saran

PTZ and RS-232C

I have a PTZ camera and it's only has RS-232C interface. How can I connect my PC's com port to camera's RS-232C port (9 wires from com port but only 3 slot on camera ie. Rx, Tx, and Ground)? Do I need another kind of converter?

Sara

What model PTZ do you have? What dvr are you conneting it to?

Your PTZ likely sends data in RS485. This signaly tupe can be transmitted over a twisted pair cable.

It typically gets converted to 232 before connection to a PC. Geovision offers what is called a GV-NET card.

Many dvrs build this type of converter into the unit.

It is a sony SNC-RZ25P, a PTZ IP camera that also has analog output and connect to my geovision dvr system. The camera only has RS-232C interface but not RS-485 and I have no idea how to connect it. Another question is that, the camera use VISCA protocol, what type of PTZ should I set in geovision?

Many thanks.

use the VISCA cable from the cam to your COM port and set the PTZ controls to SONY EVI-D100 and give it a try. Its been awhile since I had one of those cameras, but I believe it worked.

Scottj

Thank you scottj. I don't recieve the unit yet but as I ask the supplier they don't know about VISCA cable and I think it is because most of IP camera users will mostly use proprietary PTZ control via camera's web interface. And if it is include I don't think it is long enough for my use. The distance I need is about 10 meters and I wonder what type of cable and connector/converter should I use. The only information I can search on the web is how to convert RS-232 to RS-485 but I can't find any info about how to connect RS-232 to RS-232 itself. I can only find RS-232 to RJ45 but it has 8 wire out but the camera accept only 3 wires. Can I just match RX, TX, and GND wire and ignore the rest or I should need another converter?

Here is the easiest way to do it in my opinion when you are forced to use the VISCA (damn Sony people).

Run a Cat5e from the camera back to the DVR. Uses these connectors (or comparable) DB-9M (male) and DB-9F (female). Here is the link:

You will need a male and a female version pinned out standard serial.

http://www.ortronics.com Search these part numbers:

OR-21109DA8FKIT

OR-21109DA8MKIT

Connect the VISCA cable to the male DB-9, terminate the Cat5e as a standard patch (not a crossover), plug in the RJ-45. Plug in the other end at the DVR to the DB-9 female and connect to a COM port on the DVR.

The VISCA cable is a pain in the you know what, because it requires that Sony DIN connector to the camera. If it wasn't for that, you wouldn't have to go through this mess. Although, this method is low cost as the connectors are only a few bucks. And Cat5e is easy and cheap to run.

I used to know the pinout for the Sony DIN, but I must have misplaced the AutoCad prints we had on it. That is a sweet camera, little pricey but great for video conference. It has auto flip and all the features, including the web based management. Your best bet is to setup a tour in the web management first, then just use the Geo to interrupt the tour for manual movements.

Scottj