution and in any neighbour dispute you want to ensure that you appear as the aggrieved innocent party.

I just thought someone on here would know the answer, but the UK is a small country. As far as i know, i can do this, but just want to be certain i don't break any laws.

If nobody knows here where would be the best place to find out. Cheers.

I can see it now: "But, but, your honor, someone on the Internet said it was legal."

In my opinion, the best place to find out is by asking a lawyer.

Just wanted to chime in and tell you that with the situations at this level where their is a good chance he's going to try and break in you need to make

sure you have other forms of security.

Your Doors, Please look into Strike plates. Being the most common entry way, it's vital to reinforce this entry point.

They make larger than normal strike plates.

See Below.

Normal strike plate.

209333_1.jpg

Under $5 -Extended strike plate - Increasing the amount of surface area the plate has to transfer energy making it harder to kick the door in.

209333_2.jpg

Personally... With your position I would go bigger and get a full door strike plate. Making it almost impossible to break the door frame apart... aka getting inside

Their like $70 US