t84a

Network Video Recorders

With the budget you have there just isn't much out there. The best you are going to do is getting something like a "ready to go" NVR + camera package from Costco, but you will be getting fairly low end cameras, and a low end DVR. Support if there are issues will be extremely limited.

I was trying to point out to you that you can go with cameras that do edge recording to SD card storage and this eliminates the need for an NVR. You just run a companion app on that PC and you can live-view the cameras or view the recordings.... no NVR required.

Do you really think that it matters for a restaurant to spend 10 minutes searching for a recording vs it being done in 10 seconds?

for a restautant yes it is important (very) if a table has not paid or staff not shure ........10 mins there gone

Axis camera station is free for a reason... It's SLOW searching video.

Do you really think that it matters for a restaurant to spend 10 minutes searching for a recording vs it being done in 10 seconds?

I agree with what someone else said that they should have a live view monitor, but it did not sound like the OP had enough room for any additional hardware.

The speed at which you can search and export video is extremely important and overlooked most of the time. Most of the time you don't know exactly what your looking for so looking for a simple event can take hours even with small 4 camera systems.

for a restautant yes it is important (very) if a table has not paid or staff not shure ........10 mins there gone

Well now you are talking about live view, before you were talking about how long it takes to search recordings with Axis Companion vs a dedicated recorder.

I agree with you that for a restaurant or retail shop, live view is best as it lets the employees keep an eye on things... on the other hand, in a busy restaurant there is normally no one with enough time to sit there looking at a DVR feed.

Axis camera station is free for a reason... It's SLOW searching video.

I agree with what someone else said that they should have a live view monitor, but it did not sound like the OP had enough room for any additional hardware.

The speed at which you can search and export video is extremely important and overlooked most of the time. Most of the time you don't know exactly what your looking for so looking for a simple event can take hours even with small 4 camera systems.

Okay, so for his $2000 max budget, and assuming four cameras, propose something better than Axis with edge recording. This isn't one of the many who come trawling through here asking for amazing $50 cameras... he has a "real" budget that would be typical for a very small business.... even if it's on the low side. So propose something else that fits in his budget vs spending all the time shooting down other peoples ideas.

I was trying to point out to you that you can go with cameras that do edge recording to SD card storage and this eliminates the need for an NVR. You just run a companion app on that PC and you can live-view the cameras or view the recordings.... no NVR required.

very bad idea....... this is not saving money its a risk.....and can be expensive to installer.

using POS system and loading software onto it can and will have problems

very bad idea....... this is not saving money its a risk.....and can be expensive to installer.

using POS system and loading software onto it can and will have problems

Thousands of business run Axis edge this way, so I think you are over-stating your case.

Yes, a standalone or dedicated display for CCTV is superior to browsing to a video feed with the Point of Sale computer but that's what he's going to have to do with his budget.

Maybe you should have a conf-call with his customer and make your case that they should spend more on the solution.

Well now you are talking about live view, before you were talking about how long it takes to search recordings with Axis Companion vs a dedicated recorder.

I agree with you that for a restaurant or retail shop, live view is best as it lets the employees keep an eye on things... on the other hand, in a busy restaurant there is normally no one with enough time to sit there looking at a DVR feed.

no am not talking live view............ say a table get ready to leave and the staff dont know who they payed or if they did pay .........you need quick play back to check

no am not talking live view............ say a table get ready to leave and the staff dont know who they payed or if they did pay .........you need quick play back to check

OK, maybe... assuming a tiny restaurant where things are slow enough that the staff can do this. Certainly not any restaurant I have ever been to... the servers are too busy busting their asses taking care of the 10-12 tables they are covering to sit there and check a CCTV feed, not to mention I would not want my employees to have access to it (learn where blind spots are, use it to check up on other employees and play tattle tale, etc).

As a manager I also probably don't have time to do this.

What's a more likely scenario is that a server reports that someone didn't pay for their meal, you pull up the recorded video to see the transgression happen and prove that someone didn't steal cash from the table, etc, and then you can report it to the police, and/or ban them from ever visiting your place again.

Yes, a standalone or dedicated display for CCTV is superior to browsing to a video feed with the Point of Sale computer but that's what he's going to have to do with his budget.

Maybe you should have a conf-call with his customer and make your case that they should spend more on the solution.

why his budgets fine........

The PC is a regular desktop PC that is used as an admin PC and for POS reporting. It will have no problem supporting any cctv software. There will be no cameras looking for people walking out on the checks.

The PC is a regular desktop PC that is used as an admin PC and for POS reporting. It will have no problem supporting any cctv software. There will be no cameras looking for people walking out on the checks.

hi so your talking back office system (pos reporting PC) then the likes of BI will slow it down and also if it is used as admin pc its not good to have it as a security unit.

how many cameras are you looking for ??

hi so your talking back office system (pos reporting PC) then the likes of BI will slow it down and also if it is used as admin pc its not good to have it as a security unit.

how many cameras are you looking for ??

Thats why I want a NVR. probably 4 to start with growth to maybe 8 max-primarily in the kitchen and bar areas.

So is the Dahua stuff junk?

no not junk but limited and budget system ............. problem with dahua over the past few months (USA side) is it is very very over priced.

buy a good nvr with no limits and supports 1000s more cameras than dahua can be found.................. this then lets you update as MP cameras come cheaper for 3 or 5 mp

we sell dahua and have done for years .....but we would not use in a buisness install.

dahua now have a free cloud storage which usa sellers dont or cant pass onto customers.

your budget is good and axis cameras are a good (axis have some good cameras comming out this month)

You best bet with the budget is ACTi. Their new indoor domes are priced well under $200 the D51. They also have an active offer with the NVR also priced low. Can probably do it for $1,500-2,000.

Dahua cameras are good, they are just not supported well in the U.S. You can get Dahua sold as Q-See in the U.S. from respected distributor Ingram Micro with a U.S. warranty if you are a reseller/installer.