sue

Assistance requested for home security

Thanks much. No wireless for me. Strictly wires. I'm still researching. There's a lot of stuff out there. Thank you.

Thanks much. No wireless for me. Strictly wires. I'm still researching. There's a lot of stuff out there. Thank you.

if you dont need remote video or pc connection, the kalatel VDR is a cheap alternative, and a good brand. Its a Video Digital Recorder, simply just like a time lapse recorder, but longer and higher digital quality, and no tapes, so no maintenance. Its a machine so unlike PC based systems, stable. GOes for $415, same price as a time lapse VCR. Then using a 4 channel mux you can do full screen high quality recording. Just choose a good camera, even if it is not highest resolution. Provideo Bullet Cameras have worked well for me, and are lower costing then a tradiitional or mini dome set camera (CVC-325 - BW Bullet w. sunshield - $150 approx, CVC-625 - Color Bullet w/ sunshield - $check)

www.spytown.com and search manufacturers can give you an idea of good pricing. They have alot of different brands listed in case you want to use another. Spytown doesnt have the VDR listed, but others do, better yet find a dealer near you, where are you located??

Rory

Thanks for the Vidkom referral. They don't sell to the general public, but referred me to someone who does. I bought something last night. We'll see. It will take about a week for the cameras to come in.

Their DVR pricing is actually pretty low. I'm surprised. Wonder whose system they use. At least they are close by for you to go over and see everything. Let everyone know how it all works out.

Uhm, she bought the DVR with the infamous PICO 2000 software, If you can cancel it, do so.

The picture of the card on the site is very similar to the cheapo cards on UK Ebay for £22.99. They have the PICO2000 software bundled too. Look at item 2980148392 on Ebay.co.uk. Of course, it doesn't mean that they aren't any good.

The picture of the card on the site is very similar to the cheapo cards on UK Ebay for £22.99. They have the PICO2000 software bundled too. Look at item 2980148392 on Ebay.co.uk. Of course, it doesn't mean that they aren't any good.

everything on that site is cheap stuff, be interested to see if they work

i wouldnt call those DVRs though, their just PCs with PCI video capture cards.

TRUST ME, THEY SUCK!!!!!

THEY CRASH, LEFT RIGHT AND CENTER.

I TRIED THOSE ALREADY

Maybe I should stay away from forums.

What do you mean by this?

All we are trying to say is that you should'nt get this system because it's a toy, you should consider something else.

Remember, most of us here are professionals of the security industry, we know what we are talking about, and we are just trying to help you make a smart decision without getting burned.

Maybe I should stay away from forums.

What do you mean by this?

All we are trying to say is that you should'nt get this system because it's a toy, you should consider something else.

Remember, most of us here are professionals of the security industry, we know what we are talking about, and we are just trying to help you make a smart decision without getting burned.

exactly, most people that come to a cctv site, will generally be looking for more than a radio shack type of solution. We're not going to lie to you, merely stating facts on the quality of the products.

Rory

What I mean is that I ended up with this guy from a referral here. Plus, I feel badly for being so stupid as to buy from this guy that I'm almost too embarassed to come back. I thank you for trying to help me.

Turns out, I pressed the guy, and the card in the machine is indeed the $20 POS from China. I didn't pay a whole lot for this thing. The cameras are infrared. If I need to replace the PCI card, no problem. I'll give this a go and let you know what happens. Thanks, guys. Now, if this card is indeed a POS, I may be looking for another.

What I mean is that I ended up with this guy from a referral here. Plus, I feel badly for being so stupid as to buy from this guy that I'm almost too embarassed to come back. I thank you for trying to help me.

Turns out, I pressed the guy, and the card in the machine is indeed the $20 POS from China. I didn't pay a whole lot for this thing. The cameras are infrared. If I need to replace the PCI card, no problem. I'll give this a go and let you know what happens. Thanks, guys. Now, if this card is indeed a POS, I may be looking for another.

no problem, noone is trying to offend you or anything, they all like to help when they can.

Once you have the cameras, you can always switch the DVR if neccassary. And once the wire is run, you can always switch the cameras out of you wanted to at a later date, or even just swtich one at a time, and test different ones. It is not just a job, its also a fun hobby, at least for me , though can be expensive at some times.

I have installed a few PC based DVRs in the past actually, though just love the all-in one stand alone DVRs as they are so easy to install and maintenance free, and now come with just about all the features of the PC based ones, BUT, are more expensive in our neck of the woods. Personally I cant afford one yet for my appt, im still using a home VCR@!! And BW Bullet Cameras...

Soon though, very soon, ill switch as I get more money You know you can also hook the cameras up to your TV if you have a RCA input as most newer TVs do. Its only 1 input, so youd need a quad type splitter to split up the monitor output, they are pretty cheap and any brand should suffice.

My VCR, i just use a 8hour tape, and hit record when i go out, and i have alarm yard beams though, so Ill know to look if someone tried to break in or steal etc. Heck, the alarm itself cost me $1800 using pricing from wholesale, including wiring the beams etc.! But its worth it. And thats only 3 beams, a motion and a door switch (hard wired).

Rory

I'm telling you, give the ALNET a try..

I'll make a deal with you, and I'm going to post it here so that EVERYONE can see it, so there's no saying that I did not say so.

If you decide to buy another DVR card, I'll sell you one of the 4 ports, at DEALER price, and I'll give you 14 DAYS to try it out, Don't like it?, let me know, I'll refund every single penny of your purchase when you send the card back, if you are interested, give me a e-mail

hermin@shscomputers.com

and to make things better, I'll let you pay me thru paypal, which also covers you in case of fraud, just another assurance.

Card cost for dealer:

149.99 (+ Shipping)

4 port, 30fps, 8 input, 4 output relays built in the card.

And, if I act now, I get this nifty vegetable slicer along with 53 attachments, a $300 value!