Sign in to follow this  
Done11

Halogen lights vs 32" monitor

The monitor is located 700" away from the DVR in a guard tower. I'm using the BNC output of the DVR. I ran RG59. Part of the run is on top of a metal building with two large halogen lights mounted on top lighting up the parking lot. When the lights are off the picture is perfect but when the lights are turned on the picture starts to shake in a wavy pattern then scrolls downward then goes back to perfect it repeats this sequence till the lights are turned off.

At two points in the run I had to use a BNC to BNC connector.

Not sure if it's RFI or electrical induction, etc???

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this problem?

The monitor is located 700" away from the DVR in a guard tower. I'm using the BNC output of the DVR. I ran RG59. Part of the run is on top of a metal building with two large halogen lights mounted on top lighting up the parking lot. When the lights are off the picture is perfect but when the lights are turned on the picture starts to shake in a wavy pattern then scrolls downward then goes back to perfect it repeats this sequence till the lights are turned off.

At two points in the run I had to use a BNC to BNC connector.

Not sure if it's RFI or electrical induction, etc???

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this problem?

how close is the rg59 to the mains

At two points in the run the RG59 passes over the emt that supplies the lights. Then it runs about a foot away from the emt down the wall.

If your referring to the mains that supply power to the electrical panel for the building it's not close to it at all.

is the mains supply single phase (230v) or three phase (415v)

The breaker for the lights is on a single phase sub panel. There is a three phase main. They are both in the same building as the wire run.

700 ft (over 200m) without a booster with rg59

The first thing i did was add a booster. I put it at the DVR then at the monitor and in the middle of the run. Didn't work. I even ran a test cable through the warehouse instead of on the roof so the cable wasn't touching the building or near the lights. That didn't work. The picture is great during the day or night as long as the lights are not turned on.

You should ALWAYS insulate you BNC/BNC connectors from ANY metalwork. Even it the metalwork is not earthed it can act as a pretty good antenna for all sorts of RF noise.

All three buildings on this side of the plant are metal. All the lights are mounted to metal poles and the poles are mounted directly to the metal building. I'm guessing this is causing all the problems. I'm ready to just run a catv and put a computer in the guard tower and have them use the CMS software to see the cameras. I really would like to solve this problem but I'm running out if options.

pull a length of utp (cat5e, or even cat3 will do), then put baluns on both ends (*real* baluns, not the crappy ebay utp-to-coax adapters so many people seem to end up with). the twisted pair has noise-rejection properties of its own, and the balanced line created by the baluns adds another level of noise rejection to that.

I was thinking I would run rg6 but since you suggested cat5 I will run cat5 also to see if either one would solve my problem. Thanks for the reply.

Why do you think RG6 will solve your problem , it may make it worse. I would suggest you read up on RG6 vs RG59 particularly with regards to shielding capabilities.

I want to thank all you guys for replying with suggestions. After trouble shooting this problem for two weeks and trying all the suggestions. I decided to try a ground loop isolator. Even though some people said they don't work and some say they do. Well.......it WORKED!!!!! This little $15.00 (US) part solved the problem.

389571864_Bncgroundloopisolator.jpg.21b70e0959a8f74c392d3c085bb7103c.jpg

I want to thank all you guys for replying with suggestions. After trouble shooting this problem for two weeks and trying all the suggestions. I decided to try a ground loop isolator. Even though some people said they don't work and some say they do. Well.......it WORKED!!!!! This little $15.00 (US) part solved the problem.

I'm was right