rory

Black Camera Housings

anyone know of any? Ive been looking only found one but it maybe to small:

VideoLarm BH8W - black polycarbonate body, flip-open top, MCL 8"

Any others out there?

thanks

rory

How about a Pelco and a can of black spray paint? :^)

Thats what I do to my CD and floppy drives when building black rack servers.

done that already on 2 housings, recently and in the past, never came out good, had an auto shop paint it in the end, the last time, and was good, but rather not have to go through that .. its tedious and time consuming down here.

Extreme is supposed to have one early 2006, same as the EX82 type housing, which will be good, course the price .. dunno yet.

But i need them now .. anyway Im going to look at the BlackHawke and also the GE Housings, as the GE ones are ABS plastic which should be easier to paint, if the BlackHawke wont fit my cam ..

thanks

Rory

I know you probably know this already rory, but for the benefit of anyone else thinking of putting cameras in black housings, it's important to make sure that they are not going to be installed in full sun.

It's not unusual to find black housings being used for street surveillance over here, but whenever they are subjected to intense sun, the internal temperature (resulting from solar radiation) can quite literally bake the camera alive..... and then it goes dead

If it is going to be used in full sunlight, it's certainly worth fitting a small circulatory fan inside, to keep the air moving, and help minimise hot spots on the PCB's.

actually video tech has none.

Also, used black housings I painted down here in the tropics for 5 years no fans though, no problems. One example is the EX82 before they started using fans in them. Actually never used a fan in any of the GE housings and they run great, even in 90 degrees all year round sun shine.

I may just velcro a 24VAC cheap fan in these anyway ... since yah mentioned it coop

You know what else? You could also try and fabricate some sort of sun shield for the housing so that sunlight doesn't directly hit it, thus dramaticly minimizing the heat effect on them.

An old trick they used to use for cameras in desert conditions (Middle East etc.) was to fit a double sunshield on a housing.

The outer shield reflects back the suns rays (unless its painted black in which case it absorbs the heat), and air is drawn between the sunshields by convection, reducing the 'skin' temperature of the housing below.

I know years ago, a very few manufacturers (Vicon springs to mind) used to fit fans to draw air between the sunshield and housing, but those were seriously big housings (still got one knocking around somewhere).

With all this talk about global warming, maybe there's going to be a developing market for this type of product.