ClosedCircuitCom

Remote viewing

Most of you are gonna say this belongs in the dvr card forum but just read and ull understand.

i have a customer with a GV816 system in 2 locations never had a problem with remote viewing until now he bought a sony VAIO laptop with built in Wireless, he goes to his site puts in the user name and password hits connect it takes a minute or so and a box comes up sayin "cannot connect to server". Now even trickier it doesnt happen all the time he was watching for about 3 hours today working fine he got disconnected went to log back in and nothing cannot connect, also tried at home remember with the same laptop didnt work cam back 3 hours later and it worked 5 minutes later nothing. this is ONLY with this laptop never have i seen this problem anywhere else.

Something to do with his laptop? what type of connection, any spyware running in the background, trojan bots, virus .. ?

try different channels on the wireless side of the programing. Some channels are more noisier at certain times than others. Default is usually channel 6..........change them. Move the laptop closer to the hub and see if the problem still happens.

And, are both the laptop and hub update to the latest greatest firmware? If not, get it updated.

Run SpyBot S&D ... ?

Also, does he have Norton Worm Protection, or something like that, which can be blocking activeX or certain ports. Check TCP port filtering also.

Reset Internet Explorer Settings, and Set to default.

Remove IE from Add Remove Programs, and Components, then Reinstall it, sometimes can help.

What OS and SP is it?

Disabling Auto Protect wont help, you need to goto Antivirus Settings, and Internet Worm Protection, disable it for now, then see what you get. I had a similar issue and even though I disabled Auto Protect, it was still blocking Programs in the Worm Protection. I had to remove everything from the Program Control then it worked.

I would check MSCONFIG and Start up, and also look for any services that may be running in the BG that may be suspisious, also check Task Scheduling and make sure there isnt anything there that can be the culprit.

Run Latest version of Spybot S&D and see if there isnt any spyware.

I would though start by removing IE then Reinstalling it, or at least resetting to default settings.

This is only happening with the browser right?

Rory

From the way the problem is described it almost sounds like signal loss of some kind.

You can install netstumber on his laptop and see if he is receiving a consistent wireless signal and eliminate that as a potential problem.

The program can chart the signal over a period of time and show if the signal is dropping out intermittently.

http://www.netstumbler.com/

After re-reading your posts you said you used an Ethernet cable so that should eliminate the wireless issue.

I’ll just leave this for future reference for anyone else.

remove the OCX downloaded program files (delete them), Remove the registry entries for all Geo apps in the laptop. Reboot and try connecting to his machine again.

Scottj