ultrachrome

guidance sought for planning a home surveillance system

I want to build an megapixel POE system with a PC based NVR. That much I've figured out.

We were burgled a few weeks ago, something that's never happened to me before. The cops came and shrugged their shoulders. They said they typically don't find fingerprints and none of my neighbors saw anything.

Two days later, my wife goes into labor. On our way to the hospital, I notice an individual standing on my nearby street corner (~60 feet away from my house) who turns away from me as I drive by and then places a phone call. I stop the car and called 911. He then walks across the street and gets into his vehicle and drives 6 blocks and parks. I know because I followed him and made sure he knew I followed him. I had to get to the hospital but by the time the officer got to his vehicle, he was gone.

Paranoid much? Why yes, yes I am.

So this leads me to video surveillance which is the third layer of security I'm adding after securing my home's weak points and adding a monitored alarm system.

My goal is capture footage of anyone ringing my doorbell or otherwise entering my property so I can provide to the police and/or my neighbors.

So buy a turn-key system and figure out what works/doesn't work, or start with a camera or two and build from there based on my needs?

I don't yet have a budget but I'm guessing 4-5 cameras. It seems that a decent cam is going for around $200 and up.

What cameras allow for changing lenses to get the coverage I prefer?

What about PTZ?

Here is the main area (90 degree view) I want to cover with at least 2 cameras. Another on the front door and maybe one on the other side of the house.

218197_1.jpg

Thanks in advance!

There's a lot you can do in addition to cameras, such as motion detected security lighting. They make a superb motion detection light which holds two 100-watt flood lights (I use 90-watt equivilent LED spots which are very expensive). The fixture is $50.00. On at dusk, off at dawn and a bunch of other user definable options. Mount a couple high up and you'll make that area very uncomfortable. In addition, a steel Bilco type basement door will fortify that entrance they kicked in and to get one of those suckers open they'll need a torch. But as for cameras, you really need to start with a budget. You can get decent (not great) 2 megapixel cameras for $200.00 each. Don't skimp on the PC, get an i7 machine with a 64-bit OS. You're going to need an 8-port POE switch with all 8 ports supplying POE. You're going to need a broadband internet connection and a smartphone (or other such mobile device).

Five cameras is $1,000.00. A basic i7 machine is (at least) $650.00. A POE switch that supports 8 POE ports is probably around $250.00. $150.00 for DIY Cat5e cabling. $150.00 for software and apps? $200.00 for stuff I forgot. I'm thinkin' you're looking at approximately $2,350.00 for a decent 5-camera system which would allow you to easily add additional cams for $200.00 each.

In addition, watch this BBC video. It is fascinating...

'Watching eyes' poster reduces bicycle thefts

We've done this for a few clients with security concerns...basically we add another layer of security - a zone around your house utilizing VideoIQ and video monitoring. Our theory is why wait until the threat is inside to active an alarm, get eyes on when they approach so a response can be initiated before they break in. We've set this up for clients with great success...so much so I'm adding it to my residence.

If you want to keep costs down, use a VideoIQ Rialto A4 with four analog cameras covering the perimeter. Set your rules and sign up for video monitoring. If you need some assistance, send me a PM.

There's a lot you can do in addition to cameras, such as motion detected security lighting. They make a superb motion detection light which holds two 100-watt flood lights (I use 90-watt equivilent LED spots which are very expensive). The fixture is $50.00. On at dusk, off at dawn and a bunch of other user definable options. Mount a couple high up and you'll make that area very uncomfortable. In addition, a steel Bilco type basement door will fortify that entrance they kicked in and to get one of those suckers open they'll need a torch. But as for cameras, you really need to start with a budget. You can get decent (not great) 2 megapixel cameras for $200.00 each. Don't skimp on the PC, get an i7 machine with a 64-bit OS. You're going to need an 8-port POE switch with all 8 ports supplying POE. You're going to need a broadband internet connection and a smartphone (or other such mobile device).

Five cameras is $1,000.00. A basic i7 machine is (at least) $650.00. A POE switch that supports 8 POE ports is probably around $250.00. $150.00 for DIY Cat5e cabling. $150.00 for software and apps? $200.00 for stuff I forgot. I'm thinkin' you're looking at approximately $2,350.00 for a decent 5-camera system which would allow you to easily add additional cams for $200.00 each.

Yes, I have such a light on the side of the house but will improve on it as the motion sensing has it flashing at cats and raccoons all night and it throws a lot of light were I don't necessarily need it or where my neighbors want it. It will be replace with multiple fixtures so I can better light the area not only for security but usability.

The basement door is being replaced by the insurance company with a similar but according to the contractor a slightly stouter door. I'll make sure it's installed with 3" screws instead of 1/2" and I'll add a crossbar on the inside. The cost of installing a Bilco would easily cover the costs you lay out.

Your assessment makes sense but I'm not sure I really care about remote monitoring. I'd like to feel confident that if something happens, the system will have a record of it and at a minimum be FTP'ing stills to a remote server before they find the NVR.

Need2shave, I'll google the VideoIQ and let you know if I have any questions.

The remote monitoring paired with the VideoIQ intelligence is aimed to prevent the break-in/home invasion...not just try to document it for after the fact in the hopes you have an ID shot.

The remote monitoring paired with the VideoIQ intelligence is aimed to prevent the break-in/home invasion...not just try to document it for after the fact in the hopes you have an ID shot.

Who's monitoring? I don't have time to.

I'm in the same boat, I'll share what I'm currently considering getting. I'm unsure about buying the PC pre-built or building it myself, I still need to price that out. But if you were wanting full control, flexibility and didn't want to build a PC from scratch this setup may work well for you too.

Likely 4 (2 sets) of the Swann 1080p's:

http://www.costco.com/Swann-1080p-2-Pack-NVR-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100039914.html

This PC to record (i7 core + 4gb ram for HD cams suggested):

http://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-h8xt-Desktop%2c-Intel%c2%ae-Core%e2%84%a2-i7-3770-Quad-core%2c-3.4GHz.product.100029672.html

Using Blue Iris for software:

http://blueirissoftware.com/

Netgear ProSafe GS110TP for POE Switch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPHYBA

Again, I don't have this setup, it's just what I'm considering current time.

...I'm not sure I really care about remote monitoring. I'd like to feel confident that if something happens, the system will have a record of it and at a minimum be FTP'ing stills to a remote server before they find the NVR...

Listen up: when you're not home and The Bad Guys are at your door your VMS will sense motion, activate camera(s), and will send an alert and an email to your mobile device. Attached to the email sent by the VMS is a 20-second video clip, so you can immediately get a grip on what is happening. Then, if you so desire, you can run an app on your mobile device and view a live video feed from any (or all) of your cameras. You wouldn't want that?

You have a central station monitor the video (same concept as your alarm system).

He means you pay someone to monitor the video feed from a central station.

Regarding PTZ, they're not much use in your situation. Good PTZ cameras are expensive - typically over $1000, though there are exceptions - and cheap ones tend to be unreliable. Typically, PTZ is good for a few situations:

- Someone is watching the output and can control the camera to get the images you need.

- The camera's on a patrol setting, where it scans through a routine. This is useful in some situations, but without intelligence, it can miss important views.

- You have auto-tracking software to keep the camera targetted on a moving object. This can work well, though the good stuff can be expensive, and it can get confused by shadows, animals, whatever.

In general, for home use, you're better off avoiding the good PTZ cams and spending the same money on multiple fixed cameras to cover key areas.

If you're relying on motion detection based systems to alert you - get ready for hundreds of false alarms to be emailed to you daily...that is why I suggest the VideoIQ solution.

If you're relying on motion detection based systems to alert you - get ready for hundreds of false alarms to be emailed to you daily...that is why I suggest the VideoIQ solution.

I agree that there would be false alarms but I have motion detection setup on an outdoor camera and only get false detections at night time when there is a lightning storm outside. The lightning causes one frame of the video to be overexposed and sets off the motion detection.

I believe you can achieve accurate motion alerts with a little work. As you get false alarms, review the video and tweak your detection region and sensitivity settings. If clouds are setting off the video motion detection then get a PIR motion detector or even a dual tech motion detector.

I think now there is a range of security system that help you to secure your homes and business.Because you have monitoring station facility with security system that help you to quick access to the security office if any thing wrong happen in your home.

Some of these will help, Esp on the basement door and One out front of the home.

I actually bought two of these. Nice steel signs.

178821_1.jpg

With a baby in the house more than ever I'm sure you want to secure the home.

I suggest reinforcing the entry points. Doors #1.

Basically a thin steel frame inside the door frame.... With Holes cut out for the locks.

219640_1.jpg

219640_2.jpg

Something like this... It's basically Kick proof.

http://kickproof.com/

theres also products like these. But then you have to remember to place them and remove them which might be too much of a hassle.

For the door reinforcements, go to Amazon and search on door reinforcement. There are lots of reviews of them, and it makes it easier to pick the ones that will work for you.

Door jamb armor or ezarmor are good too since they reinforce the door, door jamb and hinges.