SickNick

Approximately 46 IP Cameras - Super NVR or Server?

I've been thinking of the idea to go with the multiple NVR3208 setup, but I am thinking it is going to be a pain to review video. That's why I keep reverting to the NVR6000.

why not just change brand of NVR..... then you have much better options on which IP cameras you want to use.

and not have to use a PC alongside like you do with the dahua

Any other NVR I have seen for recording at this many channels goes for about $10k on other brands.

I've been thinking of the idea to go with the multiple NVR3208 setup, but I am thinking it is going to be a pain to review video. That's why I keep reverting to the NVR6000.

why not just change brand of NVR..... then you have much better options on which IP cameras you want to use.

Any other NVR I have seen for recording at this many channels goes for about $10k on other brands.

hi. don't get caught up in the word super dvr THATS only at D1.

it will only do 32 at 2mp

Why would anyone use a PC alongside?!

hi. don't get caught up in the word super dvr THATS only at D1.

it will only do 32 at 2mp

I understand, and I want to do 40-50 cameras @720P. Either way, 32 Channels at 1080p is in the top end of NVRs, that is A LOT of data.

That is what I was thinking lol

I am assuming he is talking about the case of using 6 NVRs stacked you would use PSS to see everything on one screen.

the 600 cant display all cameras at same time ....... so pc is needed ...... also pc is needed to burn footage

Why does it make sense to re-decode the already decoded stream?

If you want to monitor all of them, anyone can just add 6 HDMI/DVI monitors.

If you want to monitor a part of them, playback, a KVM switch can be used.

The 6 monitors would be fine for live viewing.

The problem is if you want to look at all cameras on a certain date range you would have to go to each DVR and fill out that date range. When you are skipping around and trying to find something that you don't know the time to, it gets very annoying doing that every time.

the 600 cant display all cameras at same time ....... so pc is needed ...... also pc is needed to burn footage

footage can be burnt via USB/eSATA CD/DVD/BDWriter

you can also backup to an USB stick, USB HDD or eSATA HDD (it's a standalone device, not a semi-standalone!)

6000 can preview 36 720p (if i do remember well)... also, no one could watch 36 time cameras at a time, so either you switch the cameras, display them at Motion Detection/Alarm Inputs or other evenys, or you could just output them to a big video wall, using other NVDs/NVRs as decoders

The 6 monitors would be fine for live viewing.

The problem is if you want to look at all cameras on a certain date range you would have to go to each DVR and fill out that date range. When you are skipping around and trying to find something that you don't know the time to, it gets very annoying doing that every time.

True, but not even PSS can playback so many channells synced... so you either identify the date range and download the recording for that from each NVR or...

This is already a VA - Video Analytics required situation or a very clever install made with motion detect, zone setup and alarm sensors (yes, you can search by recording, MD or alarm)

That is what I was thinking lol

I am assuming he is talking about the case of using 6 NVRs stacked you would use PSS to see everything on one screen.

the 600 works just like nvrs stacked. ...... but the 600 will only display 6ch@1080P/9ch@720P/36ch@D1

so you need PC to view all channels

If are talking about the NVR6000, we are talking about a server-class solution (redundant power supplies, RAID, hot-swap, ECC, watchdogs, 4 gigabit LANs that can be bonded etc), with 6 HDMI outputs, all integrated in a single device with full control over the outputs...

No, there is quite a big difference between 6 NVRs and one standalone NVR that will sum up 6 NVRs in one (have you tested it to see how it works?)

The implementation is similar to PSS (with tasks and recording plans).

Yeah, I don't get all the hate.

It has 6 HDMI outputs... that's a LOT of viewing abilities with 6 monitors.

Is it the end all be all best solution for 46 cameras at 720p (which he stated is all he wants in his original post)? No... is it an adequate solution for the right person with the right application? Obviously it must be or they wouldn't be producing any of these.

Life is about compromise... I'm sure some of you drive a Honda Civic when you would rather have a Lexus... but the budget didn't let you have that Lexus, so maybe this guy needs to buy the honda civic version of "enterprise" nvr's.

When they say 36 camera synced playback at D1, Is it just the playback that has to be displayed at D1 or does the recording have to be D1?

The recording.

It's a hardware limitation, since at playback the recordings are decompressed.

The NVR works like this:

-streams from cameras are directly written to the HDDs, with no video/audio decompression (besides data for making the log of events)

-also, the streams are decoded and displayed

-at playback, data is read from storage, decoded, and displayed, based on the database/log of events or time

So at everytime you display an image, it will need decompression.

streams from cameras are directly written to the HDDs, with no video/audio decompression (besides data for making the log of events)

No dahua does this direct.................... this is why I call them a toy NVR. don't forget all dahua are limited to FPS (which also tells you it does not go direct to HD)

Limited to FPS? Direct to HD? What do you mean?

They use a very well implemented ideea: they have their own protocol for communication and their own file system (so no one could alter/delete them in an easy way)... They store "RAW" data that is hard to decode/modify.

I know, most systems use simple FAT/FAT32 or EXT3/EXT4 and AVI(or other container for H.264) file format... Well, at a consumer level, that seems right and simple. But at a PRO level, that is a lack of security and confidence.