G22

Boxed vs Dome outdoors under eave

In particular, the Pan WV-CP474 vs the WV-CW474AS dome. Which should have better quality at night? The boxed since the cover is not smoked like the dome? The boxed is 480 TVL and dome is 510 in color apparently.

Also, how reliable is IP66? Can you just stick the dome outside all year round w/o too many worries, or is a separate housing and/or heater/blower best?

Thx.

first of all the WV-CP474 is discontinued and replaced with the WV-CP484, check its spec, it is much higher. The WV-CW474AS, is still a current model..it is not weatherproof, only vandalproof. It is meant to go under an awning or protected from the elements. Only the WV-CW244S has the IP66 rating which can be placed outdoor with no protection..you can see its spec here..

http://www.panasonic.ca/English/Broadcast/security/pdf/wv-cp480.pdf

It says the WV-CW474AS is weatherproof IP66 HERE though... under the Brochure/Spec Sheet

The 474 may be no more, but I still find it a very decent cam. I would prefer the 484 though (actually the 924A even more).

I have a NIB 474AS dome... perhaps I can find someone with a 484 and do a swap. or just sell this one and get a 484.