Sign in to follow this  
flatbedexpress

GeoVision Arctic Camera Warning

Hi everyone!

This is a warning about the GeoVision Arctic Cameras so you don't run into the same problem that I am.

I have had these cameras running since November. They have worked great! But, there is one problem. Even though I have the IR shutoff in the camera settings, if the power gets reset to the camera, the IR will turn back on. This of course ruins my vision of our facilities at night.

I have been going back and forth with USAVisionSys about this issue. They kept saying it was fixed in a firmware update. Finally, last week I e-mailed GeoVision directly. Here is their response:

Thank you for your e-mail to GeoVision Support and apologies

for the confusion caused.

Please firstly know that our IR led is being controlled to turn on

or off based on the IP camera's IO module. Since every power

reset will initial an IO module signal reset and therefore the IR

led will be turn on as well.

In other words, to avoid the conflict between the firmware and

the IO module firmware, the IR light off configuration will not

be stored after the power reset, but trigger IR by D/N will be

stored.

Therefore, the recommend option to be used for actual setup

is Trigger IR by D/N instead of selecting IR light off.

The information provided is our product's current specification

and apologies for the confusion.

For any further question or concern that you may have regarding

this matter, please feel free to contact us again at any time.

Thank you for your e-mail to GeoVision Support.

So I recommend that if you are looking at these cameras, look at other options first.

Most will not even give you the option to turn IR off at all. The best in this regards is Brickcom, I was able to turn IR off/on separately from the IR Cut filter D/N functionality.

I have been going back and forth with USAVisionSys about this issue. They kept saying it was fixed in a firmware update. Finally, last week I e-mailed GeoVision directly. Here is their response:

Hi. to be honest its not a camera fault ........buy an IR camera then you want IR to reset if you have a power loss.

having geo sell an IR that does not switch IR on after power loss would be a bad camera.

you could always tape off IR

Hi. to be honest its not a camera fault ........buy an IR camera then you want IR to reset if you have a power loss.

having geo sell an IR that does not switch IR on after power loss would be a bad camera.

you could always tape off IR

The problem is, the camera is not following what I set in the camera settings when the power is reset to the camera. It should always follow the settings.

The worst part is that after the power is reset, the camera settings still show the IR is shutoff. But it is actually turned on. I have to flip the setting to "On" and then back to "Off" to turn the IR off. I shouldn't have to do that.

This is a poor design on GeoVision's part.

OK put it another way >>>>>YOU want geo to make a firware to switch OFF the IR when power loss or reboot. so every IR camera sold will then have a problem if power loss or reset.

you cant blame a company for something that is not a fault ........should have bought a NONE IR camera

OK put it another way >>>>>YOU want geo to make a firware to switch OFF the IR when power loss or reboot. so every IR camera sold will then have a problem if power loss or reset.

you cant blame a company for something that is not a fault ........should have bought a NONE IR camera

Um, what? What is wrong with wanting your custom software settings to hold when there is a power failure and the power comes back on? I do agree though- if you didn't want an IR camera you shouldn't have gotten one with it included. And how often do you lose power that this is a huge problem? Might you power the camera with a UPS if power outages are frequent enough?

Um, what? What is wrong with wanting your custom software settings to hold when there is a power failure and the power comes back on?

????? yes your right geo should re-write there firmware so all IR cameras will never switch on IR after power loss.

there sold as IR cameras ..................... say car lot has 5 ....working well then power loss at 2 in morning,,,,,,,, i think anyone who bought a IR camera would except it to switch its IR on.

all am saying is you cant blame a company for wrong camera choice....... just as you cant blame a company to write software for just 1 camera for 1 customer

I think the question is whether the camera should remember its settings after a power cycle.

My Vivoteks work the way I'd expect most cameras to work. After a reset or power cycle, they remember the previous settings. If I have IR off, it's still off after a reset. One of mine is set to be in night mode full time (IR on, cut filter out, greyscale) due to problems with the cut filter, and it remembers this after a power cycle.

My Dahuas don't do this, as their IR isn't controlled by software, just by the light sensor on the board, but they also remember their settings after a power cycle.

Now, a full reset to default settings will obviously reset to whatever the factory settings are, but a power cycle shouldn't cause the camera to forget the configuration I've set.

Max, you are correct.

Tom, I am not asking for them to re-write the firmware so it is always off. I'm asking them to correct the problem so it remembers the settings that I set. All of the other settings in the camera are remembered. Just not the IR.

I chose these cameras originally so I didn't need to buy 3rd party licenses for the GeoVision software and also so it could handle our cold weather.

I have to ask the obvious here.

WHY IS THE POWER BEING LOST?

IF THE POWER IS BEING LOST MORE THAN ONCE A YEAR SOMEONE IS NOT DOING THEIR JOB!!

There is also an option in the camera to reboot it at a set time everyday. So it doesn't have to be a power loss to cause this BUG in the programming.

There is also an option in the camera to reboot it at a set time everyday. So it doesn't have to be a power loss to cause this BUG in the programming.

And your ok with that?

And your ok with that?

That is an option that I can set. It isn't forced on to me. I'm just trying to state that it doesn't have to be a power outage to reboot the camera.

Basically, if the camera is ever rebooted, the IR will automatically turn on even if I have it set to be Off. The kicker is, after the camera turns back on, the setting still shows it as being Off.