JayOwen

2 dvr's do I need 2 static IP's?

If you have a separate router you could assign your static to that and fwd the two ports you want to use. hook up both dvrs to it with local ips and different ports and biggity bam.

what would be the advantage to having two dvr's......

For example: Lets say your doing a big install at a rec center, this center has been added on to building to building since 1980. There is 5 additions and they want cameras at 7 different locations. Would it be cost effective to place a dvr near the 4 cameras that are farther out from the main dvr location....

in the above scenario would it be cost effective you think to place a dvr (it shouldn't need its own HD right? cause your able to view it on the same network on the other dvr? ) (the second is only acting as an access point) so would it be cheaper than paying employees an hourly rate to pull wires all the way back to the main hub plus the savings on wire cost....

if I were to do this it would save me about approximately 800' in cables.

your opinions count thanks!

I just did this in a recent install where they wanted 21 camera, but didnt want to pay for a 32 channel DVR, so we went with an 8 channel and a 16 channel.