iwatchlive

24 volt vs. 12 volt

I know it seems like a dumb thread, but I wanted to begin talking about the differences and experiences with using both.

I have to do a hugh 100,000 square foot warehouse the customer already ordered 24 volt cameras. I needed to use cat5 and baluns, but ware scared to use 24 volt over cat5 due to past nightmare with 60Hz lines everywhere!

Any help?

24vac is better on longer runs, beyond 200ft. Beyond 500ft I'd go with 28vac to make up for the drop.

Active Baluns work best. Any noise on the video can be blocked via a ground loop isolator.

Observe the "line seperation" rule and you won't get noise. seperation of 1ft. along side or 6 inches on a cross

Bottom Line; buy great baluns and you won't have a prob with noise. Buy $20 specials and you'll get a $20 pic. Do go cheap, invest.

If 24VAC runs cooler, is better for long wire runs and is less prone to surge damage, then is there any situation where you would choose to use 12VDC? Are there any advantages of using 12VDC over 24VAC?

12VDC is beneficial for battery powered situations such as Mobile Surveillance

My dual power supply (12VDC/24 VAC Altronix #ALTV1224C) is producing 29 volts AC at the panel. 18 AWG wire runs are about 80 feet. Voltage drop is not much. Cameras are getting 28+ volts. The Sony SSC-E473 specifications read +-10% on 24 volts AC. Will running them at 28+VAC cause problems? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks

ZK

Do you have a link to the camera spec sheet?

Most will say whether it can take 28vac .. for example they may say 18-30VAC ...

If it only can accept 24VAC then 28VAC may eventually fry the camera.

Rory

I have been out for a while, as I became a father about a month ago. I wanted to thank everyone for there replies and thoughts on my question.

I look forward to many sleepless nights and posting on here again!

Sony tech support said the cameras' upper voltage range was 29 VAC and it should work fine.

ZK/Zark

Good to know. Would like to hear back from you 3 months from now just to make sure all is ok. Just out of curiosity.