MiamiBeachBum

PTZ cameras

What is the general feeling about PTZ cameras? I'm thinking about putting a couple around a residental home for added security.. One in the Front yard and one in the back.

There are a couple selling on ebay in the $1,000 range. (see below link)

I've read about the ones with AI that will patrol/pan and when motion is dectected it will lock on and follow the subject.. anyone have experience with that type? Concerned about realiability.. More moving parts unsually means more broken parts.

Any comments are appriciated.

What do you think about this one?

http://

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088260279&category=48629

Those people suck.

Honestly speaking, how big is the house?

Is the house yours?

If so, a couple of pics that you can send us will be better so that we can have an idea on what it is that you are looking for and what you really need.

PM me more info.

Motion sensing PTZ control is poor at that price range, there are only a few that do it and it would be very expensive, i looked into it a while back.

What they best and probabl the way they are talking about is to incorporate hardware sensors that send signals to the PTZ telling it where to go... actual pixel direction is very poor at this stage but is on the improve.. I have seen a lot of demos on the technology and the only PTZ devices that come close are much more expensive then that... keep in mind PTZ motors run 24/7 if on tour so reliable components are a must.... also here is a tip.. many people put their PTZ in an outside housing but forget to remove the orignal plastic dome cover, this affects the lens and the image.

The best quality PTZ's I have seen are Pelco.. also has the best programmable protocol and Panasonic.. the cheapest is Merit Lilin.

Ptz' devices are great if you haev good choke points that can set off sensors.. we also sell a Pelco protocolled PT Dome.. it only has a digital zoom but it is a standard dome which can be controlled and only costs around $400 US with Keyboard..t hsi means through your DVR or internet you can control a camera for less than $400 US

I cannot see a valid reason for a PTZ in a residential application unless you are going to be home watching and controlling it. PTZ's don't have much use unless you have a guard type situation since if you are not home it will either be lookin at one particular area, or if so equipped running a guard tour which doesn't do you much good unless you are still there to take control when you see something interesting. For the price of one PTZ you can by several fixed cameras. Average U.S. price for a PTZ is anywhere from $795 to $1295 wholesale and that doesn't include a controller.

Phillips has the auto tracking feature for their PTZs, I hear it is very good, never tried it though.

http://I cannot see a valid reason for a PTZ in a residential application unless you are going to be home watching and controlling it. PTZ's don't have much use unless you have a guard type situation since if you are not home it will either be lookin at one particular area, or if so equipped running a guard tour which doesn't do you much good unless you are still there to take control when you see something interesting. For the price of one PTZ you can by several fixed cameras. Average U.S. price for a PTZ is anywhere from $795 to $1295 wholesale and that doesn't include a controller.

I disagree with that, if used in conjunction with hardware sensors then teh PTZ will go where the detected person is, that is better than having multiple cames cash wise, we have put many PTZ units into expensive resedential places.

The Phillips is pretty good but it is not in that price range!

Phillips is the only one I know of with auto tracking.

But i dont sell it.

how do the PTZ know where to go??

You mean like using Alarm Beams or Outdoor Motion Sensors?

Any closed relay circuit can be sent to the PTZ, the keyboard for the PTZ or I/O module from Geovision can be programmed in such a way that when detecting a closed circuit that it immediatly goes to a PRE Set position for a certain legth of time then continues its toor.... so erevry time an intruder goes near any sensor the camera will turn and zoom at him.

Philips is not the only PTZ with motion tracking... and infact Geo are to release it as part of their sofware!

what other PTZ brand has it?

Ive seen some seperate boxes that have auto tracking, but they arent cheap. and im sure alot of the windows capture cards have it as its easy enough to write for windows.

Thats correct.. its Sunday here and I am off to play indoor soccer in aminute so I cant tell you which ones have it but I will haev a look when I get back to work.... I thought it was the Pelco.. but I can not remember to be honest.. I am pretty sure that Sensormatic have that feature.. however it is not fool proof!

As far as I've seen the actual auto-tracking functionality works fine in indoor applications where the dome cameras can be mounted at a reasonable height (+4m)

From what I've seen it doesn't work that fine outdoors.

Everfocus makes some nice PTZ camera's. I've only gotten to play with one of the Katel PTZ camera's. It was pretty good, but you have to get a special converter box if you you're using a RS-232 to 485 converter.

From what I've seen in the past, every PTZ needs its own convertor box, unless the protocol conversion is build in.

But for PTZ cameras, (ie fixed cameras on a PTZ module) most brands use a separate control box.

It depends. The protocol can be built into (or added) into the DVR. Then you use an RS-232 to 485 (422) converter to run the wires to the PTZ. For this you can use a generic converter box. Katel seems to require a second converter between thier camera and the DVR. That second converter converts thier open protocol (or Pelco D) to the camera's protocol. Please note that this is how it works with us and with other systems I may just be talking out my rear.

There is new motion tracking coming out on some DVR's what they do is use a wide angled panoramic dome or other camera then use the PTZ looking at the same scene, set them to see the same thing and then the PTZ recognises the differences in pixel movement and moves to those locations.. it actually is pretty darn cool, also the new zoom on pixel movement is awesome, you can set zones so that when someone enters that zone the PTZ zooms to pre defined area, very handy!!... Some cameras have the protocol run up the coax which took me ages to find out, they then use a menu system

DVR_Expert,

Who is doing these stunning DVR dome magic ??

Are these systems for sale all ready ??

Thanks for the info.

I would guess by looking at the amount of change. If a tennis ball is 1% and a human is 10%, go with the higher number. Gonna suck in traffic situations but I get the sense it's more for indoor/isolated areas.

Correct thomas, would not work to well with traffic areas, by hardware you can define the length it goes and stops in one area nad you can set by software the priority of each area and the dwell time..

Example.

Customer walks to front entrance doorway, above him/her is a zoom cam.. not pan tilt but just zoom, as he reaches the door, zoom adjusts because motion mask was set for it and gets a facial shot then returns its view to panoramic.

Small PTZ indoors, customer walks to front counter of the shop, PTZ has motion set for this area and spins this way.. customer walks client to showroom, motion zones on the way follow both, assistant goes back to geta pen, so now two different directions.. you can choose either a few seconds on each or by priority of your zones, so because higher priority is at the front of the shop the cam swings back with the assistant...customer goes through doorway into office.. not supposed to be there, motion or hardware sends PTZ to this spot and stays with him as it is prioritised zone.. It is not foolprrof and already works with sensormatic domes and Geovision.

On a human note, having a PTZ follow your motions if you're able to observe it at a close enough range to hear the motors is extremely creepy.

Automatic camera tracking has been around for a while, in fact the US military already use systems for various applications.

How about linking a tracking PTZ with a facial recognition system? Now we're talking creepy

How about a PTZ camera at your desk, above your monitor, hooked up to a web demo letting others move it remotely. That's creepy. Luckly it's my co-worker and not me.

How about a PTZ camera at your desk, above your monitor, hooked up to a web demo letting others move it remotely. That's creepy. Luckly it's my co-worker and not me.

where's the link?!