quovadis

Setting up A DVR to send emails

Hi , I have recently set up a DVR in its working fine, and can gain remote access etc .. within the setup it says I can get the DVR to send pictures as and when movement is detected however the manual is rather vague as to how to do this

Firstly I have an AOL account ( America Online )

The DVR is asking for the following fields to be completed

SSL ( On or Off)

SMTP PORT ( Normally 25? )

SMTP ( Server address? )

SEND EMAIL ( I assume this is my email address? )

SEND PW ( Must be password )

RECV EMAIL ( Not sure is this the same as my email address for the picture ? )

Any help appreciated

Google "AOL SMTP Settings"

and the recv email and send email will most likely be the same. The password should be your password.

That should get you going or close at least.

Hi , I have recently set up a DVR in its working fine, and can gain remote access etc .. within the setup it says I can get the DVR to send pictures as and when movement is detected however the manual is rather vague as to how to do this Any help appreciated

Firstly I have an AOL account ( America Online )

The DVR is asking for the following fields to be completed

SSL ( On )

SMTP PORT ( 587 )

SMTP (smtp.aol.com )

SEND EMAIL ( I assume this is my email address? ) Yes

SEND PW ( Must be password )

RECV EMAIL ( Not sure is this the same as my email address for the picture ? ) not needed

see if that works for you.

There has to be a recv email otherwise how does it know who to send an email to?

The send email and send password authenticate to the smtp server. The recv email is who gets the alert email.

Thank you for a prompt reply ... I will try this and see how it goes .....do I have to consider any further port forwarding than what done already ( remote access is ok at present)

kind regards

Hi tried these settings and it allows me to send a test email ... but says email or network error ? the smtp port I have put in as 00587 as I have 5 input windows is this correct ?

any other way I can check things

Kind regards

Paul

SSL = on

SMTP Server = smtp.aol.com

SMTP PORT = 587

SEND EMAIL = (your email)

SEND PW = (your pw)

RECV EMAIL = (your email)

Also make sure that you have a DNS server in your network settings. Try 8.8.8.8 as the server so it can resolve the smtp server. Also try it without the 00 in the port number.

In my experience, it's best to use your IP provider email address and information for the send. My cable provider is Optimum, so for the send I use my optonline email address and info. Gmail did not work, nor any other address. It only likes my email account from my internet provider. But for the receive, use any email address you want.

I has to set me send email and receive email as different email addys. I have my dvr it's own gmail acct. it was thankful and now sends me lovely pictures of people at my door. And squirrels at times.

well folks...I tried these suggestions ...but STILL get message to say there is a problem ...IS there anything else I can try ....THE DVR and remote access is fine ...dont understand this!!

I could not get my DVR (a Q-See) to send an email until I finally set up a gmail account and used it for sending. No matter what I tried, it gave me an error. I never figured out why, I just went with it because it worked.

SSL = on

SMTP Server = smtp.gmail.com

SMTP PORT = 465 (not 587)

SEND EMAIL = (yourgmailaddress@gmail.com)

SEND PW = (your pw)

RECV EMAIL = (destination email - which for me is not a gmail account)

One thing, though. Some Internet Service Providers (particularly Comcast/Xfinity in the NE) do not allow emails to be sent from an SMPT server other than their own. I experience this when I visit my family and use my laptop to send email. If I use Outlook and not a web interface to send email using my own domain's smpt server it bounces back with an error. I need to temporary change the smpt server Outlook uses to Comcast's.

Hi all ...........Partial success .... I did like you suggested set up a fresh gmail address and tried but it failed ...done this several times but still no go then re entered the data again into DVR and then restarted ....then it worked ...checked gmail account and saw a picture .... HOWEVER been working outside today in front of all the cameras ...expected to see loads of pics on gmail but just saw the first one that was sent?

the other issue is that I tried to look at the recordings from the laptop ... and it finds the day and shows all the times of all the movements ...but when I ask it to play Explorer stops ? .... I get this when I check for further info :

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 10.0.9200.16537

Application Timestamp: 512347f7

Fault Module Name: NetDvr.ocx

Fault Module Version: 1.6.2.45

Fault Module Timestamp: 501a2064

Exception Offset: 0006fb9c

Exception Code: c0000417

Exception Data: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: af5b

Additional Information 2: af5b8c3d504847de93ded729c42666a9

Additional Information 3: 5197

Additional Information 4: 51973669d353fc3b7841abc148f6732f

Any ideas on what is going on ?

Read our privacy statement online:

Given that the DVR successfully sent one message then you have the Internet/email settings correctly configured. Was it a test message or an actual alarm motion message that worked one time? If it was a test message then you still must not have the proper alarm settings on your DVR to send an email on motion alarm. If it was a single motion alarm message, then I don't know.

Regarding the error message from Internet Explorer... Is the remote software you're using on your PC to view/operate your DVR compatible with Internet Explorer 10 (per the error dump that's what you're using)? My Q-See only works with IE8. It sort of works with IE9 but I get strange page layout issues and errors like you're getting. I haven't tried IE10.