cctv_survivor

Help with Geovision software for remote view

Hello, I have a GV800 card and I need help setting up some type of remote view application so I can watch my residence while I'm at work. I have played around with the Geovision software but with so many options I am overwhelmed and confused.

What would be the best way for me to remote view? What application would I use? Is there a setup guide anywhere?

Here is some information about my setup:

1. I have 1 camera now would like 4-6 cameras eventually

2. I have cable modem service with 486k upload.

3. It would be nice to be able to run the remote view application on a USB thumb drive. My company won't allow me to install any applications on work pc's.

4. It would be nice if the remote view application would like me rewind to past events during the day.

5. It would be nice if setup of network is easy. I'm not a network tech geek.

6. My pc is a AMD 2000 XP with 512 ram, 250 gig HD.

Thanks!

VIA chipset? Hope not.....

I suppose the company you work for will not allow the downloading of ActiveX controls to use the browser view either....hmmmm

Regardless, you are going to have to install somethng on the work PC, whether they know it or not. It can be done.

The Geo based system allows for Remote Playback viewing as you mention. It will allow you to search the DVR video database and then you can play the files over IP, or download/play the files. Since you will be at work, good chance you are going to have some ports blocked that need to be opened through the firewall there which may pose as a slight problem.

Ever though about getting a PDA?

Scottj

i could (not gong to) compile a program that wont require installation, a self executable, but the thing is you will still have issues with the codecs, so they would have to be installed by the program on first run anyway.

The PC sounds like mine, same specs, except the HDD, and i have a Via chipset, so wont be able to run most cards 60fps and higher.

I don't think I have a VIA chipset. My motherboard is an Asus A87NX deluxe or something like that and I think it is a Nvidia chipset.

So to remote view I need the GV800 main program running on my home pc with the settings for TCP or Web server setup?

What program allows me to remote view?

Yes, you just have to make sure that if you are using a Router with the DVR at your home that you port forward (virutal server) or "open/map" the proper port numbers used by the Geo webservers. If you go to need help, myself or Rory can setup your machine remotely providing you load a VNC client on the DVR so we can gain access to it. You can then just sit back and watch the changes one of us makes to the DVR sort of like a online tutorial. Contact one of us in PM if this sounds like something you wish to do.

Scottj

If the card is in your PC, open the case, look at the Mboard, there will be a square chip on it, look for a name like intel, Via, or SIS. That way we know what chipset you are using, or if you can get the actual Mother board or PC Brand and Model Number, even better.

GV800 will run on Intel or SIS chipsets, VIA no.

The Geo main System is the DVR server, does all the recording, etc. To use the Geo MultiCam Client Softare (non browser based) you need the TCP server running, and for the browser based activeX, you need the WebCam Server running, you can manually turn these on from the network menu, click to start, click to stop. Also can make them load automatically from the main set up screen.

Not a problem about the VNC, check the PC/Motherboard model first though. If still no luck PM one of us. Im online 22/7.

Rory

Asus A7N8X:

Chipset - nVidia nForce II

Processor - Athlon XP FSB 100/133/166MHz, Duron FSB 100MHz

Memory - PC1600/2100/2700/3200

So looks like the motherboard is your problem.

Rory

His board should work, we have used the nVidia 2 chipsets before with version 6.05. Never tried them with 6.1 or later as those boards are effectively obsolete these days.

I think his original problem was that he was not sure how to get his unit online so he could view it from work without having to download ActiveX controls (OCX Controls) etc. I think he may have probs with his employer IT dept. allowing him access to certain ports the Geo requires, unless they are not blocking the 3500-5600 rainge (probably not).

Scottj

They probably won't allow him to download the OCX Checker (ActiveX) at his workstation in his office on their network. He may just be SOL.

Scottj

Ok, so I turned on the TCP server in GV-system. I then went into my router and on 192.168.1.100 I forwarded port 3550 TCP. ON THE SAME COMPUTER - I then launched the multiview remote cam program and successfully connected to my camera using IP address 192.168.1.100.

Does the above verify that I have correctly setup remote viewing? If I test at work (assuming I can install the mutlicam prog) I would then replace my internal IP of 192.168.1.100 with my cable modems IP, right?

scottj helped me test my geovision tcp and web server last night. We had to open alot of ports and I had to turn off my XP firewall before it started working.

My question is how safe is it to open all these ports and turn off my firewall? I am now more vunerable to hacks since these ports are now open and I'm running a web server?

Thanks

Windows XP integrated Firewall is worthless to be honest, you only have those 4 or 5 ports opened through the router which should still have a firewall enabled. Everyone is vulnerable to being hacked, regardless of the gear they use so I wouldn't worry about it. We have systems that have been up for a couple of years and are still perfectlt safe and operating.

Scottj

Ok so I just tried to access the web server from here at work. I get past several screen 1. select mpeg4 ok, 2. select DSL/Cable and one window ok, 3. when this screen displays I don't see any video. Just a blank window with a red X. I click the play button and its says, "active x downloading please refresh". I refresh and nothing happens still a red x.

Any ideas?

are you using Internet Explorer? Have to use Internet Explorer.

Also make sure your security settings are set to default (medium).

Rory

Your work is blocking activeX from coming through their network. You may have to install the components from a CD behind their back.

Scottj

download this program i wrote, copy to USB jump drive, floppy, whatever, its small (531kb), when you run it, click on the 2 buttons one at a time, it will install the Geo Codec and also the v7.0 activeX which works for all versions. If you had previous versions that may be causing problems, check the "fresh" box for a clean up of other versions.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/GeoFix.zip

cctv_survivor:

From my experience, you only need to open a maximum of 3 ports to get the Geo system to work over the web. If you're "forwarding" those ports to a specific IP address on the router (which it seems you are) then that will only allow traffic on those ports to go to *that* computer. Your other computers are not affected. If you open the port to the whole subnet, that would put other computers on the network at greater risk.

Technically, you shouldn't have to turn off your WinXP firewall, but you would have to "open" those ports as well within XP's firewall.

If you opened any other ports for remote administration (remote desktop, VNC, etc.), you should close them when that service is no longer needed. This will pose a much greater security risk than the Geo ports.

And, as always, no web browsing on the DVR computer!

Its not on his end, his employer is blocking ActiveX download across their network. Most do this to prevent virus transfers.

Scottj