Al Drake

Sata 2 or Sata 3 HDD for my Q-See?

Can anyone tell me if the Q-See DVR (518) uses Sata 2 or Sata 3? I installed a Sata III 3 TB Seagate that refuses to format so this time I would like some ideas of a large HDD that will be sure to work. Can others tell me which ones they use successfully?

Thanks for any replies.

Al

Can anyone tell me if the Q-See DVR (518) uses Sata 2 or Sata 3? I installed a Sata III 3 TB Seagate that refuses to format so this time I would like some ideas of a large HDD that will be sure to work. Can others tell me which ones they use successfully?

Thanks for any replies.

Al

The issue *could* be related to size. For example, some devices will only work with drives up to 2TB.

Best,

Christopher

Thanks for any replies.

Al

The issue *could* be related to size. For example, some devices will only work with drives up to 2TB.

Best,

Christopher

I can't find anything about limits on size and anything about Sata II or III. I would think there aren't any DVR boards used that are capable of Sata III yet. I kn ow Windows has a hard time with the larger HDDs but from what I understand these DVRs run on Linux.

I can't find anything about limits on size and anything about Sata II or III. I would think there aren't any DVR boards used that are capable of Sata III yet. I kn ow Windows has a hard time with the larger HDDs but from what I understand these DVRs run on Linux.

I have a Linux based RAID storage that is limited to 2 TB drives. SATA III should be compatible with a SATA II port. I don't know why your drive will not format, but my initial guess would be the size of the drive and not the SATA III.

Best,

Christopher

I have a Linux based RAID storage that is limited to 2 TB drives. SATA III should be compatible with a SATA II port. I don't know why your drive will not format, but my initial guess would be the size of the drive and not the SATA III.

Best,

Christopher

I figured the Sata drives were downward compatable but wondered if any DVR would support the speed of the Sata III. I guess not.

Thanks for the help.

From the q-see specs- Supports 3 SATA HDD up to 6 TB

That would indicate it supports 2TB HD's, up to three of them.

OK, thanks Shockwave. I guess it doesn't matter what make. It seems I usually end up with Seagate which is what I will go with in this case.

Regards.

Al

I figured the Sata drives were downward compatable but wondered if any DVR would support the speed of the Sata III. I guess not.

How many cameras are you planning to attach to your Q-See?

Best,

Christopher

How many cameras are you planning to attach to your Q-See?

Best,

Christopher

I have 8 now and will be upgrading them all as time goes on. Eventually I hope to have the best that this DVR will support. I will be adding as much storage as possible as soon as I figure out which are the best and fastest drives.

I have 8 now and will be upgrading them all as time goes on. Eventually I hope to have the best that this DVR will support. I will be adding as much storage as possible as soon as I figure out which are the best and fastest drives.

SATA II will be fine with 8 cameras.

Best,

Christopher

SATA II will be fine with 8 cameras.

Best,

Christopher

I ordered a 2TB drive and it seems most advertised are SATA III. Now I have to learn how to best save space by configuring the DVR more efficiently.