Aggie86

New Installation Advice, PoE Question

Hey Guys/Gals,

New to the forum and to the whole surveillance system world as well. Looking for some advice from you smart guys…

Just built a new place and had it prewired for cameras (cat5e). Initially planned on using analog cameras & a DVR, connecting via baluns to make use of the Cat5 wiring. After reading here (non-stop for the last week!!) I’ve changed my mind and now in the process of figuring out how to configure my home with IP Cameras & NVR.

Here’s what I’ve come up with: Initially start out with 4 cameras to cover the entrances into the home & an NVR with room to expand down the road (probably 9 or 10 camera’s total…1 of them a PTZ eventually)

The initial purchase plan:

1 - Dahua NVR3216 (non - POE, but Lots of expandability w/16 chan)

3 - Dahua HDW2100 Dome Cameras

1 - Dahua HFW2100 Bullet Camera

For power I was considering this PoE injector:

WS-POE-12-1U 12 port passive Power over Ethernet PoE Injector with 48v 120watt pwr supply (made by wifi-texas)

I know NOTHING about PoE, the above injector comes in LOTS of different flavors (and prices!): 48v/120watt, 48v/60watt, 24v/120watt,24v/60watt

Here’s my questions: What type/amount of PoE power do I need for about 10 cameras? Anybody used this type of rack mounted injector before? Would it be better to go with Dahua NVR w/built-in PoE? or maybe individual injectors using individual 12v pwr supplies?

ANY advice/critiques/comments of my plan would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- John

First check the specs for the cameras you plan on using to see what they pull. Based on the calculate the total and keep in mind future expansions, then make your decision.

Remember POE will only go so far and will not go through any other switching or routing hardware, thus if you have a POE switch or NVR and you put another switch infront of it you will no longer have a POE line.

Thanks for the replies guys:

Rick,

My problem is… I really am a dumb-ass when it comes to the Volts/Amps/Watts stuff.

Here’s the specs on the cams I plan to end up with…

4x 1.3mp Bullet Cams - IPC-HFW2100, DC12V, PoE(802.3af), <6W

2x 1.3mp Dome Cams - IPC-HDW2100, DC12V, PoE (802.3af), <4W

1x 2.0mp Dome Cam - IPC-HDB3202, DC12V/AC24V, PoE(802.3af), <10W

1x Some kinda PTZ…specs approx: AC 24V/3A (±10%) / DC12V optional, 17W, 35W(IR on, Heater on)

Do I add the Watts per cam and then decide on the injector required? Or is there more to it than that? The PTZ will be down the road a ways…I think that may require an additional power supply right?

SectorSecurity,

I plan on using an NVR connected to the internet, so I assume my wiring should look like this?

Router(connected to internet)--->NVR ---->PoE Injector----->IP Cameras

Does that look right?

Thanks again,

John

with poe, all you need to know about volts/amps/watts is that the maximum wattage rating of the camera doesn't exceed the power available on its switch or injector port.

everything except the ptz is well within 802.11af spec, which calls for up to 15.4w/channel. since you're building from scratch, forget the injector - these are useful if there's an existing switch that you want to use, but in your case, a poe switch will be far easier, and probably cheaper. just make sure you use one that supports the full 15.4w on *all* ports, to account for the 10w cameras (cheaper ones will do full power on half the ports, or half-power (7.5w) on all ports). cisco's small business line are some excellent, robust switches for a decent price.

the only other concern is the ptz; this can be powered off a 24vac adapter. anything rated 40va or above will suffice.