Tallgrass

CCTV for intersection viewing ?

Hello, I am a newbie here and to the CCTV world. I need some recommendations.

I want to record vehicle accidents at intersections around my cities and then sell the video .

Things needed:

1. Remote viewing from a remote computer.

2. E-mail functionality- So i can email the video . Will i need a DVR with a Server built into it?

3. Storage- I have read that i can get a 4Terabyte HD with a DVR fo an additional $600.00.Is this the way to go?

Undoubtedly i have missed quite a bit. Any thoughts or links i need to read up on?

Any idea or comment welcomed. Thanks in advance.

I want to record vehicle accidents at intersections around my cities and then sell the video .

sell public space video ?????

hope you have a good budget. how many cameras are needed for your city ???

but your main problem is going to be power and network at each location as this sounds like a private venture

sell public space video ?????

hope you have a good budget. how many cameras are needed for your city ???

but your main problem is going to be power and network at each location as this sounds like a private venture

I spoke to an attorney and he thought it was a good idea as well. Film high crash intersections and sell the video to plaintiffs and then the defendants also would need to buy the video as well and then i would also draw a fee for a court appearance as witnessing that i was the one that filmed the intersection.

I can come up with the power by an arrangement with a restaurant at the intersection.

Starting out with only a couple locations at first.I have a list of the high accident locations in my city. Needing education on subject.First pursued this back in the late 90's and equipment has sure came along ways since then. Will need to house all equipment in large metal box attached to building.

Any ideas or thoughts? Best equipment to use? Can anyone recommend a brand?

Did you ever here of anyone else doing this?

I have been looking at this DVR. Opinions? Is there a better one?

http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/8chpsefud1di.html

Video Inputs: 8 inputs, BNC (1.0Vp-p, 75Ohm)

Video Outputs: 1 1080p HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 TV, 1 Spot BNC

Audio Inputs: 8 Channel RCA(200-2800mV, 30 Ohm)

Audio Outputs: 1 Channel RCA(200-3000mV, 5k Ohm)

Compression: H.264

Recording Resolution D1/4CIF, HD1, 2CIF & CIF

Encoding: FULL D1 at 30FPS

Bit Rate: 32-4096 Kbps

Record Mode: Manual, Schedule, MD, Camera Blank/Video Loss, Alarm

Trigger Events: Recording, PTZ Movement, Tour, Alarm, Email, Spot Output

Motion Detection: 396 Zones (22x18) 1-6 Sensitivity

Alarm Inputs: 4/8/16 Channel

Relay Output: 1/2/4/All

Search Mode: Time/Date, Alarm, Motion Detect & Exact Search (Accurate to the Second), Smart Search

Playback Function: Play, Pause, Stop, Rewind, Fast play, Slow play, Next File,

Previous File, Next Camera, Previous Camera, Full Screen, Repeat, Shuffle, Backup Selection, Digital Zoom

Backup Modes: Flash Drive/ USB HDD / Network Download RJ-45 Port (10m/100m/1000m)

Network Function: HTTP, TCP/IP, UPNP, RTSP, UDP, SMTP, NTP, DHCP, DNS, IP Filter, PPPOE, DDNS, FTP, Alarm Server, IP Search

Remote Operation: Monitor, PTZ Control, Playback, System Setting, File Download, Log Info

Hard Drive Interface: 2 SATA Hard Drive Ports

Edited by Guest

I spoke to an attorney and he thought it was a good idea as well. Film high crash intersections and sell the video to plaintiffs and then the defendants also would need to buy the video as well and then i would also draw a fee for a court appearance as witnessing that i was the one that filmed the intersection

it will take you years to get setup costs back ........ don't know where you are but do you need to be licenced for public space ???

plaintiff defendants ????? is that not if every accident goes to court????

but say you have a camera set up and it records something (in public space) what is stopping the police from requesting footage ....... who pays you then

I spoke to an attorney and he thought it was a good idea as well. Film high crash intersections and sell the video to plaintiffs and then the defendants also would need to buy the video as well and then i would also draw a fee for a court appearance as witnessing that i was the one that filmed the intersection

it will take you years to get setup costs back ........ don't know where you are but do you need to be licenced for public space ???

but say you have a camera set up and it records something (in public space) what is stopping the police from requesting footage ....... who pays you then

Good questions. Might just have to give the police that video. Sure not every accident does.Example: Attorney#1 calls up attorney #2 and says i have video of your client ramming my clients car. Attorney #2 says send me proof! #1 Sends video by email attachment. Attorney #2 see case is unwinnable and tells client to settle. I made $500.00 Gross on that video clip.

I can have a 4 camera system and DVR for about $1750.00. Plus shipping and installation costs.

http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/pseco4cainco.html

Attorney#1 calls up attorney #2 and says i have video of your client ramming my clients car.

ramming is a bit strong ....... could it just of been a accident in which case would insurance just sort it out.

oh I see your idea now ......... your footage turns into work for your attorney

is this not just a modern day ambulance chaser .... but with cctv....... and people wonder why insurance goes up

Attorney#1 calls up attorney #2 and says i have video of your client ramming my clients car.

ramming is a bit strong ....... could it just of been a accident in which case would insurance just sort it out.

oh I see your idea now ......... your footage turns into work for your attorney

is this not just a modern day ambulance chaser .... but with cctv....... and people wonder why insurance goes up

How is this ambulance chasing?

You can badmouth it all you want. An attorney says it is a great idea.I was not looking for commentary on the legal rights at all. I was wanting technical info.

An attorney says it is a great idea

he will say that ................. he is going to make money.

no one is bad mouthing you................... its just the idea........... have you not thought why its not done before

An attorney says it is a great idea

he will say that ................. he is going to make money.

no one is bad mouthing you................... its just the idea........... have you not thought why its not done before

have you not thought why its not done before

Yes i have thought that and then i think of Zuckberger and Facebook.Where would he be had he not tried it? Smaller dollars for me for sure.

Personally I don't think is such a terrible idea. I have considered it myself as we have a new roundabout a block away from our office that people are really having an issue with.. way to many people driving the wrong way! Our insurance companies up here like to make all accidents 50/50 fault as they collect off both parties. As a victim myself (we both apparently had green lights) I would have paid a pretty penny for some video. I have instead invested in mini dash DVRs that are recording whenever I drive.

The issues I see with Public video is getting the services to them. Hooking up to power and internet at random intersections isn't going to be easy. From what i can find battery isn't really an option and mobile data is too expensive to have streaming. Much of these people would be coming in weeks after a incident so a decent amount of storage is required. I considered going to the nearest business and offering them a free camera for there parking lot area if we could put a DVR in the building and use there internet... might be something to consider? Good luck!

Personally I don't think is such a terrible idea. I have considered it myself as we have a new roundabout a block away from our office that people are really having an issue with.. way to many people driving the wrong way! Our insurance companies up here like to make all accidents 50/50 fault as they collect off both parties. As a victim myself (we both apparently had green lights) I would have paid a pretty penny for some video. I have instead invested in mini dash DVRs that are recording whenever I drive.

The issues I see with Public video is getting the services to them. Hooking up to power and internet at random intersections isn't going to be easy. From what i can find battery isn't really an option and mobile data is too expensive to have streaming. Much of these people would be coming in weeks after a incident so a decent amount of storage is required. I considered going to the nearest business and offering them a free camera for there parking lot area if we could put a DVR in the building and use there internet... might be something to consider? Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I guess i wasn't very clear in what i posted. No cameras on public property. First location will likely be at an Olive Garden Restaurant. I can offer them free internet service(T-1 line etc) or Internet service plus dedicate a camera or two as security cameras for them. Might have to just pay them X amount per month.

I'd head on down to my local SCORE office or community college and take a several week course on developing a business plan. Crunch all the numbers. How many accidents are there? How many of those people will want video? How will they know there is video? What are they willing to pay for that? What permit and licenses are required by the various governmnet agencies? What insurance is needed? What does all that cost? What does the equipment cost per location? What are the recurring costs? Etc Etc Etc.

There are lots of ideas out there and this one has potential, but IMO there are many weeks of research and business planning to be done to see if it will work - all to be done LONG before you begin selecting equipment specs.

Wise man once said: Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

I'd head on down to my local SCORE office or community college and take a several week course on developing a business plan. Crunch all the numbers. How many accidents are there? How many of those people will want video? How will they know there is video? What are they willing to pay for that? What permit and licenses are required by the various governmnet agencies? What insurance is needed? What does all that cost? What does the equipment cost per location? What are the recurring costs? Etc Etc Etc.

There are lots of ideas out there and this one has potential, but IMO there are many weeks of research and business planning to be done to see if it will work - all to be done LONG before you begin selecting equipment specs.

Wise man once said: Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

Great idea.

1.I have a list of all high accident locations and how many per intersection

2.How many will want VIDEO? Big question.

3. I will sign up for prepaid legal service. To get input on the fees to charge

4. Prepaid legal will write my contract(i am dealing with attorneys! eek!)

5.Insurance- Pretty much $500.00 for 1 million in liability policy.

6.Permits- Not sure yet

7. Equipment and setup per location. Estimating at this time $2500.00

8. Recurring costs. Not yet totaled

In my neck of the woods you need to be a licensed low-voltage electrician to perform work on any building other than your own home. Stop by your city/county building/development office and ask them what you would need to install CCTV systems.

Ultimately, I don't think you'll be "selling" your videos to individuals. When there's an auto accident it's the insurance companies that deal with each other. The only time people and lawyers get involved is if there's a civil suit brought by one party against the other and that's probably only in a small percentage of all the total accidents. You might want to float your ideas past the claims departments of the big-5 auto insurance companies to see what they think.

the magic part is going to be able to get contact with car owners.

That magic will be accomplished by mailing letters to All Personal Injury Attorneys in my metro area.

In my neck of the woods you need to be a licensed low-voltage electrician to perform work on any building other than your own home. Stop by your city/county building/development office and ask them what you would need to install CCTV systems.

Ultimately, I don't think you'll be "selling" your videos to individuals. When there's an auto accident it's the insurance companies that deal with each other. The only time people and lawyers get involved is if there's a civil suit brought by one party against the other and that's probably only in a small percentage of all the total accidents. You might want to float your ideas past the claims departments of the big-5 auto insurance companies to see what they think.

Thanks i will check that out.

Good idea, but this would not work here in Chicago and surrounding suburbs. We have traffic cameras all over the place. Low incident traffic intersections and high incident traffic intersections. High crime street corners; just all over the place. Traffic cams are an excellent source of revenue here - fines are a minimum of $100 a pop.

I assume all one has to do is fill out a freedom of information form and get footage. Plus all the tollway and Interstate systems have cameras about every quarter mile or so and we can view them on the internet.

Your idea sounds creepy and may well prey on other's misfortune. Sounds like blood money to me resulting in really bad karma. I believe Robert Allen Zimmerman wrote about this kinda stuff a long time ago...

Let me ask you one question

Is your money that good

Will it buy you forgiveness

Do you think that it could

I think you will find

When your death takes its toll

All the money you made

Will never buy back your soul

So I've said what I felt I had to say, and I will say no more regarding this matter.

Your idea sounds creepy and may well prey on other's misfortune. Sounds like blood money to me resulting in really bad karma. I believe Robert Allen Zimmerman wrote about this kinda stuff a long time ago...

Let me ask you one question

Is your money that good

Will it buy you forgiveness

Do you think that it could

I think you will find

When your death takes its toll

All the money you made

Will never buy back your soul

So I've said what I felt I had to say, and I will say no more regarding this matter.

All i am selling is Video Data. Would you like to be able to prove in court you are right and not wrong? Push your personal opinions at the Attorneys. In your view a doctor is a bad person for charging you after you are injured. Right? How far do you want to spread your view out there?